pal amiga 1200 in America

clashfan

Country
USA
Region
CA
I'm a noob to amiga. I made a big mistake and bought a pal amiga 1200. The power supply is for Europe. Can I just get use this amiga in America? Any help would be appreciated.

why mistake? Majority of software made after 93 or 94 is PAL only. Good solution might be getting Amiga to PC PSU adapter, so you dont need any step up down transformers. Alternatively you can use CISCO router power supply (which is dual voltage) with a proper plug. For monitor get a NEC Multisync monitor (like LCD VM series).

Last edited:
Alternatively you can use CISCO router power supply (which is dual voltage) with a proper plug.

From what I can see, those PSUs only have +5V and +12V and no -12V. While the Amiga will run, the audio and serial communication will be broken as that requires -12V.

So If I can find an American Amiga 1200 PSU I can just plug that into my PAL Amiga and it should work?

I'm a noob to amiga. I made a big mistake and bought a pal amiga 1200. The power supply is for Europe. Can I just get use this amiga in America? Any help would be appreciated.

My 600 is a PAL unit, and I replaced the UK power supply guts with a Meanwell power supply, and it works perfectly. I'll get the part number for you if you need me to. I had to sand down the corners to get it to fit, so it would behoove you to find one that fits without having to get the grinder out. ;>

As for the monitor the old Sonys do PAL as well as NTSC, but I would recommend at least trying it out on a LED first (those old monitors weigh a ton, and you can't get rid of them). The NEC Accusync LCD71V will support 15kHz, and you can still get them new in the box for cheap. Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIrNzV_k_E

Last edited:
So If I can find an American Amiga 1200 PSU I can just plug that into my PAL Amiga and it should work?
Yes. If you hook it up to an old NTSC CRT TV/monitor you might not get a picture, but a modern TV should have no problem displaying PAL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom