Not open for further replies.

Lukeno94

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Worcestershire
Looking for an IBM ThinkPad 600. It must be working fine, although it can be without a hard drive/caddy/working optical drive and have a dead CMOS battery.

Last edited:
I have one in my loft, it's been there for 10 years. I can't guarantee it still works and I have no time to test it.

There's a bag and lots of accessories such as extra batteries, DVD drive, etc. If you're interested I'll dig it out.

Hi, I've got it down from the loft but I don't think I will have time to try it until the weekend, I'll keep you posted. All the best.

Yeah thats a classic laptop. Used to have one .... 500MHz PIII ? Forgot now what I did with it. Needs PC100 256MB low-density 256MB sodimms to max it out.

Last edited:
I'm trying to replace my old one that a bad charger blew up (literally), since motherboard replacements have been a total bust in that thing ever since (must've damaged more than just the board, and that's with different RAM and CPUs tried). Was a real shame, as I actually used it to revise for my final Uni year exams (yes, even though that was only two years ago)!

Yeah thats a classic laptop. Used to have one .... 500MHz PIII ? Forgot now what I did with it. Needs PC100 256MB low-density 256MB sodimms to max it out.

I think mine is P1 200mhz, I know I maxed out the memory, the DVD drive was so expensive back in the day lol, I think it cost more than a whole laptop these day! The wife used to use it as her main PC and I had a bunch of emulators on it, I think we took it round Europe as well on our road trip.

Ah OK - coming back to me a bit now ..... there was (possibly) 600, then 600E, then 600X ... I had 600X (PIII @ 100MHz FSB) which could go as high as about 750MHz. I think all were basically the same chassis, screen etc. ...... yeah just checked - I was about right :)

Ah OK - coming back to me a bit now ..... there was (possibly) 600, then 600E, then 600X ... I had 600X (PIII @ 100MHz FSB) which could go as high as about 750MHz. I think all were basically the same chassis, screen etc. ...... yeah just checked - I was about right :)
Yeah the X is the PIII I was going to upgrade at one point.

600s were PMMX or PII, 600E moved to the newer connector type and were PII only. I did have a DVD drive for them, sadly that died and I was left with only having CD drives!

OK - can't remember now - did CPUs in laptops have a special "mobile version" connector, or low-power versions of the CPUs ?

I remember my 600X had a shedload of stuff that went in its bag .... think I had a CDRW, a DVD reader, external floppy drive, extra batteries, PC card ethernet, modem, SCSI adapter - in addition to the usual AC adapter, mouse etc. ... bit of a LEGO computer. Was a nice machine though. There used to be a Thinkpad 600 fanboy forum ISTR :)

That vastly depended on the laptop in question. Some were soldered on directly to the motherboard, and others in the PMMX to PII/early PIII era came on cards that also held the northbridge. The TP600 and 600E at least follow the latter. From the PIII onwards, the cards were generally replaced by sockets, although card-based PIIIs did exist. Occasionally, you'd find systems that used full desktop CPUs in laptop form - a bunch of generic shop-brand laptops based around the SiS chipset used desktop PIIIs or Celerons, whilst most AMD-based offerings were desktop sockets (which meant that certain AMD mobile CPUs appear to have been highly overclockable in desktops.)

These were generally not that different to the desktop CPUs really, and in fact some mobile PIII CPUs actually have higher TDPs and genuinely run hotter than their desktop counterparts (1 GHz Coppermine laptop PIIIs, in my experience, are furnaces no matter what system I've used them in.) The main difference is that they were generally running at lower voltages, really (and sometimes with different cache configurations). Until the Pentium M appeared, there were no real differences to speak of at all.

Hi, sorry it's taken me so long to get the laptop out, anyway here are some pics, it has 64mb Ram, PII (not sure what speed) HDD is dead I can hear it clunking and it does not boot, error 161/163 which I think is CMOS Battery but I don't offer any guarantees beyond what you see in the pics. All accessories will be supplied (sold as seen) and it comes in a old skool laptop bag. It has the original genuine PSU. It's a heavy chunk so P&P wont be cheap. If interested let me know what you'd be comfortable paying and I'll say yay or nay.

20180225_144843.jpg20180225_144848.jpg20180225_144852.jpg20180225_144901.jpg20180225_144945.jpg

Last edited:
HDD doesn't concern me; I have a zillion spare and would be swapping it out anyway for a bigger, newer unit. 161/163 errors are fine as well (as you say, they're CMOS battery errors). Not entirely sure about pricing; I'll start with £20 or £25 before P&P, is that something you'd be happy with or would you need more?

And received. Thanks, will get everything packed up and shipped in the next couple of days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom