Amiga CDTV gotek base for 3D printing (also for A500/600/1200)

Sure I can print these sets for you, I will send a PM when I have these printed

I haven't seen the front buttons been 3D modeled, if you know a source that would be great.
Else I can have a look to create replacement buttons.

What happend with your button?
Did it snap off the internal frame?
Is only the reset button missing or also the CD/TV button next to it?

I've created a first version of an addon module to the existing frame which includes both the CD/TV and reset button.
I still need to print this and experiment with it a bit.

first_version_of_buttons.png

Hello CrazyBob

very good design

I'm also interested in 2 of the gotek prints and if you do manage to make the reset button print I'm also interested in one for my CDTV

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks a lot!
I didn't realise the two buttons were one piece!
On my cdtv the reset part is snapped off. No idea what happened to it, received it like this..
Actually, the previous/next buttons are missing too :)

The Reset & CD/TV buttons seem to fit nicely (by measuring), unfortunately I cannot test them because the buttons on my CDTV are OK.
The buttons have been setup modular so I can select to print the reset button with support or only the CD/TV button. (or both)

I will see if I can make the other buttons but the focus now is on finishing this Gotek build so I can close the CDTV case.

Anyone who wants 3D items printed from my Thingiverse page can send me a PM message.
https://www.thingiverse.com/_CrazyBob_/designs

I will contact the persons who already declared interest in 3D parts later this week.

Thanks for the interest so far, when I finish the electrical part I will contact everyone in this thread and PM who declared interest.
Here's a small update on the progress.

Pins which need to be connected to the floppy cable:
floppy_schematic.jpg

Pinout_2.jpg

floppy_schematic_extra_ports_2.jpg

Materials used; FDD connectors and cable:
20170605_190737_2.jpg

Kapton tape for protecting cables from pins underneath motherboard and metal frame:
20170606_180341_2.jpg

Result:
20170605_183614_2.jpg

20170605_185835_2.jpg

20170605_190124_2.jpg

Note: I've re-routed the SEL0-2 signals to be SEL1-3 on the external FDD port

Hey there, any progress on this?
I'm still very interested in a print of the mounting kit and some buttons :)
Failed to realise there was so much hackery needed to fit an internal drive!
I guess using the electronics of an external drive and routing the cable from the rear would be easier (but uglier of course, haha)
Keep up the good work!

Hello, yes absolutely!

I haven't been able to work much on this for the last month, other priorities and also I had to completely rebuild my 3D printer... new bearings, head, belts, fans, clips, heaters, changes in electronic, etc....

Drive has been fitted and everything is connected.
Í'm currently working on making the drive image selector controlable via the CDTV IR remote.
I.e.: rewind = previous disk, fastforward = next disk.

Before the end of this week I know if everything works as expected.

I also made a decision on the buttons and unfortunatly I won't continue with building these.
The fitting was quite OK (as far as I could test it, the original buttons on my CDTV are in the way), but the material fails on flexability.
They tend to break after just a couple of presses, not something I can fix easily. Especially because I can't test it properly.

Having said that, the Gotek drive fits nicely and I will reply to those who expressed interest in this thread soon.
Note: If you can't wait for a little bit longer; I've seen an other AmiBay user printing these and selling them here on Amibay:
https://www.amibay.com/member.php?3907-cocomocho
https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?93263-Support-Gotek-CDTV-printed-in-3D

Next update is coming soon (y)

Hi crazy Bob , please keep us posted on the progresss of this. I would really like a gotek set for my cdtv.

Hello, yes absolutely!

I haven't been able to work much on this for the last month, other priorities and also I had to completely rebuild my 3D printer... new bearings, head, belts, fans, clips, heaters, changes in electronic, etc....

Drive has been fitted and everything is connected.
Í'm currently working on making the drive image selector controlable via the CDTV IR remote.
I.e.: rewind = previous disk, fastforward = next disk.

Before the end of this week I know if everything works as expected.

I also made a decision on the buttons and unfortunatly I won't continue with building these.
The fitting was quite OK (as far as I could test it, the original buttons on my CDTV are in the way), but the material fails on flexability.
They tend to break after just a couple of presses, not something I can fix easily. Especially because I can't test it properly.

Having said that, the Gotek drive fits nicely and I will reply to those who expressed interest in this thread soon.
Note: If you can't wait for a little bit longer; I've seen an other AmiBay user printing these and selling them here on Amibay:
https://www.amibay.com/member.php?3907-cocomocho
https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?93263-Support-Gotek-CDTV-printed-in-3D

Next update is coming soon (y)

Hi limboy777, some progress has been made:
- The modification to the CDTV motherboard to enable an internal diskdrive works (y)
- I've used an Arduino Pro mini to control the disk select part via the CDTV remote control this also works :)
Down+A+B = disk select mode, then disks can be changed by using the volume Up / Down buttons
I will share the Arduino source soon, needs cleaning up and I need to improve the normal IR signal for the CDTV.

I've recently rebuild my 3D printer and it still needs some fine-tuning.
As a test I will print several CDTV Gotek 3D fronts upcoming weekend and will inform you (and others) when they are ready and the quality is OK.

So if you want to continue with the mod, the electrical part is now confirmed working (y)
Note: more pictures will follow soon

Just an update on how far I am with this project.

Good news:
- The motherboard modification works, the CDTV boots from disk drive.
For everyone who wants to perform this mod, I hereby can confirm it works.
- Switching disk images can be controlled via de remote control (y)

Bad news:
- The original IR signal with CDTV commands has issues, I need to examine this further.
- My 3D printer keeps on having issues... I can't reliably print items, a lot of mechanical issues...and a lot of parts have already been changed...

Due to the last issues the CDTV is not finished yet, so unfortunately no closure for now.
I have to put this project on-hold due to time restrictions and will pick up later this year.

Any questions on this mod, feel free to ask them.

Some great work you've done with 3D modelling. I already printed the memory card panel and it was perfect. I would like to try to print the buttons as well but you haven't shared that model. My friend who is used to print says that the printing angle affects the durability and flexibility of the model.

Let me know if you can share the model and I'll have a go with it.

Last edited:
Just got into installing the print last weekend. It sits fine and @CrazyBob has done good work so that the original button support bar can remain in the device. That being said, the feel is very weird (the buttons seem to go down instead of inwards when pressed, this might be because the other end of the print has no attachment point), and I can't seem to get the buttons to do anything. Then again, I don't have any CDs to go with my CDTV, so I can't really say what the buttons should do in the default screen. I would have assumed reset to do something :) All in all, CDTV looks better with them than just two holes in the front panel. I'm still in the search for black disk drive to actually try to load any games I have from the 80s.

I did find the original buttons inside the panel, and I'm wondering if they would hold on if glued...

crazyb, do you actually sell the printed mounts, or do we have to find someplace to get them printed ourselves, i require 2x 1200 gotek mounts, in black if possible.

thanks

dave

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom