Country
    UK
    Region:
    York
    Feedback
    17 (100%)

Question Advice on sending a laptop to Germany

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience on sending a laptop to Germany from the UK?

The laptop in question is an old Acorn A4. I took it to the Post Office today and the kind lady said neither Royal Mail nor Parcel Force would touch it due to its battery. When I enquired why she said it was an issue with the German postal service, not Royal Mail, but Royal Mail would no longer ship anything with a battery to Germany any more. Despite this sounding a little suspect I didn't challenge her on it because the queue behind me was massive and the dog was eyeing up the parcel tape and birthday cards.

So I thought I'd try Hermes. The prohibited items faq didn't really help though - no mention of laptops or laptop batteries but it did exclude "batteries". The Live Chat help person/bot told me to ask International Shipping; the international bot told me to email or phone, the phone person (after a ten minute wait) told me to email.

I've now emailed Hermes. No reply so far. Hermes strikes me as the sort of company who are cheap and great if there are no complications but God help you if you need their customer services.

Does anyone know of a carrier that will ship this laptop to Germany! It becoming a bit of a mission. The A4 has survived 20+ years without exploding, I doubt it'll burst into flames on a short trip to Germany. It's not a Galaxy 7 whatsit phone after all.

Thanks!

andy
    A1200 + B1260 80Mhz + Indi AGA2 + Ide-fix Express | Atari Falcon + CT60e 100Mhz | SNES
    A4000/040 + Cyberstorm Mk2 66Mhz + Sonnet PPC 400Mhz + Voodoo3 + Indi AGA | Saturn | PS1
    A3020 | A3000 | BBC B | BBC Master | Atom | CPC6128 | A500 | Atari Jaguar | C64 | 3DO

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Hessen
    Feedback
    205 (100%)
    Blog Entries

I think the issue is lithium batteries. I am sure a 20 year old clunker uses NiCad ?

Royal mail use GLS as their German agent and they are not rated to Deutsche Post. Sounds like that they are telling you stories.

See here
    https://m.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2016-9...s-3166865.html

Anyway use Hermes or DPD and don't tell them what the contents is. They use road freight anyway.
    Last edited by mrr19121970; 7th August 2017 at 19:15.
    See www.amibay.com/entry.php?176-My-Offerings
    Speed up the transaction ?? PayPal.me/mrr19121970 as family'n'friends and PM me with what you want and where to send it.

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    Helsinki
    Feedback
    141 (100%)

There are genuine international restrictions regarding batteries and shipping via airplanes. But I was under the impression that nowadays a battery, when installed in the device, is acceptable. Separate batteries most likely are not. There may also be requirements to how the item is to be packed and the packet marked. Still, you are at the mercy of the courier companies in this situation.

Country
    England
    Region:
    South Shields
    Feedback
    201 (100%)

I just bought a Sega Saturn from Luke Morse in Japan, and he informed me he had to remove the CR2032 battery out of it as the Japanese post office will not ship them. Seems a bit OTT for something so small and of no threat.
    A1260T@66/64MB | Large console stash
    Step by step video guide to setup WinUAE