commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Rating - 100%
22   0   1
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
I picked up a breadbin 64 at VCF West as I've been wanting something with a 6581 in it again. Overall it looks good - no leakage, nice clean machine, buuut...it doesn't power on. Not even the LED lights up. So my assumption is that the included PSU has seen better days. Rather than take a chance on the Other Bay (where it's all "UNTESTED AS-IS" until you get up into the $60 range,) I thought I'd ask here - anybody got a working C64 PSU to spare? It's the older DIN connector with the wacky layout. Alternatively, if someone has or wants to hack up an adapter to connect an ATX PSU (I believe people have done these, right?) I'd be happy to go that route.

I'd be looking to drop $20-30 + S/H. Anybody got one?

Since the 64 requires a 9VAC supply, hooking up an ATX supply is unfortunately not possible without a switch mode converter circuit between and I've not really seen people do this since generating an AC voltage from a DC supply is not straightforward. When people build their own C64 supplies, the typical method is to combine two wall plug-in adapters, one for 9 VAC and the other for 5 VDC. I don't know if you'd be willing/capable of going that route if you can't find another supply?

The original C64 PSUs are notoriously unreliable as when they die, they some times put out a high voltage (11-12V) on the 5V rail, causing all sorts of mayhem inside the C64 as it kills many ICs when it happens. Cross fingers this is not the case for you.

I've got an original power brick that is fully tested and working if you're interested. However, if you plan on using it full time then you should look into a power saver. I make the SaV64 but there are other less expensive options out there from Ray Carlsen and others. Getting a modern day power supply like the ones Ray sells are also an option.

I'll send you a PM.

Heather

the led coming on is no indication that anything is working unfortunately not even the led,i have seen these with faulty led's as well

if you have a meter check the switch and power rails,its not very difficult
and the fuse thats in the breadboxes has nothing to do with the 5 volts side its for the sid and vic mainly

best if you do basic tests on mechanical parts first,machine dont need to be on for that.it is possible to have a perfectly working supply and dodgy power switch on the machine which will make it look dead

Well, the good news is I've got a nice new PSU from Ray Carlsen and the power LED lights right up. The bad news is I'm getting nothing but a black screen out of it - I think the VIC might at least be producing a sync signal, since the TV responds when the power goes on or off, and devices on the serial bus reset on power-up, but there's no actual picture and the disk drive doesn't respond to a LOAD "$", n command so I have to assume BASIC isn't coming up.

If a mod wants to either close this want thread or move it to the appropriate forum to turn it into a please-help thread, I'm good with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom