Amiga A1200 Tower Project.

@Ed.D

you did all that with pretty much hand tools!!!!

Thats pretty awesome metal working right there!!!

@Ed.D

Starting search of aluminium plates...... I will try to "emulate" your professional job on my A4000 tower project.

Crossing fingers :).... It´s my first serious mod :oops:....

Thanks Zetr0 :)

@MerlinKV, I bought my aluminium from the dark side as a BIN (buy it now) item:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/ukfab12/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

These were the cheapest I could find in the UK (price driving comment?) and I know you're located in Spain, but to be honest you could probably get a piece of 'ally' at a local scrap merchant or similar for next to nothing. ...somewhere in Spain there'll be a satellite dish with a gaping hole in it!! :LOL:

1.5mm was the minimum thickness I wanted to use for strength. You may want to go thinner but I'd advise adding some right-angled strip down its length to make it stronger. Unless you have a fly-press or bending tool to add strengthening points.

Although I can't make it for you, if you need some help, ask away or PM me. As a tip (something I didn't do) it might be useful to make an accurate cardboard template of the back face first so you'll have an idea of where everthing might go, then transfer that to your metal.

All the best and Good luck.

@Ed.D

Don't worry my friend. In two or three days I have the plate. Not far I have a nice market with alot of materials.

Because, my case is PC Server case, I'm thinking to use a 2mm or 2.5mm plate.

If I have any doubth I contact with you.

I could design this . Creating an autocad file for the back panel when I'll get a case on my hands, and then send it for laser cut on inox aisi 304 material. Thickness should be not thinner than 1.2mm Satin, or 1.5mm - 2.0mm mat optimal. Mass quantities could follow if successful :D

Hi Hezor,

I'm hopefully going to be creating a drawing soon. Maybe other folks can use or change it if they have the same case and want to do a similar mod. I can maybe convert and upload it here if you wanted to make it into a professional format.

Only thing is my panel is custom made to the parts I used. I'll try to indicate that on the drawing.

Some things to watch out for:

The thickness of material used will matter. The thicker the plate, the more it will move the side and top panels backwards and away from the front bezel. So a slight gap will be evident. I'm probably just going to spray the 1.5mm gap on my case in black paint. Hmmm, might look nice in orange too. ...or green ...or blue! :unsure:

By removing the rear panel, all the fixings for the outer panels are also lost so I need to find a way to add captive nuts back into the case. I was thinking possibly those things they use on aircraft with 2 rivets and a thread in the center.

Last edited:
That's great news. I can redesign it to DXF or DWG autocad drawing. I have some aluminum A1200 plates here, so for a start I can make the amiga holes.

I'm sure it will be very well documented when done. (y)

I would recommend to use a plate of AISI 304 1.2mm Satin for smaller gaps, and nice machined finish.

I was concerned about those connections. It looks like my Darth Vader rivets :ninja: are going to be usefull!

Corel Draw drawing added.

Corel Draw drawing added.

Added a basic drawing in Corel Draw format version X3, for conversion of the Commodore gaming case, linked below and at the start of this thread.

Trying my best to convert it to other file formats.

Anyone is welcome to use this drawing but use at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for inaccuracies etc.

http://www.webed.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/CaseRearPanel.cdr

Regards,
Ed.

you can use a trial of coraldraw it will let you convert to many formats
thanks ed for file

@ Johnim,

ur welcome.

:) Trouble is I've created the drawings in the full Corel Draw X3 package but when exporting to DXF or DWG it leaves out some details e.g. all the dimensions and arrow pointers. I'll keep trying.

I just noticed I missed out a dimension between the RF modulator and PSU ports, now added. Pls re-download if needed.

Cheers,
Ed.

Just added encapsulated postscript although a bit large at 5.28MB.

http://www.webed.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/CaseRearPanel.eps

...if opened in Adobe Illustrator you'll need to resize your art board.

Last edited:
I can only use autocad compatible files.
Dimensions and numbers are not needed, if the drawing is correct of course!(y)

Added JPG and DXF format drawings.

Added JPG and DXF format drawings.

I've added a couple of extra file formats for the drawing (Pls see page 1 of this thread) and updated with some missing dimensions, (Thx Hezor :)).

Apparently the DXF format will not load into Autocad 2010.:shrug:

WOW, I've just been pointed at this thread from the commodore gaming one. I'm hoping to do a similar transplant. A lot of the planning work for me has now been done already. I can only say thankyou. :)

You're welcome Jurassicc (y)

Only thing is you might need to think about a smaller PSU and add the cutout for that and also how you are going to add in the PCI slots.

You could probably remove the slots that are already on the case and re-use them. I was going to do that originally but found an easier solution.

Cheers,
Ed.

Hi Ed.D

Great job, very useful and informative, I've ordered one of these cases, which makes this great to see what can be done.

cheers (y)

Thanks DonAmiga. :)

I think there are some other AmiBayers with the C= case trying similar mods with A1200s and possibly A4000s. It would be great to see the various builds as they progress and some more HW pr@wn added to the PhotoBooth area.

Good luck with your project. (y)

@ Ed.D

Mine is finished, took me all weeks. I have piccies on my memory stick. I just can't upload them at work.... maybe tonight if the kids let me have 5 mins to myself.

I took a somewhat different approach to the back.
Rather than cutting all the holes out for the ports I kept the RF shielding and made a rectangle for the ports. It works very well. I also kept the Original PSU and mounted it vertically above the PCI slots. However I had to ditch the C= PSU and reuse the newish ATX PSU from my Micronik Case as Amiga draws so little power it shuts its self down after a few seconds.

I hope to remove the inside of the PSU and put it in the C= to give it that final touch.

I see from you sig your just up the road from me ;-)

Last edited:
Wahey! good ol' Zummerzet!

That's great news Jurassicc and you've finished it already? :bowdown:

Mine will probly take a while yet, I've got some major DIY going on here at the moment. Need to get motivated for that tho :whistle:

Oh I forgot to say I reused the PCI slots from the C= case and pop-riveted it onto my new back, but as it only had rivet holes down one side I welded the other side to the back plate in 3 places. It realy helped with stiffening the whole lot up.
I opted for .6mm mild steel over aluminium in the end and painted it in black stone chip, basically as it dries satin, not too glossy, and i had a can handy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom