Apple Macintosh LC II - Hard Drive

KatakisAU

Country
Australia
Region
VIC
I just acquired an Apple Macintosh LC II which I tested the following day after I got it. It powers on fine, you hear the startup chime, and the display/audio is fine. However, I hear this loud whistling noise coming from inside the unit that varies in pitch, and found out that it's the Quantum HD inside. I've uploaded a video demonstrating what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUXfS_eWHU

As you can see, the HD spins up properly, but the arm/heads start moving in a erratic way, then they settle near the edge of the platter and that is where the whistling noise comes in, but this gets louder and louder to the point where I have to turn the LC II off immediately. Should I see in getting it repaired or get another HD? Thoughts?

you opened it ????

yes its definitely broken now.

heads looks like they have crashed into the platters,youll never get that drive to work now

shouldnt of opened the drive,its scrap now

exposure to the outside world = instant death (the don't open stickers are there for a reason), unless your in a "clean room" like where they manufacture silicon wafers, and you don't turn the hard disk on without controlled airflow.

the drive head floats over the drive, the turbulence created by the air flow (like a formula one car air fins) cause the head to crash against the head as it moves left to right not to mention all the dust in the air collecting on the head like a record needle. as the air pressure inside the hard disk is controlled via a breather hole and stops dust getting inside.1 fleck of dust can kill a hard disk as it gets dragged around the platters.

its dead jim.....

Last edited:
Opening it doesn't necessarily mean it's what's caused the fault (older ones are generally more resilient to the outside contact), however any spec of dust or contaminant could render the drive completely unsalvageable. Only open them if it's a very last resort!

50 pin SCSI's are fairly easy to get hold of so don't worry too much.

As roy said, if anything has come in contact that shouldn't be touching, you can pretty much write off the drive as the tolerances are almost nil.

Opening a harddrive is a very bad idea. Even as little as the wrong torque of the screws that hold the harddrive cover in place can screw up an hdd.

Opening a harddrive is a very bad idea. Even as little as the wrong torque of the screws that hold the harddrive cover in place can screw up an hdd.
we are talking about drives from the beginning of the 90S here. Yes modern ones are far more finicky but these old Quantum's are pretty basic and are much less susceptible to differences. I'd be surprised if one failed from a slightly undone screw.

Thanks for all the answers. Been very busy and haven't had time to reply yet.

Right now, I am considering a COMPAQ or Seagate (Cheetah or Savvo). What I would like to know if these support narrow mode and does it matter if it is Ultra320?

Also, about the adapter: I was thinking of getting one of these two:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Generic-...638760?hash=item3d19402328:g:ixIAAOSw2gxYx4N7

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adapter-...id=100005&rk=1&rkt=5&mehot=pp&sd=262416638760

The first one is 3.81" x 1.63" x . 4375", so it should fit in my LC II.

Back
Top Bottom