Closed Stereo sound upgrade for C64 - StereoSID (MixSID) & nanoSID with LED light

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjCook

8 Bit Dreams
Blogger
Rating - 100%
330   0   0
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
Hi folks!
Having rainy weather here in Bavaria i was thinking what can i do today my retro computer collection related..
Always wanted a stereo upgrade for my C64, as I am a real fan of SID sound, i do like to listen these tunes.
found an open source project from H. Bekel recently, it's a stereo board and channel mixer in one unit, decided to build one and test it.
have expected this will be a nice addon.. But.. Wow! I mean WOOOW!!!
Have tried various setups with 6581 & 8580, 6581 & 6581, 8580 & 8580, 6581 & nanoSID, 8580 &nanoSID – the stereo effect is absolutely amasing!
20170625_164042.jpg mixsid.jpg 20170625_164031.jpg

About MixSID on ilesj's blog:

https://ilesj.wordpress.com/2016/10/07/mixsid-dual-sid-board/

Short description:

The MixSID is a stereo SID board for the C64/C128 that can be used with any combination of SID models on a wide range of C64 & C128 mainboards. Features include an integrated stereo channel mixer, pragmatic stereo addressing scheme, flexible handling of io areas, onboard audio input, output and digiboost circuits, dedicated stereo output, full paddle compatibility and versatile digital control.
The board fits on the most common C64 & C128 mainboard models, namely 250407, 250425, 250466 (breadbox) and 250469 (flat case).
It probably won't fit on the early 326298 and KU14194HB models, it may fit into an SX64 (it was not tested, as i don't own SX atm)
The board and component dimensions were carefully chosen to allow installation in either flat or breadbox type C64 cases.

Both +12V and +9V can be generated directly on the board, making the choice of SID models independent from the C64 mainboard – I think it is a nice feature, since SID’s become rare & expensive nowadays - You don't have to care about SID version You like to use

On older mainboards, the +12V provided at the SID socket are used to generate the +9V for the 8580. On the later 250469 (short) mainboard both voltages are generated from the +20V available at the cathode lead of CR3.

Jumpers are used to configure the SID model and mainboard type, making it easy to use the same build on different mainboards and with different SIDs. There is no need to settle for a specific setup at build time.
The integrated channel mixer controls which SID output appears on which stereo output channel. Listen to a single SID in mono, or listen to both SIDs in stereo.

Four different mixer settings are available:

SID1 on both channels (mono)
SID2 on both channels (mono)
SID1 on left channel, SID2 on right channel (stereo)
SID1 on right channel, SID2 on left channel (stereo)
At the moment I can offer only few (8 pieces) of these MixSID boards, as I have ordered a small bunch of them. I don’t even know are here enough interest for them or not. The other reason - is the building time, as I have a full time work, can’t solder them daily – on weekends only.

Asking 60€ for one fully populated ready to install board
NEW: 40€ for DIY set
Paypal as a friend/family, or add 4% to total to have Paypal protection.
IBAN payment also can be accepted.
Detailed documentation about setup is included

Also offering nanoSID’s for this board or just to buy separately.
These SID’s was designed to install in transparent startup cases, they have LED light on the bottom (looks pretty cool, colour can be choosen between red, yellow, green, or blue).
20170625_163544.jpg 2017-06-25 17.00.50.jpg light.jpg

Asking 15€ per piece

Shipping to all country's is 7,00€ tracked & insured
will try to combine postage (max 500g) if several parts are purchased!
with best regards from Germany,
-Viktor
Thanks for watching! :)

Last edited:
PM was sent

EDIT
Deal wasn't successful, not heard from Nezgodka anymore

Last edited:
Bump

EDIT 16.10.2017
user Kresko declared interest in 1x PLA replacement for C64 via PM,
payment is received, will post the item and update tracking info via PM soon

Last edited:
Hi there. Any idea if these stereo sid upgrades work with Cynthcart and Mssiah carts?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
don't have any Cynthcart and Mssiah carts to test, however, i am pretty sure it does, cause simple stereoSID works, MixSID has same functions + more possibilities for setup (like two different kind SID's -6581 & 8580, volume for each channel, filters, and so on) and sound mixing - that's the way it works

Hello soviet9922,
Yes, still have some assembled units and also DIY kits
Kind regards,

Viktor

This board can be installed on a commodore 128 ?
User
soviet9922
declared interest in PM for one DIY kit,
payment info was sent, awaiting payment

- - - - Edit - - - -
payment received from user
soviet9922
for 1x DIY kit + tracked shipping,
will update tracking info via PM as soon as parcel be sent

- - - - Edit - - - -
parcel sent to user
soviet9922
(1x DIY kit)
tracking info sent in PM

Last 3 units left!

regards,

-Viktor

Last edited:
Please close this thread!

Please close this thread!

@Mods:
All items are sold out - please close this thread!
Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom