My New Toy

Another lot to add to the collection; power supplies, irons and an electric screwdriver

Another lot to add to the collection; power supplies, irons and an electric screwdriver

Picked up another lot deal from a Canadian seller; this time I managed to get some power supplies (2 with snap vac) to pair up with all the spare hand pieces I've got kicking around. After this I'll definitely need to start bundling some of the spares into sets for sale (y)

01_May2019Lot.jpg

Lot included 2x model PPS-85 three-channel digital stations; which is why I grabbed it -- if even just one of them worked it was worth the cost of the lot, and luckily both appear to be functional :)

The other two PACE supplies are basic analog models; the two channel one doesn't actually contain a vacuum -- it just has a pass-through air port. Additionally there's a Weller WTCPT, a set of OK Industries hot tweezers, and a bonus item which wasn't readily visible in the original listing photos which turned out to be an electric screwdriver.

Included PACE tools were: 4 irons (SP-2A, 2x PS-70, PS-80), a TJ-70 ThermoJet and 2x TT-65 Tweezers. Also included was an SX-70 Sodr-X-Tractor which had a broken handle and heater mount, but since there was a TP-65 ThermoPik included too (not pictured) I quickly pilfered parts from it to refurbish the SX-70 ;)

Interestingly one of the PPS-85 had an unusually strong vacuum but no air output; and it was much louder than the other MBT units:

02_PPS80_Modded.jpg

After taking it apart I found that someone had replaced/modded the pump (based on service manual schematics) with a newer replacement meant for the PRC-2000. Some of the air lines had become disconnected so I re-connected them and tried it again; but the output pressure was so high it kept blowing the hoses and filter apart.. I ended up having to remove the outflow filter and replace and zip-tie the pressure port hose so that it could handle the extra force. I've decided to put this one on the bench now in place of the analog PPS-80 since it's an absolute champ at extracting solder with that pump installed :LOL:.

Finally there was what turned out to be an electric screwdriver in the lot; it didn't have driver bit installed, wasn't described and was partly hidden in the original listing photos so I wasn't really sure what it was until I had it in hand.

There was a note attached to it that said it "Needed a new motor"; and after powering it up it seemed to work if you knocked it around bit; which I managed to narrow down to something in the forward/reverse switch area. Taking apart the handle revealed that wire for the switch had just broken away from the solder joint and was touching it intermittently if you tapped the handle.

03_Electric_Screwdriver.jpg 04_ES_Broken_Wire.jpg

Re-soldering the connection brought it to life; and after looking it up I found that it's a "HIOS CL-4000" which is an "ESD-safe automatic clutch-type low torque" electric screwdriver. So far it's been a delight to use :D it zips screws out easily and drives them back in perfectly by stopping at the desired torque -- which is adjustable via the front ring. I'm definitely keeping this one hooked up on the bench as a regular tool now and hope to pick up a set of tips for it to replace the random mix of screwdrivers I currently use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom