help with commodore 128 D

cugar124

Country
England
Region
Norfolk
Hi Guys
I have just received my first Commodore 128D Now I need some help I really want to run the disk emulator but seems to be a little unclear as to what is the best one for the 128d also has anyone noticed any front covers coming up mine was dropped by mister postie so now its super glued not good.

Other things I wonder about is what is the best way to display this unit I have ordered the 5 pin din to scart

Thanks Guys

Al:blased::):D

You should get a C128 monitor cable. They have an 8 PIN DIN for 40 col, and the D-type (with a switch) connector for 80 col and a SCART connector at the other end.

homemade_c128_video_cable.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Al,

Congrats on the 128D (y)

I think you really want a sd2IEC so you can use the disk emulator in both C64 and C128 mode. I do have some cart emulators (Retro Replay & IDE64 etc), but they only work in C64 mode I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

If using a floppy emulator, you'll need to either completely disconnect the internal drive, or change its ID.
Do note that some fast-loaders (especially ones used in demos) cant handle two drives connected at the same time.

As for floppy emulator, IMO go for an 1541Ultimate, dont bother with anything else.

SDuIEC + JiffyDOS + RAM expander and you are pretty well set.

the 9 pin RGBi connector also does a 3 grey composite output which allows for 80 column display on regular 'RCA' input devices (TV, VCR, many CRT monitors, some LCD tvs) on pin 7 (though it isn't very 'crisp' - but it works, if one can't find an RGBi capable monitor)

if you are only going to use D64/D71/D81 it is all you'll ever need...

I think you really want a sd2IEC so you can use the disk emulator in both C64 and C128 mode. I do have some cart emulators (Retro Replay & IDE64 etc), but they only work in C64 mode I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
No matter what anyone says, the SD2IEC and all it's variants (such as the uIEC from Jim Brain) is absolutely NOT a 1541 disk drive emulator. It will NOT allow you to use protected .d64 file or .G64 GCR level disk images.

Only the 1541 Ultimate I/II/II+ family of products and, maybe, the 1541UK can do that. The 1541 Ultimate cartridges also offer cart emulation almost as good as Easy Flash 3. They also offer REU emulation.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, nothing beats the sound of your head being hammered by copy protection and an 8 minute wait for loading.

OK so now im confused LOL copy protection sounds crap and 90% compatibility sounds passable can anyone point me to the right place to buy a drive that will work with my 128 D

OK so now im confused LOL copy protection sounds crap and 90% compatibility sounds passable can anyone point me to the right place to buy a drive that will work with my 128 D

it's 2017, 99% of 25+ year old Commodore 64/128 software have 'cracked' versions anyways (or never came with any in the first place), look for the TOSECs on Archive.org, there's enough software there to last a lifetime.

I have an SDuIEC myself...copy protection has never been an issue. (and in addition, the same device will work on a C64, C128 and a VIC20 (and C16?)

I would also add that several years ago the "8-bit" versions of GEOS were made 'free for non-commercial use', and will be something you might like to check out (it's a Mac-like GUI), and also Gateway, which was an 'update' to it.

http://cbmfiles.com/geos/geos-13.php

as for where to buy a SD2IEC, there are many places that sell them, including on ebay...this cased one from Poland is 43.75E (BIN) (and appears to draw its power from a pass-through on one of the joystick ports rather than from the tape drive port)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SD2IEC-SD-Ca...379384?hash=item41c0d9e3f8:g:izMAAOSwA3dYiLz7

- - - Updated - - -

here is the info on the 1541U-II+ if one wants to spend the money (pre-ordering @ 150E)

it does have quite a few useful features, including RAM expansion (to 16M).

http://1541ultimate.net/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=20

Last edited:
Personally I agree :D

The point I was trying to make earlier was that if you have a 128D and wanted to run your drive emulator / substitution, whatever you wanted to call it, in 128 mode, I didn't think the cartridge solutions worked in 128 mode. I have a retro replay and would love it to work in 128 mode but it doesn't. Luckily my drive in my 128D works fine, and I have other drives I can use.

The SD2IEC solution is the cheapest and works to load disks in multiple CBM machines. OK, it doesn't work with 100% of the 10,000's or pieces of available software, does that really matter. I can always write it back to a real floppy.

it's 2017, 99% of 25+ year old Commodore 64/128 software have 'cracked' versions anyways (or never came with any in the first place), look for the TOSECs on Archive.org, there's enough software there to last a lifetime.

I have an SDuIEC myself...copy protection has never been an issue. (and in addition, the same device will work on a C64, C128 and a VIC20 (and C16?)

I would also add that several years ago the "8-bit" versions of GEOS were made 'free for non-commercial use', and will be something you might like to check out (it's a Mac-like GUI), and also Gateway, which was an 'update' to it.

http://cbmfiles.com/geos/geos-13.php

as for where to buy a SD2IEC, there are many places that sell them, including on ebay...this cased one from Poland is 43.75E (BIN) (and appears to draw its power from a pass-through on one of the joystick ports rather than from the tape drive port)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SD2IEC-SD-Ca...379384?hash=item41c0d9e3f8:g:izMAAOSwA3dYiLz7

- - - Updated - - -

here is the info on the 1541U-II+ if one wants to spend the money (pre-ordering @ 150E)

it does have quite a few useful features, including RAM expansion (to 16M).

http://1541ultimate.net/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=20

OK Guys an update got the Freezer Cartridge 3 in works like a charm and now the SD2IEC finally fitted all working with FB64 and FB128 my SD2IEC caused me a melt down with the Seller and I let myself down by getting upset but after weeks of waiting and Emails it arrived only to be missing the vital reset button, But on the side of glass half Full the reader works without fault.

so Now I need to source the box for this one and a better way to plug and unplug it.

Pics are to follow

I have seen some upgrades for the video ram and also the jiff dos the guys talked about wonder if the Jiffy dos is needed once the final cartridge is fitted?

Thanks again guys this 128 is awesome fun to play with and a great item to look at too.

awesome both that's great! mine got damaged in the post to me but managed to repair the front panel the Freezer cartridge is amazing how quick it is and with the sd reader it is fast to load too

Attachments

• 20170722_211509[1].jpg
    20170722_211509[1].jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170722_211456[1].jpg
    20170722_211456[1].jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170722_211443[1].jpg
    20170722_211443[1].jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170722_205757[1].jpg
    20170722_205757[1].jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
as I said, you can get the 80-column mode (3 greys) on any composite-in monitor/tv if you acquire/make a cable that draws from pin 7 (composite video) of the 9-pin RGBi video port of the C128

it is not the 'true' (or best) 80-column mode the C128 is capable of, but it is better than nothing, especially if one cannot track down a proper monitor, or simply wants to use this mode on say...a newer/larger LCD TV. (it will be a little on the blurry side of course)

all you need is any 9pin male DSUB connector (an old 9-pin male-end PC serial cable/extender will do) and a length of RCA cabling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom