3-Button, Optical Boing Mouse

RetroM2

Country
USA
Region
California
Hello,
I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this mouse I stumbled across. It appears to be a 3-button, optical mouse, labeled "The Boing Mouse" which may be intended for use with an Amiga from what little I was able to find online. Does anyone know a timeframe for when these were manufactured, or have any other information about them?
Thanks in advance.

Mouse1.jpgMouse3.jpg

I believe this is a PC mouse (originally) that could have been adapted from the factory to be used on Amiga's though I can't personally confirm this. THis is a very early optical mouse and unlike the ones that came out about 10 or so years later, it will only work on a pristine bespoke silvery ridged mat (and even then they were a bit crap, just imagine how unuseable they became when you actually started to add general wear to it).

There were maube a few examples for Amiga's. I know AlphaData did one for certain.

I can't find any definitive info on 'The Boing Mouse', Model M4Q presumably indicates it is an M-4 mouse (from around about 1987)

THis is a very early optical mouse and unlike the ones that came out about 10 or so years later, it will only work on a pristine bespoke silvery ridged mat

Exactly that - which is why the mat was bundled with it in the first place.
I've seen this advertised/reviewed probably in the early 90's but can't definitely remember if it was on an Amiga magazine.

Here's a video reviewing the IBM PC version of this mouse

Looks like the boing mouse may be a Amiga version of said mouse.

The Boing Mouse started selling around 1988 for the Amiga so that a high quality 3 button mouse was available for my X Window System. The mouse was made by Mouse Systems Corp

I guess they came around as multi-platform mice. I've a very similar one with a metalic pad, that came with my Sun Ultra 1 machine, but has an 8-pin connector that looks like a PS2 one.

Back
Top Bottom