Telnet downloading issues (Amiga/PC)

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Here is one for the Telnet/Serial/BBS experts. So basically I got Telnet to work on an Amiga (and an old Pentium II Laptop) perfectly* using a USB to Serial adapter from my iMac connected to a Null Modem cable and then Amiga/PC.

When I say Telnet working perfectly, speed is good, door games work, ansi, menus they are all fine. But downloading is the issue where there are loads of errors, CRC errors etc... Basically cannot download.

Here is what I have tried:

A CH4 chipset USB/Serial adapter
A Prolific chipset USB/Serial adapter
Modem Emulators: Virtual Modem (Windows7 Parallels), TCPSER (Windows7 Parallels) and some other software (can't remember the name) from MacOS. All are modem emulators.
Tried 2 different Null Modem Cables
Tried JRComm and NComm on the Amiga and Telix for MSDOS on the Pentium II machine. All same result.
Tried 19200, 9600 and 2400 baud
Tried with Handshaking NONE (on both) and XonXoff (on both)

Same issue though when it comes to downloading. I've tried ZModem, YModem and XModem. All problematic.

What is funny is that by using the same hardware (Windows 7 Parallels, USB-Serial and Null Modem) I had absolutely no problems transferring FILES to and from an Amiga 1200 using Amiga Explorer.

I have now ordered ANOTHER USB to Serial adapter this time with the FTDI chipset, maybe I will have better luck. But my guess is it must be some software issue.

Hi Dougal,

Just stumbled upon your post and I’m experiencing the same issues. Currently I’m using a PC and an A2000 and a null modem cable between the two. I’ve also tried the same things, like different programs, different cables, different settings, you name it. I even put a Multifacecard in the A2000 to make sure it isn’t a faulty serial port.

Everything works fine, except for downloading, which results in to many CRC errors. The thing is, that it used to work, before I put a A2620 in the A2000 and downloading was fine. When I take out the A2620, downloading still remains crappy. It could be coincidence, but I’m pretty sure that I didn’t have any problems before.

As reinstalling the A2000 didn’t solve the problem, I’m currently preparing an A600 with the same software, to test whether it is experiencing the issues.

Btw, when I’m downloading using a comm-tool (netrunner) on my PC with the zmodem protocol, everything is fine. Did you try this as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

Since then I noticed it is only about 3 or 4 out of 10 BBS's where I experience this issue. The rest seem to work fine downloading Z-Modem using the Amiga downloading at approx 5-6K CPS over telnet.

Not sure why, but I have not tested using PC. We could compare if you like.

Hi Dougal,

Just stumbled upon your post and I’m experiencing the same issues. Currently I’m using a PC and an A2000 and a null modem cable between the two. I’ve also tried the same things, like different programs, different cables, different settings, you name it. I even put a Multifacecard in the A2000 to make sure it isn’t a faulty serial port.

Everything works fine, except for downloading, which results in to many CRC errors. The thing is, that it used to work, before I put a A2620 in the A2000 and downloading was fine. When I take out the A2620, downloading still remains crappy. It could be coincidence, but I’m pretty sure that I didn’t have any problems before.

As reinstalling the A2000 didn’t solve the problem, I’m currently preparing an A600 with the same software, to test whether it is experiencing the issues.

Btw, when I’m downloading using a comm-tool (netrunner) on my PC with the zmodem protocol, everything is fine. Did you try this as well?

Hi Dougal,

A comparison of BBS’es is fine with me, what are the BBS’es with the CRC errors you’re connecting to?

In meanwhile, I hooked up an Atari 1040STE to same nullmodem cable and PC with TCPSER and tried the same BBS’es and I got the same CRC errors.
Next thing I’m going to try is another PC. The A600 will be done later.

I’ll let you know what the results are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodmorning,

I made some progress yesterday when hooking up another PC. This worked fine using the same TCPSER and cable with my Amiga setup. Only the PC is different, with a different OS.

This leads me to believe that the handling of the COM port in combination with Windows 10 is the cause of the problems. Probably the support of the COM port is not that great anymore.

Anyway, I switched to the telser.device which routes all telnet traffic to the network interface of the Amiga and this workes fine as well for the time being. In meanwhile, I’ve ordered a wifi232 modem, which should work all my amigas and ataris with a rs232 port, so no more null-modem cable anymore!

Back
Top Bottom