Unindentified memory expansion with IDE controller for the amiga 1200

Schuimpy

Country
The Netherlands
Region
Mijdrecht
Hi All,

I got my hands on this memory expansion with ide-controller.

Can somebody tell me more about it and how its works ?

Hardware ID 18260 255 , so it's from macrosystems but cant find any info on the net.

Thx Schuimpy

20170820_145055.jpg 20170820_145119.jpg

I have no idea but it feels strange to have non-CPU IDE expansion for Amiga 1200 that already has built-in IDE..

Autoboot ROM dump would be really interesting (can be done using software), but first, could you include WB 3.1 "tools/showconfig debug" output?

Autoconfig is only for RAM board. So those bigger socketed chips probably are CPLD's, not ROMs and IDE isn't bootable. There is also socket for clock chip (clock chip not included but mostly useless 2 IDE ports are included?)

What does it say next to the rightmost IDE port? 1321something?

I guess it was never officially released because it had become mostly obsolete when design was finished?

Next to the rightmost ide port is written 1321994200. Next to leftmost there is a jumper called JU1.
I think you are right it has never been finished cause there is a missing clock chip and never a battery holder was soldered on the board.

Might this expansion board be an accessory to an amiga 1200 tower conversion kit?

Any idea how to use the ide ports ? Ide fix 97 ?

I don't think idefix would work. Did Idefix exists in late 1993? Also, idefix adds ide doubler support to existing port but this board adds two new ports. Unless it overrides internal port? Which is possibility because it does not use autoconfig so IDE ports probably are located somewhere near Gayle IDE registers.

Only way to know is to connect some drive or CF card and check address space for IDE registers.. Or connect scope/logic probe to IDE ports' select pins and check which addresses trigger it..

Check what happens if internal IDE is disconnected and drive/CF is connected to either board port? Perhaps it boots :)

It says JHS on the bottom side of the PCB. JHS was a company that made Amiga hardware such as the ZorroBox. Maybe it's from them?

Bryce.

It doesnt disable the internal ide cause it boots fine from the internal ide when the board is installed. Next is to connect a cf or hdd to the board and play with jumper settings and remove any cf hdd from the internal ide port. Ill have i try asap.

I don't think idefix would work. Did Idefix exists in late 1993? Also, idefix adds ide doubler support to existing port but this board adds two new ports. Unless it overrides internal port? Which is possibility because it does not use autoconfig so IDE ports probably are located somewhere near Gayle IDE registers.

Only way to know is to connect some drive or CF card and check address space for IDE registers.. Or connect scope/logic probe to IDE ports' select pins and check which addresses trigger it..

Check what happens if internal IDE is disconnected and drive/CF is connected to either board port? Perhaps it boots :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, thats true. But the strange thing is that the hardware id of the expansion board refers to macrosystems.

It says JHS on the bottom side of the PCB. JHS was a company that made Amiga hardware such as the ZorroBox. Maybe it's from them?

Bryce.

Hello,

to use the IDE port of this card you need a device driver otherwise it is impossible to use IDE device attached to this card. The memory is added automatically to the system through some code inside the logic of the card...more or less

Stefano

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, this card is a good idea, because the internal IDE of the A1200 has 68000 timing (trough GAYLE), but ,if i am not wrong, IDE on this card can have the timing of the CPU, if this design is directly connected to the cpu (i am not sure about that).

Stefano

Hello,

try to contact the author (the manufacturer) because can be that the two IDE ports are working (to implement an IDE port on hardware is quite simple, more complex is the device driver for the port) but a device driver is needed otherwise AmigaDOS can do nothing; even if you attach a device you can't see nothing.
This card is very cool!

Stefano

I recently hooked it up again and connected a harddisk. Sadly i cant acces the harddisk. Anyone any idea which device driver I need ?

Hello,

so, more or less, you need a skeleton of a device driver for autoconfig card, but you need to discover by yourself all the IDE registers (they are not much, just almost the possible combinations of five digits, in fact are four digits 2^4, three address lines and the chip-select signal).
For this task you need an oscilloscope, discover what are the three address lines and, with a disassembler, and a IDE device attached to the port (as master) try to send an IDE command like $90 (the LED of the IDE device will blink) with a base address as the card appear to (a tool like SysInfo show the base address of this card, but not the memory part, just the other one, so this card appear as two cards, if i am right); at this base address you need to add the address result from the combination of the three address line that go to the IDE port and discover the address of the Command Register.
This is the technic that i have in mind about your card.

You can read an ATA spec. doc. (named X3T9 and succ.) and the Gayle spec. about Amiga specific solution for IDE port then, specific for the registers, if you find into the net the spec. of the commercial IDE card BUDDHA, just to have more clear the scenery.

I have here, coded by my in assembler, a device driver for autoconfig card, made for an unreleased ZorroII IDE card (my own card for my A3000), so, with the address of all the ATA registers on hand, and a little bit of work, i see possible to build a driver for your card.

Tell me

Regards
Stefano

Back
Top Bottom