floppy drive (PC drive modded to Amiga df0: 880k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaz

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Country
UK
Region
London
Well - the folk who wield soldering irons will most likely just do their own .... for those that don't ....

Drive mod has been neatly done - drive fully tested - as in :-

Boots the machine
Reads files
Writes files
Does regular AmigaDOS disk copies in both directions
Recognizes disk changes correctly
Correctly identifies write-protected disks

N.B. This drive will NOT read/write 2M floppies like a Chinon 357 - its just a regular Amiga 880k

If someone wants, I can check X-copy etc. (don't have that right now).

Uses standard drive mounting (M3 I think - spacing same as Amiga Chinon 354)
A Chinon 354 seems to be about 32mm in height (bottom of mount to top of lid)
This drive is about 25.5 mm in height.

To make it match the floppy slot in - say - a A500 - you would need to use about 4-5mm or so spacing between Amiga mounts and underside of drive, which might require somewhat longer screws and e.g. a few washers.

The trickiest thing though is the eject button .... see pics.

IMG_1736s.jpg IMG_1737s.jpg IMG_1738s.jpg IMG_1739s.jpg
IMG_1740s.jpg IMG_1741s.jpg IMG_1742s.jpg IMG_1743s.jpg

Last 2 pics are with drive stacked on top of a Chinon 354 (horizontally lined up) to show eject plate is displaced about
11mm to the left relative to the Chinon 354's button.

Various solutions - but you need a bit of DIY/ingenuity here :) .... may not be for the folk who want their Amigas looking pristine/unhacked from the outside.

Advantages of this drive though - the slimmer height might be useful if mounting stuff above the floppy drive
This drive will be a good deal younger than the originals - won't need any re-capping etc. The drive has come from a corporate PC - which means its likely never even been used.

This drive does not have a drive select jumper (to make it df1: in 2000 or tower Amiga) - but I _think_ I can modify for df1: if someone wants.

£12 + post (= £15 shipped to UK) .... ask about other destinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom