A4000: Where next?

Vulpine

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Cambridgeshire
I have a lovely A4000 desktop which I've just upgraded to 3.1 ROMs. It's a 68030 with a reasonable amount of chip RAM but is otherwise stock, other than putting in an IDE CD-RW drive.

I'd like to make the old girl more useful and certainly quicker -- playing Doom at any sort of reasonable framerate would be the ideal. The big question is, where should I go first? A faster CPU is an obvious desirable port of call, but should I look to just get a castoff 68040 or something a bit nippier?

Recommendations and pricing suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

You can easily lay your hands on 16meg of Fast RAM and an A3640 accelerator card. But better would be an accelerator with onboard RAM to up the access rate. Whatever, you’ll be spending money. Join the club!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, and on Amibay, there’s no price discussions allowed. And it does help the feel of the place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But better would be an accelerator with onboard RAM to up the access rate.

Thanks for the suggestion! Would it be worth looking at PPC, or just a fast 040 accelerator?

PPC is overkill (and overpriced!) unless you want to run OS4.1 or play Wipeout 2097 :)

Better a fast (40MHz) 040 - it'll play Doom fine... If you have the money an 060 is of course going to be best.
An accelerator board with on-board SCSI will also allow faster disk access with low CPU hit.

I'd have a look back at past sales threads for 040 and 060 to see where you stand affordability-wise.

Back
Top Bottom