A4000+ Alice motherboard DIY

hese

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Savo
Let me introduce you to the A4000+ Alice rev1 motherboard.
A4000+ motherboard is based on the Amiga 4000cr motherboard designed by Commodore.

I have been thinking for a while to do some Amiga hardware and decided to start with a relatively easy but laborious task, an Amiga 4000cr motherboard.
I didn't have a blank A4000cr motherboard PCB nor any high-resolution pictures of a blank PCB, so I had to layout the A4000+ PCB completely manually.
I used a fully working A4000cr motherboard as a reference.
The PCB dimensions and all component locations, hole locations, hole diameters, solder pad dimensions, component silkscreens, etc. of the A4000cr motherboard were manually measured and transferred to the PCB design software.
I draw the line at the PCB traces, those I didn't attempt to mimic from the original A4000cr board.
The PCB traces of the A4000+ were fully manually routed (which too ages).
The result is a quite close replica of the original A4000cr motherboard.

Here are a few pictures of the blank PCB.

A few pictures of the board being assembled.

Pictures of the finished board.

A4000+ motherboard being mounted in the Amiga 4000D case.

A4000+ motherboard fully working.

A screenshot of the designed PCB.

Link to the photo gallery:
A4000+ Alice motherboard

The next motherboard that I'm working on will be something completely different.

Hi,

Great. (y)

Btw. On board CPU is full 68030 and WhichAmiga screen EC030 - CPU is China fake?

Regards, Sveta

Great stuff! What's the next step design-wise? Could we see support for more onboard RAM, more Zorro slots etc?

Great stuff! What's the next step design-wise? Could we see support for more onboard RAM, more Zorro slots etc?

Agree with @fabbie54 for more On board RAM upgrade like the mod that allows 64mb of fast ram to be seen (not sure if this conflicts with some CPU Boards though) but this is a 4000D design motherboard so the amount of Zorro slots is governed by the Case size & Daughterboard or Busboard fitted.

@Hese some amazing engineering here well done (y)

Last edited:
Agree with @fabbie54 for more On board RAM upgrade like the mod that allows 64mb of fast ram to be seen (not sure if this conflicts with some CPU Boards though) but this is a 4000D design motherboard so the amount of Zorro slots is governed by the Case size & Daughterboard or Busboard fitted.

Sure, the original 4000D case would limit the number of slots. If the design allows for more slots, it could in theory be tweaked for other cases and form factors where that makes sense.

Sure, the original 4000D case would limit the number of slots. If the design allows for more slots, it could in theory be tweaked for other cases and form factors where that makes sense.

These already exist here are a link to a few:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/mediator4000
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/micronik4000
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/onboard4000

but if hese or anyone else with the skills to re-engineer these with the exception of the Mediator would be great.

unless your suggesting that the Zorro slots are fitted on the motherboard but then that turns it more into a 4000T motherboard :LOL:

Last edited:

Awesome work!!!!

an ATX Formfactor with ATX power connector would definately eliminate the need for old boxes or very expensive modified new boxes (modified 4000D -> T without scsi).
adding 4+ zorro busses and the mentioned 64mb ram hack.
implement the prometheus pci bus and adding PCI slots instead of ISA..
oh yeah !!

Last edited:
unless your suggesting that the Zorro slots are fitted on the motherboard but then that turns it more into a 4000T motherboard :LOL:

At this point I am not suggesting, just thinking aloud :-D Onboard slots on a replacement motherboard for the 2000 based on this design would rule.
It's all conjoncture anyway, I am sure Hese has his hands full with all kinds of work now.

Back
Top Bottom