Not open for further replies.

SabreMc

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
Hi all, does anyone in Australia offer A1200 recap services? Within Queensland would be preferable (I can deliver it myself if you're anywhere in SEQ), but I can still post it if necessary. I don't know if any caps are leaking or if there's been any damage, and haven't had any issues so far, but I figure it can't hurt to get it done either way to save myself a headache down the road :3

Hi all, does anyone in Australia offer A1200 recap services? Within Queensland would be preferable (I can deliver it myself if you're anywhere in SEQ), but I can still post it if necessary. I don't know if any caps are leaking or if there's been any damage, and haven't had any issues so far, but I figure it can't hurt to get it done either way to save myself a headache down the road :3
Hi mate, I am in Melbourne, no I don't offer a recap service but I do a bit of recapping, mainly on Apple IIs. Had an interesting case of wobbly brightness on a IIc monitor recently, traced it to a dried up 1uF 350V electrolytic on the flyback circuit. Also on a IIe I am currently waiting for some film caps from Mouser (470nF and 100nF 275VAC+ which are placed across the power line to prevent RF escaping out I believe), these exploded making an unholy mess, and also a 330uF 16V electrolytic in the output stage, there are 3 or 4 identical caps but one has the top puffed up so looks like something happened to it. I ordered 10 but I am only going to replace the one, and see how it goes. Personally I am a big proponent of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" which means I may spend more time doing diagnostics but I am less likely to fry a track, etc, through too enthusiastic recapping. Having said that, if there is some intermittent fault, etc, then recapping is an option after having tried obvious things such as reseating the ICs etc. So in summary I recommend NOT to recap your A1200 if it is working without problems. If you still want to recap I am happy to show you how to order the correct caps from Digikey or Mouser, and to help you put them in if you can make it to Melbourne with the A1200 and the caps. A dude has posted a good tutorial on how to desolder components which I can find and link if you need. I use an elderly Weller soldering iron which costs about $200~$250 if you buy the latest version, the other things you need are solder, flux, sharp cutters and a solder sucker. I have not yet got around to ordering one of these since I read the article, although they are only a few dollars on Ebay, and have been using solder wick without any problems, however the dude recommends against solder wick.
cheers, Nick

Hi nick-d

I am in Melbourne and was wondering if you would be able to replace the time keeper chip in a Phillips CD-i player?? Its a mongrel of a chip that has the battery inside it and keeps game save data ect in memory. I managed to buy a few time keeper chips on ebay many moons ago as well as sockets so replacing the chips in the future is easier. PM me if your interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom