Arduino Amiga Floppy Disk Reader/Writer (V2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. Does it only read or does it also perfectly write like it was said it would? Because I've build this project twice and it apparently only reads disks.
I've checked the signals with a logic analyzer and it showed that Write gate and Write data signals never are activated longer than a brief 2 us. It never works with Verify ON because it breaks of with a communication error only seconds after start. And with Verify OFF it very quickly steps over the writing to disk process creating useless disks.

I also compared the interface with Nick's ADFcopy that perfectly reads and writes Amiga disks and it showed that there must be something seriously wrong with the writing process of the AmigaFloppy Reader controller adapter.

I've asked Rob and he told me that it probably was the CTS timing signal that caused this. But my logic analyzer screendumps showed that other signals like STEP didn't work either comparing to Nick's correctly working ADFcopy interface.
The thing is that both my Arduino mini pro boards and FTDI rs232/USB adapters didn't work (both brand new!). Because I wanted to make sure I made no error and to rule out that maybe one of the boards was defect.
Only Reading disks works perfectly though!
I also tried to edit Rob's sourcecode .ino file with Visual Studio but version 2010 was too old to be able to edit the file. I therefore only was able to download and use the 1,96MB file. Maybe only the source code is errorfree?
However the not correctly writing bug could also exist in the Windows file that communicates with the USB connection?

Does anyone got any clue?

Last edited:
I've written adf disks with it with verify ON without problems. Sometimes I need to write old disks multiple times to get my actual Amiga to read it without errors, but that most likely is more the 30 year old disks problem.

I'm using Arduino Pro mini in the design as the project page says that Uno needs seperate serial breakout board for writing solution to work. But I assume that you have noticed that and also used Pro mini? Maybe you have ttl adapter issue? (I'm using these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FT232RL-...2-Max232-Download-For-Arduino-dp/253065338990 ) Or maybe you have issues on external power supply (I'm not using serial adapter to power the arduino as usb port usually has troubles powering floppy drive and arduino at same time (so usb vcc should not be connected if your building own adapter from scratch as that can cause problems)). My design has jumpers for flashing the update firmware with usb vcc vs operating with external power.

- - - Updated - - -

replied with payment details to zippysticks

Last edited:
Hi Jonni, I already replied on your quick confirming reply that writing disks also works.

I however could not find my previous answer to your comment so here again my reply.
I used exactly the same FTDI board as that was used by Rob in his article, without any luck in writing Amiga disks.
And using an external power supply for 5V made no difference at all.

Maybe the USB adapters didn't work, so I now ordered those RS232/USB boards you successfully used on eBay.
Thanks!

I can't see if the eBay board you suggested also has a CTS pin? I understand that it will be needed for Rob's project because grounding that pin won't work?

Last edited:
Hi Jonni, I already replied on your quick confirming reply that writing disks also works.

I however could not find my previous answer to your comment so here again my reply.
I used exactly the same FTDI board as that was used by Rob in his article, without any luck in writing Amiga disks.
And using an external power supply for 5V made no difference at all.

Maybe the USB adapters didn't work, so I now ordered those RS232/USB boards you successfully used on eBay.
Thanks!

I can't see if the eBay board you suggested also has a CTS pin? I understand that it will be needed for Rob's project because grounding that pin won't work?

Yes, you can see in the second ebay picture that it it has CTS pin in the same place that in any other board, ie between vcc and gnd. That pin needs to be connected to A2 in arduino.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom