Help with getting the 040/060 adapter to work

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I finally got the the 040/060 adapter and installed it on my A3640. I have a 60 MHz EC060 CPU. Which now resides on the adapter.

My A4000 has OS3.9 installed with Boing Bags 1, 2, 3 and 4. As such the A4000 only guru'd to 8000 000B, so I proceeded to install the MMU Library with the included script over UAE on my CF card.

At that point I was presented with a yellow warning text about 040. I looked into the manual and proceeded to copy the 060.library over to Libs.

Now, after the Individion splash, I just get a black screen and the hard disk stops loading. The same hard disk does work under UAE, though.

The adapter itself has been tested working in another system, and my A4000 has booted with the original 3640. I also have a crystal that matches the 060 frequency.

Did I miss something in my installation?

Do you have the patched exec in rom?

Last edited:
I don't think so, as I don't have Romy. It's standard 3.1

LC? isn't that one without FPU and MMU! so MMU libs will fail..

I did take those libs.

Last edited:
Well, not exactly the lib above but this: http://aminet.net/util/libs/MMULib.lha

Is there a difference between the two?

I should probably do a very basic 3.1 setup to verify my hardware. I suppose I just need the 3.1 installed with the Thor lib and new enough SetPatch, right?

Some update. I got my A4000 up and running in the sense that it boots into the Workbench, although it looks like I have to reinstall my OS3.9.

Anyhoo, the A4000 will boot but only once, when it's cool. Any immeediate power cycle will result with a black screen and it's not clicking the floppy disk drive.

I'm hoping that it's just a matter of the 060 not sitting properly in the socket, although it is damned tight already and I don't seem to be able to get it go down further by just pressing it with my fingers.

Finally got it working. I had not pressed the CPU deep enough and I also needed to underclock the CPU to 50 MHz from the nominal 60. Apparently the 50 MHz is the best my 3640 is capable of.

Also going to have to reinstall OS3.9, but at least it's working with 3.1 now.

Back
Top Bottom