A1200 with intermitant boot issue

deadlock

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Merseyside
Hi guys and gals, I am recently back in the classic Amiga scene after a long period away and an trying to resurrect my A1200 in EZ tower. I am having intermittent problems with it booting. Sometimes it will power on but just go to a black screen with no insert disk graphic and it could take several resets to eventually get it to come on.
I have disconnect everything except the floppy and keyboard but still experiencing the problem. It appears stable enough when loaded up, not seem any crashes yet.

My Amiga is an original Commodore A1200 the board says REV 1 0.3

I looked at the capacitors and none look to be blown (they are all original though). I am using a PC ATX power supply so it should be providing more than enough juice for a stock A1200 with no accelerator board installed. I removed the 3.1 ROMs and went back to the original 3.0 but still doing it.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

ALWAYS replace original Commodore capacitors. They prone to create wired problems - including system stability.

Certainly sounds like it could be a caps issue.

If it hasn't ben recapped, and you're hoping to enjoy your Amiga for an extended period, look to get the board recapped by one of the guys on here. There are several very competant in this area able and willing to do this for you at a good price.

If it wasn't for @bebek, my A4000 would still be dead in its box. Now I've been using it regularly for 4 years. :)

Last edited:
I thought it could be the capacitors myself. How much is an approximate cost to have it recapped by someone verse buying a recapping kit and a soldering iron to do it myself?

as your in the UK give thecorfiot a PM

there are many members who can offer this service I can move this thread to a wanted service thread or just create one and decide what's best / price via PM.

my 1200 needs recapping (scratchy sound) otherwise works great but im just putting off the inevitable as it's probably easting itself,,, must get it done...

Back
Top Bottom