Build advice needed for Amiga 1200 for gaming

StylinLP38

Country
US
Region
Arizona
Hello all. My 2nd post. 25 yrs ago I sold my stock Amiga 1200 for a Windows 3.1 PC and miss those Amiga days greatly. I remember fondly all those games like Wings, Dungeon Master and Red Storm Rising. I am in Phoenix Az and finally scored an Amiga 1200 from the UK and it is on its way. I am seeking advice what to buy next to upgrade this Amiga 1200 to be everything I would want it to be on the best quality display I can get. My use for the Amiga is to play original Amiga games on the 8GB CF harddrive. Use Deluxe Paint, write and receive email, surf the web. Word processor to write blogs. I don't create animations or videos so no need for a Video Toaster.

The Amiga 1200 I won off UK Ebay is the following:

Professionally Recapped using HQ Capacitors
Fully tested and includes a 8gb cf card fully loaded (Whdload etc) Latest Version
Please note you will need a Ram expansion of 4mb and above to use Whdload
Floppy drive fully serviced and working correctly<br>Will come with power supply & Mouse

What should I buy?

1. Do I need a new power supply or should I just use my power supply transcoder that will convert power types?
2. Ram Expansion?
3. Accelerator?
4. Ethernet card or wifi card?
5. I guess I do not need USB ports. Should I keep that Floppy drive installed or why would I need to remove it?
6. Best way to display Amiga Workbench and games on a CRT monitor?

This is super confusion. Ive been looking at Sony PVM and BVM monitors which cost quite a bit of money. But I have also been looking at other CRT monitors with RGB inputs that cost so much less money. But from what I read on the specs is that they typically only go down to 50hz. Not the 15hz I guess I need? I know I do not want to use a LED/LCD monitor. I have 6 spare ones laying around with VGA DB15 inputs. <br>How does the Amiga behave if you buy the Scart to VGA cable or adapter and connect to one of these cheaper NOS 19" CRT monitors that only go down to 50hz? Do I still need a scan doubler? If I get a SOny PVM monitor I don't need a scan doubler? The choice of monitors on ebay is staggering and don't know what can be used for the Amiga. I see that Amiga stores sell line doublers to install inside your Amiga, I see line Double boxes sold on ebay.<br><br>I have read that Amiga 1200 beginning guide PDF posted over at Amiga World noobie FAQ section.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi I recommend converting an AT or ATX PSU (you can use the end off any old Amiga PSU, preferably a dead one)

There is a nice FAQ here on Amibay also:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?16681

Simply put a 4 or 8mb Ram board will serve you well, if you want to do a bit more than WHDload a 1230 Turbo Board or similar is a sound investment.

Good luck with your project.

Alright, it seems that the ACA 1233 is the only Accelerator board to get these days. Best choice there is.
What about any CRT monitor? I don't see this one going down to 15hz
SAMSUNG SynMaster753DF 17" CRT Flat Screen MONITOR

Back
Top Bottom