For Sale Z80 8-bit Universal IDE interface for ZX Spectrum

Hi Claudius,
I received the package today, but haven't had time to install it yet. Thanks for posting it so quickly and packing it so well! I should point out it arrived in Australia very quickly, but then Australia Post took over and it always takes its time delivering overseas packages! I look forward to installing it soon.
I will leave feedback very soon.

Declared interest for one. Color doesn't matter.

Is there a guide for using this some where?
Does it fit inside of my Spectrums? 48 & 48+
CF ide adapter gets it power from IDE?
Could you point out CF adapter wich should work with this?

I have very little experience of Sinclair Spectrum.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you for the interest in this interface and please see my replies below:

Declared interest for one. Color doesn't matter.

I've still got a few left.

Is there a guide for using this some where?

See this thread: https://www.amibay.com/showthread.p...e-IDE-amp-games-how-to&highlight=spectrum ide

Does it fit inside of my Spectrums? 48 & 48+

Wel, there is a very limited space inside rubber Speccy and the large heatsink should be removed. Some mods inside Speccy are needed. I would not recommend it for any rubber Speccy.

CF ide adapter gets it power from IDE?

There is such possibility, but the adapter needs to be slightly modified. See photos below.

Could you point out CF adapter wich should work with this?
Please see photos below:
Z80_UIDE_CF2IDE_01.jpg

Z80_UIDE_CF2IDE_02.jpg

PM me payment details. I take one fully assembled with eprom. I have both rubber 48 and 48+ models.

I need that eprom to get IDE work?

Yes you do. Two diodes and 10k resistors make OR gate that is needed there.

The aank switching is "added value" because Speccy ROM is 16K only and in any 32K EPROM chip like 27c256 you can have two images. In lower half (0-16K) you can have one type of ROM and in the upper half (16-32K) the other one. Before you power up the Spectrum you will be able to choose which ROM you like to use.

You can ignore the switch and shorten EPROM pin 27 to +5V or GND and burn the EPROM 27c256 with the same ROM content twice.

Last edited:
Can you supply those resistors and diode for me and picture Wich shows how to it? I thing that one image is ok, no switch needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you supply those resistors and diode for me? And pictures how to do this? So that person who have no any clue what his doing would succeed? I have pretty good equipments and some soldering experience.

Can you supply those resistors and diode for me and picture Wich shows how to it? I thing that one image is ok, no switch needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you supply those resistors and diode for me? And pictures how to do this? So that person who have no any clue what his doing would succeed? I have pretty good equipments and some soldering experience.

I will send you all details on PM in the evening.

Anyway. What is a revision the PCB fitted in your ZX Spectrum?

You can do in this way:

1. With 3D puzzles:

ZXROM_SW_03.jpg

Or using a such pico module:

ZXROM_SW_10.jpg

Module fitted in place of ROM links:

ZXROM_SW_21.jpg

Last edited:
Two wires: +5V & GND.

To be honest I designed this module for myself a few years ago. I should have one or two spare PCBs somewhere in a draw.

Anyway, I will do a step-by-step guideline how to fit the Z80 UIDE interface on the 48K PCB. I hope you can wait a few weeks and see the extend of modifications on photographs before you make the final decision about buying this interface.

Last edited:
No worry, I can wait. Just reserve one Z80 UIDE board and pico module for me. I'll take them any way. Or you can PM me prices, I'll pay and post is about 10 days to Finland.

Would be funny to have IDE in Spectrum.

Is it matter wich CF card I buy? I'll order them from China, will take 2 - 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Old type SanDisks are the best one, 256MB would be sufficient. Personally I use old and slow Pretec CF cards.

A few shots how to fit the Z80 UIDE on the ZX Spectrum 48K/+ board.

1. PCB issue 3B in flesh
Z80_UIDE_48K_01.jpg

2. The heatsink and voltage regulator that to be removed
Z80_UIDE_48K_02.jpg

3. ROM and CPU - to be removed
Z80_UIDE_48K_03.jpg

4. ROM chip removed
Z80_UIDE_48K_04.jpg

5. Shorting link between +5V and pin 1 of IC5
Z80_UIDE_48K_05.jpg

6. IC socket for new EPROM chip and DC converter fitted
Z80_UIDE_48K_06.jpg

7. EPROM with diagnostic ROM fitted
Z80_UIDE_48K_07.jpg

8. ROM type selector links to be removed
Z80_UIDE_48K_08.jpg

9. Links removed
Z80_UIDE_48K_09.jpg

10. ROM switcher fitted
Z80_UIDE_48K_10.jpg

11. +5V (red) and GND (black) connected to the Speccy PCB
Z80_UIDE_48K_11.jpg

Now power up the board and if everything is fine you should see the "K" prompt or TestingROM will start. If anything went wrong, power down the Speccy immediately and check everything once again.

12. Remove CPU and fit the IC socket there
Z80_UIDE_48K_12.jpg

13. Install the interface in the CPU socked, the CPU on the interface, ROM back to its socket and test the board again.
Z80_UIDE_48K_13.jpg

14. Replace ROM chip with one with Pera Putnik modified ROM and you should see the following message on the screen
Z80_UIDE_48K_14.jpg

Bear in mind that there is very limited space inside the rubber Speccy case and you will not be able to fit the interface there so easily. There is a way by soldering the interface to the Speccy PCB and solder the CPU to the interface BUT I would not recommend to go down to this road.

All mods you are doing on your own risk.

Thanks and sorry. This is too difficult to me. I didn't realize that cpu and rom are not socketed. I wouldn't know how to remove them without sidecutters. :(

Last edited:
To be honest it is a lottery about CPU and ROM being socketed. In some boards ROM was in the socket, in others also CPU could be in a socked, there ara also board with both chips in sockets, but in some boars neither CPU nor ROM was socketed.

Would you consider doing a direct install on a non socketed 48k issue 2? I am located in the U.K. also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interest Queue

Back
Top Bottom