OSSC (Open Source Scan Doubler) Discussion

BubbaMc

Country
Australia
Region
Perth, WA
I've recently got one of these and was absolutely blown away! Didn't see a dedicated thread here apart from a member which recently offered some available for sale, so I thought I'd make this one. If you're looking to connect your Amiga (or any system designed for 15khz CRT) on pretty much any modern display, I think this solution is the best we could ever hope for.

OSSC Wiki: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC

There are some photos in this thread showing what it can do for your Amiga, along with verified settings: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84788

If current owners could chime in with their experiences with the device, that'd be great :)

Additionally, if there are any questions regarding the use of the device, post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:
interesting very expensive no reason to swap over if you have an Indi but tell me if I am wrong?

Kind regards

Al

It is better than the Indivisions for several reasons in my opinion. Indy ECS and AGA MkI are similar and by many considered the best of the Indivisions, however they can only provide VGA output. They are also not without issues. The AGA can be tricky to install and can tend to pop out and the ECS does not remember all its settings properly every time it boots (I am not sure if the AGA have the same issue). The AGA MkII has the DVI output but the scanline emulation is quite bad on my opinion and it is hard to make it do proper 50 Hz throughput to a monitor/TV. I cannot make the MkII provide a picture at all on my TV using a DVI-HDMI adapter.

The OSSC provides very low latency conversion (one scanline), very nice looking scanline emulation for those who like to use that, and proper 50 Hz output for stutter-free motion. Also, since it is external, you only need to buy one to be able to use it with all your Amigas and other retro-devices, so in the end it could very well be cheaper if you like to use several different computers like I do. :) Contrary to the Indivision, the OSSC works well with the HDMI input on my TV, so I certainly do not regret buying one.

I have an OSSC which I use with my consoles. I currently have a Megadrive, SNES, Jaguar, PS1, PS2 and Saturn hooked up to one through a scart switcher, and all look absolutely fantastic.

Totally rexommended.

Last edited:
interesting very expensive no reason to swap over if you have an Indi but tell me if I am wrong?

Kind regards

Al

Some advantages of the OSSC:

• Framebufferless design so there's almost zero latency, fractions of a millisecond (Indivision uses a scanbuffer so the minimum latency it could achieve is 16ms)
  • 50Hz refresh rate is fully supported, so there is no stuttering with a moving picture - most Amiga games are 50Hz, not 60
  • Audio is converted to PCM and carried over the HDMI cable
  • Many different line multiplication modes are available, so there's more chance of getting a pixel perfect/integer scaled display on your particular monitor or TV. For example, with 5x output fed into a 1080P TV, it's possible to get an integer scaled picture which is perfectly sharp. Some lines on the top and bottom will be cropped, but Amiga games don't use the full display anyway.
  • Regular firmware updates adding new modes and features.

Basically what demolition said. Plus there are a whole lot of other settings and tweaks available which I doubt are possible with the Indivision. Refer to the Wiki for details on these.

Last edited:
It is worth mentioning that not all tv's can handle the 3x 4x and 5x modes, so some research might be necessary before purchasing to avoid disappointment. That said, my 1080p tv (a Panasonic GT50) will only handle 2x and I still think the quality is amazing and still heartily recommend the OSSC.

True, I also have a Panasonic GT50 but even with 2x mode it is worth noting that the picture is still more or less full screen since the TV will scale it up to 1080p, so it is not like you have to play on a tiny 24" rectangle on your large TV. :)

Last edited:
I have had the Indivison, the Framemeister Mini, and the OSSC blows them both out of the water - event at x2 and much more compatible. The Framemeister has an advantage in scaling sharpness at x2, but the OSSC more than makes up it with 0 lag (yes, it is effectively 0).

I heartily recommend investing in a DVDO Edge to sit after the OSSC. It handles bloody anything (well except x5) :)
I do believe Samsung 4K tv's do accept x5, btw.

Last edited:
It is a shame about 5x being so cropped on my 60 Vizio TV because it is pixel-perfect. 2x is the only way to get the whole image out of my A1200 on the screen but it is a bit blurry. x3 and x4 are not compatible at all.

Back
Top Bottom