Violo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
Italia
Region
Ancona
Hi,
i'm looking for a solid state storage for my A2000. Actually i'm using the A2091 board with a SCSI Hard Disk. I would like to replace SCSI HD with a solid state Compact Flash or SD.

Thanks
A.

You'd probably be better off adding (or replacing the A2019 with) an IDE card. Good SCSI <-> IDE adapters are rare and highly expensive. Been there. Seen that. The only somewhat reasonable option is the SCSI <-> SD but it is painfully slow. Especially visible with accelerator boards.

Have a look at the ide 4 zorro 2 card at amedia in France

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got a SCSI2SD adaptor on a GVP scsi zorro card. took ALOT of work to setup. loads more than a CF on an IDE on a 600//1200.

good points - lots of storage, compared to the quantum 52mb original, less heat etc
bad points - setup skill, way beyond mine, also will only boot with a vulcan death grip restart.

Thanks but is more expensive than Amigakit SCSI adapter and with this i cannot use the SCSI controller (with RAM).

I would like to know why RobA1200 wrote that configure SCSItoSD is not easy... from AmigaKit page it seems to be quiete "plug&play".

I have a v5 SCSI2SD in my 2000, connected to my G-Force 030's SCSI chain. It was a breeze to setup on my Linux box (you will need a suitable USB cable, the SCSI2SD tools are super easy to use and configure) and install in my 2000. I have a 16GB SD card split into 4 virtual devices. It works flawlessly, and in my experience faster than what I used to get with a Buddha with TrueIDE.

Last edited:
Thanks fabbie54...
so SCSI2SD needs to be prepared in a PC, not in Amiga environment?

I would like to use this adapter in my A2091 or GVP Impact 2000 HC+8... do you think is possible? I think yes... you can use where we can place an HD, or not?

Thanks fabbie54...
so SCSI2SD needs to be prepared in a PC, not in Amiga environment?

The tools at http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD are available for Mac, Windows and Linux. I used the latter, on a Fedora 24 box. I imagine the experience is similar on Windows and Mac.
The source is available, I have been toying with the idea of trying to port it to OS 3.x with ixemul and Poseidon, but my Amiga OS development chops are super rusty :)

I would like to use this adapter in my A2091 or GVP Impact 2000 HC+8... do you think is possible? I think yes... you can use where we can place an HD, or not?
It works on my GVP G-Force so it should in theory work on your GVP Impact at least. You could try asking the developers or even AmiKit if you are going to order one from them.
It works great as a HD replacement. If you don't want to fiddle with filesystems to break past OS 3.x's partition size limitations, the SCSI2SD can emulate several SCSI devices and on the Amiga side it will look like you have several HDs connected to the same controller.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
if (CPU >= 68010)
{
accelerated = true;
}

I get close to 6MiB/s on a 68040 with a good SCSI <-> IDE adapter (Acard) and a CF. On a 68030 with the same CF I get about 4 to 4.5MiB/s. With this SD adapter I get around 1 to 1.2MiB/s, which is half the speed of the spinning harddrive on the same machine and a quarter of a CF with Acard. There is a newer version (six if memory serves) of this adapter, which is supposed to be supporting fast SCSI transfer modes and bring the performance to the level of Acard but it's not available as of today ("out of stock") and it's been so for months already. So - if you have an unaccelerated Amiga you probably (never tested it myself) get something below 1MiB/s, which doesn't hurt that much on a 68k but is a real pain if your HDD is faster on even a 68030.

The 6.0 board is no better in my experiences with it and is buggy as hell. I had nowhere near the level of problems with the 5.0 board as I have had with the 6. The fastest both will transfer is 1.2 m/sec on my 2000 with blizzard 2060 and my 040 Amiga 3000.

The 6.0 board is no better in my experiences with it and is buggy as hell. I had nowhere near the level of problems with the 5.0 board as I have had with the 6.
Five runs stable but is dog slow. As for six I couldn't put my hands on it so far as it is constantly out of stock. Maybe - exactly - due to a need to fix it first, which surely takes more time.
The fastest both will transfer is 1.2 m/sec on my 2000 with blizzard 2060 and my 040 Amiga 3000.
This is exactly what I am getting here with V5. As for V6 - I don't remember the settings on the 2060 but maybe you need to re-jumper the controller to get e. g. synchronous transfers?

My Amiga 2000 is expanded with GForce Combo 68030 40MHz, but i use SCSI from Impact HC+8 and not from GForce chain. I never feel the "HD speed" as a problem, maybe i don't use Amiga with software that needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom