Thread: Very very basic request

Country
    UK
    Region:
    London
    Feedback

Default Very very basic request

Hoping some kind soul might oblige the following ....

I have a seriously old A2000 Amiga here that I'm trying to breathe some life into here. (Well I don't own it, but I'll be babysitting it for a few weeks to take a trip down memory lane )

It has a <cough, spit> A2090 HD controller card and 2 MFM drives .... yes - well .... I have Workbench 2.04 disks (yes, someone fitted KS2 ROM) but no A2090 install disk. I also have a Workbench 2.1 disk - but its missing Crossdos (prob one of my own hacked around copies from 20+ years ago). This means I can't read a 720k MS-DOS disk to get the dms image I have of the A2090 install disk over to the Amiga Trying to pull feet up by bootlaces

So .... could someone please please download the dms image from http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a2090 (the bigger one) chuck it on to an Amiga floppy disk for me ?
    Would need to be snail-mailed I guess (to London, UK).

On the lookout for a couple of 1MB 30-pin SIMMs too ... must have chucked all mine out a few years ago. Willing to trade for 72-pin SIMMs if anyone needs em.

Many thanks.

P.S. I have quite a few bits of olde worlde bits of hardware here .... esp SCSI bits, old 72-pin memory, early DIMMs etc. - willing to trade no probs.
    Last edited by slaz; 13th November 2017 at 01:15. Reason: afterthought

I look like Gizmo Amibay Treasurer
    Mega AmiMod
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    170 (100%)

If you PM me your address I'll get the floppy in the post on Tuesday for you.

Country
    UK
    Region:
    London
    Feedback

Didn't need that now .... (PM'ed) ..... whilst hunting for something else, I unearthed a 9-pin <-> 9-pin null-modem cable ... then unearthed a 9-pin <-> 25-pin serial adapter, then checked the pin-out agains the docs with Amiga Explorer .... then I managed to get Amiga Explorer working enough to transfer some files to Amiga Gotta say that program is pretty cool - works quite well and is well documented.

Anyway - I eventually managed to write a couple of .dms images to disks ..... (no thanks to xDMS, the syntax of which is ... ugh).

This is all in aid of trying to wake up a A2090 HD controller :-/ .... despicable piece of kit I know, but before you say "bin it and get a 2091" - well that ain't gonna happen.

Thing is - all the disk images I've found seem to be missing a crucial file - hddisk.device. There's a file called hddisk (with hddisk.info) - but no hddisk.device (which you'd expect to find in devs - wouldn't you ?).

After some hours of scouring the web (links going in circles) .... I mean there's a few docs on how to use prep, mountlist etc. - but no mention of hddisk.device - apart from in the mountlist entries .... but no file.

Anyone know what gives ? Surely that file has gotta be somewhere ??

I look like Gizmo Amibay Treasurer
    Mega AmiMod
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    170 (100%)

@slaz

For once I got my bum in gear and actually posted the discs this afternoon