looking to replace amiga 500 keyboard with custom mechanical board

Sarreq

Country
USA
Region
Pennsylvania
I just bought (as-is, as a project) an A500, and found out the keyboard membrane was removed by the (or A) previous owner. I have a layout ready, and a PCB in design, but I can't seem to be able to find how the membrane matrix is laid out. if anyone can help me with that, I can trace my PCB accordingly and use the original controller board (or at least components). if not, can anyone help with info to program a µC to interface correctly with the A500?

I have PCBs in design for each of these, I'm leaning toward the ANSI layout though.
A500ANSI.png
Ansi

A500BAE.png
BigAssEnter

A500ISO.png
ISO

Last edited:
The keyboard matrix can be found in the hardware reference manual.

You'll also need the pinout of the keyboard controller (DIP version) (A500 column).

PC0-PC7 and PD0-PD7 (controller) obviously correspond to PC.0-PC.7 and PD.0-PD.7 (matrix)

PB0-PB7 and PA0-PA1 (controller) are directly explained.

So this leaves PA2-PA7 (controller) to correspond to Row0-Row5 (matrix), obviously in that order as Row0 is subtitled "bit2" (hinting PA2) etc up to Row5 / "bit7" (hinting PA7).

You can google "amiga keyboard membrane" for routing ideas, maybe you can find better quality photos.

Last edited:
I personally don't like the ANSI, the control key is in the "wrong" place, muscle memory ingrained since 1991 make my fingers go for Ctrl Amiga Amiga quite naturally. I personally prefer the ISO but then I own an A500+ so am used to the two blank keys.

Currently my right shift is not working and will eventually look into sorting that out, but for the right price I would consider a new keyboard but only if it had Amiga keys or perhaps Boing Ball keys.

Back
Top Bottom