Closed LumaTOLB - LumaFix with TOLB combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The short answer: Your C64 consumes a bit more power for nothing.

LumaTOLB is designed to offer a solution for older boards which do not use the 7701/8701 and have problems with their clock generator which is designed around a cluster of discreet logic ICs. Since there probably is a signal coming out of these chips, good or bad, and they can't be removed easily like the 7701/8701, they must be disconnected from the VIC-II to avoid some sort of tug of war between them and the TOLB components.

For this reason, LumaTOLB is missing pins 21 and 22 (see the two X near C4 on the 3D image of the bottom layer). This is where the clock signal generated either by a 7701/8701 or the cluster of logic chips older boards carry comes into the VIC-II. Since LumaTOLB feeds the clock signals directly to the VIC-II it carries, these pins are no longer needed. Cutting them prevents conflicting signals.

If you use LumaTOLB on a board which has a socket for the 7701/8701, you can just remove it and sell it. It's outputs won't be connected to anything anymore.

If I understand this correctly the LumaTOLB could also be used on the C64 Reloaded MKII and get rid of the WiModem interference issue?

If I understand this correctly the LumaTOLB could also be used on the C64 Reloaded MKII and get rid of the WiModem interference issue?
Unlike all previous C64 boards, the C64 Reloaded MK2 has a completely independent clock generation architecture and this architecture is not documented. This board is also a radical departure from all previous C64 boards because it doesn't have a PLA and it uses static RAM instead of dynamic RAM. It also uses far more complex glue logic because of these characteristics.

It is impossible for me to tell if LumaTOLB is compatible or not with this board at this point.

Considering the information I have, if you have a problem with WiModem and interference, I suggest you use TOLB or LumaTOLB on the C64 Reloaded MK1 or any C64 mainboard made by Commodore before 1995.

Last edited:
Curious, could this be used on an SX-64 to change from NTSC to PAL? Or is the built-in CRT unable to handle PAL?

Curious, could this be used on an SX-64 to change from NTSC to PAL? Or is the built-in CRT unable to handle PAL?
AFAIK, the CRT cannot handle both display modes.

However, if you do convert an SX-64 from NTSC to PAL, it is always possible to connect a PAL monitor on the external monitor port.

This is really great. I'd be in for +1 NTSC and +1 PAL. You may have another hit on your hands!

Whoa! The previous post is vaguely reminiscent of a Shrek movie I saw a long time ago... :LOL:

I am quite sure it will start shipping by mid march. ;)

Take it easy people!

Black_Friday_waiti_3121541b.jpg

I will ship soon! I just ordered 40 boards!

A prototype is presently being tested. So far, we got a success!

I can now accept pre-orders!

Any work being done towards a C128 LumaFix ?
It's certainly possible but it would only affect the 40 column output. I don't think the VDC output needs a LumaFix anyways.

TOLB presently works on the C128.

TOLB works on both the C64 and C128?, different versions or the same board ?
Any work being done towards a C128 LumaFix ?
It's certainly possible but it would only affect the 40 column output. I don't think the VDC output needs a LumaFix anyways.

TOLB presently works on the C128.

- - - Updated - - -

Interest declared for 2 NTSC, PM sent.

TOLB works on both the C64 and C128?, different versions or the same board ?
Yes, TOLB is a replacement for the 7701/8701 so it works in all Commodore computers which uses that chip. There are only 2 versions of TOLB, PAL or NTSC.
These include
- C64 board 250425
- C64 board 250466
- C64 board 250469
- C64 Reloaded MK I
- all C128

LumaTOLB will only work on C64 boards because it is designed to be installed under a 40 pins VIC-II.
These include:

I hope I have answered all PMs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom