getting A600 soon

wilykat

Country
USA
Region
MI
I am getting Amiga 600 soon to replace 500 I used to have. It'd be mostly to play older games so no AGA required games. I am going to get CF adapter to use one of the extra 4GB CF card I still have, kickstart upgrade if it's not the latest 2.0 version, and trapdoor RAM to get 2MB (supposedly most games didn't need more than 1 but 2 is cheap anyway)

My display is LCD TV, the old 4:3 model with composite, S-Video and VGA. It's currently connected to my C64 via S-Video and I plan to get RGB to VGA to try first since it's cheap. If it works at 15khz, great (is there a thread of LCD display that works with Amiga via RGB to VGA?) If not, what are the suggestion for VGA upgrade? One that is currently available?

The TV is NTSC only and the A600 is PAL (more games supported this way :shhh:), I don't think my TV will work with composite PAL signal.

Also Gotek or HxC and which firmware?

You can turn on NTSC on the computer on early boot menu (mouse buttons down on boot). I would suggest an cheap accelerator like Furia mostly because you need some fast ram to run WHDLoad games from your harddrive. That said if you have gotek then you dont need whdload.

I have Kipper's 8MB RAM board in my A600 with Kickstart 3.1. WHDLoad works nicely with that setup. Years ago I also had an external scandoubler but the image quality wasn't that great.

Those cheap RGB > VGA boards scale the image badly and cause banding. Generally only people who need eye tests use them.

As you're in the US you're kinda shafted when it comes to getting a good TV for Amiga use. Maybe you should try and find a RGB monitor

If you can afford it, the Furia is an excellent choice for the 600. I have one in mine and it's fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom