Df1: Citizen rf332c external disk drive amiga 500

Apidya500

Country
England
Region
Derbyshire
Good Evening All,
I have a Citizen RF332C external disk drive which come with another machine i have, my CUMANA CAX 354 external disk drive works on every machine and I have no problems whatsoever, however, when I hook up the Citizen disk drive, the red light comes on, we have power, and everything acts fine, but then it asks me to put disk into DF0: as it has problems reading the floppy, I've had it open, and I've cleaned the heads, it looks mint inside, I know its not my machines, and far as I'm aware this came with a A500, and is compatible with an A500, just find it really strange, how it powers and the red light comes on but still won't read it properly, as soon as I hook my Cumana to the same machine it works and I don't have to swap disks about in the DF0 drive. Give up?

not sure what you mean,.

are you saying the Citizen drive doesnt read disks or is it preventing DF0: from working ??

if its just the Citizen drive not reading disks from the drive identifier RF332C it's a Roctec unit with a possible drive belt that has perished /snapped or slips ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqTQVWmO1Yg

Is it really a Citizen external drive? I don't think Citizen marketed any external drives as complete assemblies, just supplied drives (the Cumana CAX 354 also uses a Citizen drive internally, although not a belt-driven one).
See this page.
Maybe it's a Roctec RF-332 with a Citizen UODC-12A mechanism and the belt is long gone.
Suggested belt replacement type is a
71.0mm diameter and 2.8 x 0.6mm cross section.

Hope you sort it out.

Cheers BLTCON0, now I've just got to locate where the belt goes? Sounds right

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Sardine, sounds right, didn't realise they got a belt, now I've just got to locate it in when I open it up, its got citizen written inside, made in Japan? Probably a roctec one?

would I be right in thinking I could take a belt from one of my faulty 500 machine df0 drives, just till I get a replacement, are they the same size? I have a faulty 500 plus machine, could I take a belt from the 500 plus df0 drive, and then obviously replace that when I can find one on internet to buy? I presume they're the same?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I take the belt, off the faulty 500 plus df0 machine I have, I don't use it, just till I find a replacement?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Sardine, I didn't explain that very well..Its a Roctec unit, cheers mate, I realise the problem now, very helpful, cheers

- - - Updated - - -

cheers mate, very helpful..thankyou

would I be right in thinking I could take a belt from one of my faulty 500 machine df0 drives, just till I get a replacement, are they the same size? I have a faulty 500 plus machine, could I take a belt from the 500 plus df0 drive, and then obviously replace that when I can find one on internet to buy? I presume they're the same?

Not all drives are built the same, the ones in A500s typically don't even use belts.
But even if they did, it's almost certain the belts wouldn't be interchangeable.
You must use the suggested belt type for this drive. See Sardine's link for a possible source.

Back
Top Bottom