Amiga 2000 Megachip project!

Tuxbar81

Country
France
Region
Midi-Pyrenees
Here is the Megachip project version for the Amiga 2000.

As the A500 version, it will be soldered onto the motherboard.
Here, the Agnus will be plugged in a PLCC socket.

CPCB4.jpg CPCB3.jpg

Voilà!

Last edited:
Thank you everybody for your comments! :)

Before opening a "For sale thread", I have to order some PCBs and to make tests to see if everything is okay.
The schematic is the same as the A500 version, so, that should work without any problem.

@Tuxbar81
I am totally interested for one of these little boards. Will you release these assembled with agnus chip too?

@Tuxbar81
I am totally interested for one of these little boards. Will you release these assembled with agnus chip too?

At this time, I don't know. I'll make a little batch of PCBs at the same time as the second batch for the A500 version.
When the A2000 version will be tested, I'll open a thread for interested people.

This is in all likelihood a stupid question to many, but since I'm just getting back into the Amiga world, I don't know the answer. Is this being offered because you can't buy the version that plugs into the socket anymore or is this an improvement to that? Like I said, probably a stupid question.

This is in all likelihood a stupid question to many, but since I'm just getting back into the Amiga world, I don't know the answer. Is this being offered because you can't buy the version that plugs into the socket anymore or is this an improvement to that? Like I said, probably a stupid question.

There is no stupid question! The socket used for plugging the Megachip directly onto the socket of the AGNUS is always available. I could have them for 27.40€/piece.

If I wanted, I could also make a version of the Megachip with this solution, but I have decided to design the Megachip with pins for two reasons:
1- With this solution, no problems of contact due to poor quality of the AGNUS socket of the Amiga motherboard.
2- The board it really closed to the motherboard, and like that, it's possible to install other expansions like an Accelerator board. In the A2000, you can use an accelerator board installed into the slot, or you can also use an A500 accelerator installed onto the 68000 socket.

Yeah interested as well.

A stupid question, are you using a male PLCC socket so you you can stick into the socket that is already on the 2000 motherboard?

Cheers, Jakob.

The prototype PCBs have been sent by the factory. I should have them before the end of the next week.
Do you have an update for us? Are the prototypes running?
I'm looking forward to upgrade some of my A2000 with your great adapter :)

Hi,

Here is the A2000 Megachip version! Running perfectly.

As for the A500, the Megachip must be soldered onto the motherboard, or you have to solder female/male pins onto the motherboard.

Regards,
Franck.

IMG_20180128_2.jpg IMG_20180128_0.jpg IMG_20180128_3.jpg

As soon as I'll have open a For sale thread. So please, no reservation here. Thanks a lot. :)

Last edited:
As I always said your a genius Franck !

Don't listen to all the naysayers in the 500 thread. Real life comes first , I knew you'd come though ..... you always do (y)

Back
Top Bottom