For Sale Z80 8-bit Universal IDE interface for ZX Spectrum

What are your thoughts on TS 2068 compatibility. Would I be able to get the 48K ROM and effectively get an IDE controller and emulator in one go?

If you go with the moded ROM for ZX Spectrum 48K, Pera Putnik's version, yes it will work. Another solution for TS2068 would be using the TS-2068 128K interface from Don "Supefo" and the +3e ROM on it. To be honest I have not tested with TS2068 yet, because I haven't got any and they are very rare in Europe.

If I sent you a 2068 (gratis), would you be able to spend some time on it? I'd be really interested in support via stock kernel -- I would do it myself if I only had the time. . .

In either case, I'm interested in a couple of kits. I'll send PM.

Hi,I'm interested to buy one complete interface,but first one question; does it work with 128k +2 gray version? (sorry I'm newbie in sinclair world,but not in retro stuff - commodore user/collector for years).Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Kresko,

No, it doesn't, because modified ROM for +2 (grey) or 128K (toast rack) is not available.

Just ROM. I was told such ROM existed but never seen in the wild.

sinclair motherboard copy.jpg

Now I have Sinclair Spectrum with everything socked, so installing IDE should be easy task.

I would like to get IDE, eprom and pico module if possible.

By the way, how do I transfer files to CF card? Was there a manual some where or quick start guide?

Well, you can try use it with 48K, but I cannot guarantee that it works perfectly well with Pera's EPROMs. It was designed and tested with +2A/B & +3 and +3e ROM.

OK; then this is not a good solution for a Spectrum Plus. :(

+2A +2B Crashes when pressing space bar

+2A +2B Crashes when pressing space bar

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to get this thing working. I'm getting a crash with blue lines when I press space bar. I've installed it on a +2A(shown) and +2B and get the same result. I've tried with soldered links between pins 1-2 for JA0,JA1,JA2 then between 2-3 with the same result. Tried sm8en3A,B and pe8en3eA,B roms. Photo of back board shown pre soldering for ref only. Help !!

Attachments

• IMG_20200930_121202 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200930_121202 (1).jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200930_121014 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200930_121014 (1).jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200930_120756.jpg
    IMG_20200930_120756.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200930_120812 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200930_120812 (1).jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
+2A +2B Crashes when pressing space bar Part solved

+2A +2B Crashes when pressing space bar Part solved

The solution to the space bar crash issue was to supply 5v power to pin 41(+5v Logic), 42(+5v Motor) and also wired Pin 43 to ground which wasn't connected.

The Spectrum now boots and recognises a disk being there however it crashes once I try to format the card ???

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to get this thing working. I'm getting a crash with blue lines when I press space bar. I've installed it on a +2A(shown) and +2B and get the same result. I've tried with soldered links between pins 1-2 for JA0,JA1,JA2 then between 2-3 with the same result. Tried sm8en3A,B and pe8en3eA,B roms. Photo of back board shown pre soldering for ref only. Help !!

Thought it might be the IDE cable length so I've shortened the cable to about 7cm but unfortunately still the same.

Get the feeling it might me, myself and I left in this thread.

At least I'll find my jokes funny.

Hi,

So sorry for delayed response but I am not often here. It seems that your ROM A does not sit in the socket well. Secondly for any +2A/B and +3 with the sm3en ROM soldered links should be as follows:

J0 - DA0 - A8

J1 - DA1 - A12

J2 - DA2 - A13

Hi Claudius,

Thanks for getting back.

I've only got 512k proms so I have to disconnect pin 1 which is A15. Thinking about it I could leave it connected and program the rom with two copies of the rom file.

I've tried with links as you suggested but still get the same screen when I try to format the CF card. I am trying with both a Jessops 64mb CF card and also a Sandisk 4gb CF card.

The uide board came with the spectrum but I just can't get it working

I've tried with the reset to CFRST line with 10k resistor direct connections and through the transistor with 100k and get the same result (blue vertical lines crash screen) when trying to format

Is it necessary to do a CF card mod with CF pin 44 tied to 5v high ?

I'm sure it is close to working as it boots and detects 1 IDE drive and "cat tab" reports CHS settings

Last edited:
Hurray!!!

Sorted. It was me.

The proms I was using 27SF512 instead of SST27SF256 .

I was leaving pin 1 (A15) bent out to simulate SST27SF256 which was the problem.

I reprogrammed the SST27SF512 proms from address $8000 - $FFFF (Top half) and bent the leg back in and the format command now works!!!

Thanks for getting back Claudius your response triggered me down a path to the solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add the Sandisk 512mb CF formats ok but the Jessops 64Mb CF gives error disk unknown

Well done :) BTW do not leave any EROM address line floating. If any of them is not used (like A15 in your case) it should be shorted to GND or Vcc.

Is there any ideas on getting the Jessops 64Mb CF card working? I've tried R1-10k with J4 2-3 and 100k J4 1-2.

It works with any good and decent CF card. Personally I've tested with SanDisks, Pretec and Kingston CF's. Kingstons can be peaky. Once or twice I used no-names but it was a lottery and I ditched them. You could try to extend the length of the reset pulse by adding a capacitor between /RST and GND on the IDE connector. It might help.

Thanks for the capacitor tip.

Had limited success with sandisk cards but loading z80 games just displays a corrupt screen and then crashes.

What is preferred Rom to use on +2A sm8, pe8, pcf ?

Last edited:
Finally got this working end to end. Had no end of troubles with pcf roms as couldn't get fuse emulator to read hdf file. sm8 roms resulted in corrupted z80 files on hdf. Finally had success with pe8 roms which resulted in reliable z80 transfer which btw is a real pain. Have to make a dummy hdf file then transfer all z80 files onto it with strowsaw. Then use fuse emulator with Simple 8bit to access dummy hdf file and transfer z80 files onto multiple disks (.dsk). Then have to read my cf card to a hdf file using driveimage. Change Simple 8bit drive in fuse to cf card hdf file. transfer z80 files on disk images to cf hdf. Fuse Simple 8bit commit. Fuse Simple 8bit eject. Open driveimage and write cf hdf file to cf card.

I've been working on this for about 2 weeks and I've transferred 2 games !!!!

Anyone know any easier way ?????

Interest Queue

Back
Top Bottom