AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Ya'll,

I'm wondering what USB options exist for A500+

I have seen Amigakit sell a clockport adapter which goes into the 68000 socket so I assume Subway/RapidRoad would work with this, however I have a Vampire fitted in my A500+ so I'm unsure whether it would physically fir or be compatible.

I know there are some Zorro II USB solutions, Highway, etc. Do these work via adapter?

Finally are there any trapdoor clockport adapters, do these even exist?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Is there no USB host core inside the Vampire? The FPGA is more than capable of doing it and there should be some good free USB host cores available. Perhaps the closed source nature of Apollo prevents them from using free 3rd party IP?

For clock-port USB hosts you need an 020+ core to run the Poseidon USB stack. Has anyone tried that on the Vampire?

There was a new A500/A500+ trapdoor RAM design recently. Perhaps the designer can add the clockport (or comment as to whether it is even feasible without wires to the GARY chip)

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85395

Last edited:
From what I understand there's limited space in the FPGA and I didn't see USB as anything in the pipeline. The USB stack as you say might be an issue they call their processor 68080 but I don't know if the instructions are 020 compliant.

From what I understand there's limited space in the FPGA and I didn't see USB as anything in the pipeline. The USB stack as you say might be an issue they call their processor 68080 but I don't know if the instructions are 020 compliant.

68080 is very compatible with 020 code so that should not be an issue, however I don't think that clockports will work with the Vampire. At least I have never seen anyone demonstrate that.
They have two USB sockets on the V4, and I hope they will support some generic USB stack like Poseidon and not just HID devices like keyboard and mice.

Cheapest would be to get a clockport adapter for the 68k.

Then add a RapidRoad if you have a 020(+) for Poseidon. Although basic functions are possible without the graphical user interface.

For an 68k you could use Anaiis.

Some ZII-cards may work in these A500-Side-expansion adapters but ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom