PSP UMD drive not spinning

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I have a PSP 1004 that I found from fleamarket. It works otherwise but it won't read UMD discs. The laser head moves and laser lits but the disc motor won't spin.

Any advice how to to fix it?

in other words there's no fix ;-)
just upgrade the firmware to one of the versions that will load games off a Memory Stick and you don't need the UMD Drive.
the alternative is a scrap PSP.

Well, there are replacement drive modules available for pocket money, so I'd hardly call this a scrap. I'm just wondering is there any way to make sure if the drive motor is bust? I found the microswitch that operates the laser but is the motor behind the same switch? Also wondering if it can just be a bad connection somewhere?

Maybe I just have to dismantle it to see.

i think the switch you mean is the door switch that tells the system the drive door is shut and ready to read discs ,if the laser goes up and down fires but dont spin the motor is shot

there is a sequence that happens just like any laser assembly for drives,just dont remember the sequence it goes through at the moment

EDIT: since you say the laser fires ,id say the motor is shot as it dont spin the disc up to speed..but,the laser firing just means its firing,the head adjusts up or down as a focus is one of the checks i think before the motor is turned on by the controller,could be wrong as i dont remember the exact sequence

Last edited:
they are *very* complicated things inside. I re-built one once from 2 bad ones. It took forever to get it apart and double that to get it back together.
so if you pull it apart all I can say is good luck with that. Better option instead of pulling it apart and ending up with more faults than it started with or a non-working PSP is just re-flash the firmware and use a memory stick and then you can put up to 64GB of games on there instead of having to carry dozens of UMD's. the load time is also a lot faster.

Last edited:
I ordered a replacement UMD drive module from the other bay.

I finally got around swapping the UMD module. With the new UMD module the motor spins and laser lits and tries to focus, but it still doesn’t read discs. One thing I noticed was that the stepper motor isn’t moving the head.

One thing worth mentioning that the new unit didn’t even lit the laser even though the motor was spinning. I noticed that there was a solder blob on the laser ribbon, which the original didn’t have. I desoldered that and the laser began to to work.

And... swapping the UMD unit isn’t actually that bad of a chore. It takes about 10 minutes to get it out and another 10 to put back together.

Finally got this working! I ordered another UMD drive mechanism from another vendor. This time, it works like a charm!

I noticed also that the wifi switch had stopped working, so I ordered one of those too.

I have exactly the same problem with my PSP as well (regarding UMD), so it's good to know that there's no fix other than replacing all the mechanism. Not that I need it though, because I don't have a single UMD (only the demo one which came together with PSP). But if the PSP is hacked, there is no need for the drive I guess (unless you want to watch some movies?).

Last edited:
Well, if you ever feel the need to change it, it’s really not that bad of a task, and the modules are pretty cheap. I just had bad luck with the first replacement module as it just wouldn’t move the head. I got it replaced under warranty but the stepper motor wouldn’t move in the replacement’s replacement either. It wasn’t until I got another unit from another vendor before everything worked.

I wonder if I could build one working module out of the original and the first replacement...?

Last edited:
Actually I'm not planning to change it (no time to fiddle with it), as I found a PSVita (first model) which can be hacked with Henkaku.

Back
Top Bottom