Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Amiga CDTV gotek base for 3D printing (also for A500/600/1200)

Country
    Uk
    Region:
    Lancashire
    Feedback
    131 (100%)
    Blog Entries

Hi crazy Bob , please keep us posted on the progresss of this. I would really like a gotek set for my cdtv.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBob View Post
    Hello, yes absolutely!

I haven't been able to work much on this for the last month, other priorities and also I had to completely rebuild my 3D printer... new bearings, head, belts, fans, clips, heaters, changes in electronic, etc....

Drive has been fitted and everything is connected.
    'm currently working on making the drive image selector controlable via the CDTV IR remote.
    I.e.: rewind = previous disk, fastforward = next disk.

Before the end of this week I know if everything works as expected.

I also made a decision on the buttons and unfortunatly I won't continue with building these.
    The fitting was quite OK (as far as I could test it, the original buttons on my CDTV are in the way), but the material fails on flexability.
    They tend to break after just a couple of presses, not something I can fix easily. Especially because I can't test it properly.

Having said that, the Gotek drive fits nicely and I will reply to those who expressed interest in this thread soon.
    Note: If you can't wait for a little bit longer; I've seen an other AmiBay user printing these and selling them here on Amibay:
    http://www.amibay.com/member.php?3907-cocomocho
    http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...-printed-in-3D

Next update is coming soon
    Im looking a a Infra red CDTV mouse and CDTV External Hard Drive and Amiga x1000 case or even full unit. Please contact me.
    Most of my sale items here in the messages section of my profile: http://www.amibay.com/member.php?5591-limboy777

Country
    The Netherlands
    Region:
    Limburg
    Feedback
    107 (100%)

Hi limboy777, some progress has been made:
    - The modification to the CDTV motherboard to enable an internal diskdrive works
    - I've used an Arduino Pro mini to control the disk select part via the CDTV remote control this also works
    Down+A+B = disk select mode, then disks can be changed by using the volume Up / Down buttons
    I will share the Arduino source soon, needs cleaning up and I need to improve the normal IR signal for the CDTV.

I've recently rebuild my 3D printer and it still needs some fine-tuning.
    As a test I will print several CDTV Gotek 3D fronts upcoming weekend and will inform you (and others) when they are ready and the quality is OK.

So if you want to continue with the mod, the electrical part is now confirmed working
    Note: more pictures will follow soon
    Commodore A600HD/40

Country
    The Netherlands
    Region:
    Limburg
    Feedback
    107 (100%)

Just an update on how far I am with this project.

Good news:
    - The motherboard modification works, the CDTV boots from disk drive.
    For everyone who wants to perform this mod, I hereby can confirm it works.
    - Switching disk images can be controlled via de remote control

Bad news:
    - The original IR signal with CDTV commands has issues, I need to examine this further.
    - My 3D printer keeps on having issues... I can't reliably print items, a lot of mechanical issues...and a lot of parts have already been changed...

Due to the last issues the CDTV is not finished yet, so unfortunately no closure for now.
    I have to put this project on-hold due to time restrictions and will pick up later this year.

Any questions on this mod, feel free to ask them.
    Commodore A600HD/40

Country
    Livorno, Italy
    Region:
    Toscana
    Feedback
    102 (100%)

Keep us updated

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    Uusimaa
    Feedback

Some great work you've done with 3D modelling. I already printed the memory card panel and it was perfect. I would like to try to print the buttons as well but you haven't shared that model. My friend who is used to print says that the printing angle affects the durability and flexibility of the model.

Let me know if you can share the model and I'll have a go with it.

Country
    The Netherlands
    Region:
    Limburg
    Feedback
    107 (100%)

@likanen: Great that the 3D model of the front fits

I'm not going to finish the work on the buttons because I can't check it on my CDTV's.
    The OpenSCAD source can be downloaded here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2547276

Enjoy it, rebuild it, do what ever you like with it ..... and please share the results

3D printed version can be ordered here: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...-printed-in-3D

Questions can be asked via PM
    Last edited by CrazyBob; 28th September 2017 at 17:00.
    Commodore A600HD/40

Country
    Livorno, Italy
    Region:
    Toscana
    Feedback
    102 (100%)

Any news?

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    Uusimaa
    Feedback

Just got into installing the print last weekend. It sits fine and @CrazyBob has done good work so that the original button support bar can remain in the device. That being said, the feel is very weird (the buttons seem to go down instead of inwards when pressed, this might be because the other end of the print has no attachment point), and I can't seem to get the buttons to do anything. Then again, I don't have any CDs to go with my CDTV, so I can't really say what the buttons should do in the default screen. I would have assumed reset to do something All in all, CDTV looks better with them than just two holes in the front panel. I'm still in the search for black disk drive to actually try to load any games I have from the 80s.

I did find the original buttons inside the panel, and I'm wondering if they would hold on if glued...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234