Not open for further replies.

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
LumaFix and TOLB combined in a single board called LumaTOLB.

The size and design of this board also finally allows boards 326298, 250407 and KU-14194 to have a new clock generator in a simple little board which fits neatly under the VIC-II. Designed to meet the tight space constraints of these C64 boards. It will also work well with all other C64 boards; 250425, 250466, SX-64 and C64 reloaded MK1. Available in NTSC or PAL flavors.

Chroma attenuation for normal S-Video levels is done with a fixed resistor instead of a potentiometer. You can cut a jumper to restore the full chroma amplitude for Commodore monitors/LCA cabling.

Price is 20 Euros (22.50$US) plus shipping.
Shipping a small packet (up to 8 units) to the US is 8$US. Shipping cost for Australia/NZ and South America is 10$US, Europe is 8 Euros.

LumaTOLB.jpg

Uses ultra low profile pass-through socket which adds only 4 mm height to the VIC-II. The perfect solution for defective clock generators on board 250407, 326298 and KU-14194.

Last edited:
Awesome news!

I installed a Lumafix64 a few days ago in my C64 Reloaded MK1, took half an hour to perfectly adjust the image... only to find out the keyboard wouldn't fit anymore in my new C64C case!

I was playing with the idea to swap the ZIF socket with a normal PIN socket to gain a bit of space to fit the Lumafix64, but this seems like a better solution.

Will definitely buy a couple when they become available.

Do you still need the 8701 IC in the computer or does this just by pass it? I grabbed your one and only PAL TOLB from WoC last month. Works great in my recently converted NTSC to PAL machine. I should have nabbed a LumaFIX as well. :(

Last edited:
Do you still need the 8701 IC in the computer or does this just by pass it? I grabbed your one and only PAL TOLB from WoC last month. Works great in my recently converted NTSC to PAL machine. I should have nabbed a LumaFIX as well. :(
TOLB completely eliminates the need for the 7701/8701 so it's the same for LumaTOLB.

I'm glad your PAL TOLB works well for you.

What happens when you leave the 8701 in its socket and install the LumaTOLB under the VICII?
The short answer: Your C64 consumes a bit more power for nothing.

LumaTOLB is designed to offer a solution for older boards which do not use the 7701/8701 and have problems with their clock generator which is designed around a cluster of discreet logic ICs. Since there probably is a signal coming out of these chips, good or bad, and they can't be removed easily like the 7701/8701, they must be disconnected from the VIC-II to avoid some sort of tug of war between them and the TOLB components.

For this reason, LumaTOLB is missing pins 21 and 22 (see the two X near C4 on the 3D image of the bottom layer). This is where the clock signal generated either by a 7701/8701 or the cluster of logic chips older boards carry comes into the VIC-II. Since LumaTOLB feeds the clock signals directly to the VIC-II it carries, these pins are no longer needed. Cutting them prevents conflicting signals.

If you use LumaTOLB on a board which has a socket for the 7701/8701, you can just remove it and sell it. It's outputs won't be connected to anything anymore.

Last edited:
Interesting! Couple of Qs:

1. Will this allow a 250407 NTSC to convert to PAL just by adding the PAL LumaTOLB?

2. If not does it minimize the process; eg requires only a PAL VIC but doesn't require moving the PCB jumper or changing the crystal?

3. Will a 250407 fit in a C64C case with a heat sink on top of the Vic?

Last edited:
Interesting! Couple of Qs:

1. Will this allow a 250407 NTSC to convert to PAL just by adding the PAL LumaTOLB?

2. If not does it minimize the process; eg requires only a PAL VIC but doesn't require moving the PCB jumper or changing the crystal?

3. Will a 250407 fit in a C64C case with a heat sink on top of the Vic?
1. Yes! Just like TOLB can convert a C64 board from NTSC to PAL and inversely, the same is true with LumaTOLB

2. Well, that was yes to Q.1 so...

3. This depends entirely on the type of heat sink. I can also modify a LumaTOLB to provide 5V on both pins 40 and 13 so you can use a 8562/8565 instead of a 6567/6569 on your board. The 856X produces much less heat and usually doesn't require a heat sink at all.

Well I am interested in both an NTSC and PAL version. PM when ready I guess?
I will announce it here.
I hate to ask, and won't hold you to it, but do you have a rough ballpark guesstimate ETA? A week/month/quarter?

I need to decide whether to proceed with the standard mod of my NTSC 250407 B to PAL or wait for this?

Can I also put myself first on the list if you need a beta tester for that mod?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This sounds like a nice little product. I have a regular Lumafix already but unfortunately it does not fit in my Reloaded board due to the ZIF socket so this would be the solution for that. Will it also be available from a reseller within EU/EEC?

Last edited:
I hate to ask, and won't hold you to it, but do you have a rough ballpark guesstimate ETA? A week/month/quarter?

I need to decide whether to proceed with the standard mod of my NTSC 250407 B to PAL or wait for this?

Can I also put myself first on the list if you need a beta tester for that mod?

Thanks!
Since I have both PAL and NTSC C64 boards of pretty much all types, I am my own beta tester.

I expect the first units to ship by mid March.

This sounds like a nice little product. I have a regular Lumafix already but unfortunately it does not fit in my Reloaded board due to the ZIF socket so this would be the solution for that. Will it also be available from a reseller within EU/EEC?
I am negotiating with European resellers.

Cool idea. Why not a dual VIC version ? Jumpered for NTSC & PAL
Because I would have to sell the product 150 Euros (switching all 40 pins between one VIC-II or the other is quite complex) and having a board which carries both ICs would cause some serious space concerns.

Last edited:
Since I have both PAL and NTSC C64 boards of pretty much all types, I am my own beta tester.

Do you definitely have a 250407 Rev B NTSC to test? ?
I have a Rev. A but I also know the differences between Rev. A and Rev. B and they have no impact on LumaTOLB.

Do we still need to swap out the VIC chip from NTSC to PAL though?
Of course. LumaTOLB, just like TOLB and LumaFix, generate the clock signals and produce minute level shifting to the Luma-Sync signal coming from the VIC-II but they cannot alter the fundamental properties of the VIC-II and the type of video signal coming from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom