Building an A1200 for WHDLoad

Little update; I decided to go ahead and install my FastATA, I mean who doesn't want Superfrog to load 66% faster?

20180616_144347.jpg

20180616_144604.jpg

I'm just waiting for another 44way IDE cable as I borrowed the one out of this for my CD32/TF328 lol.

I verified I could see the KS screen so fingers crossed should be fine.. (famous last words...)

Also I sat on my keyboard and bent it so hope that's ok! Forgot I put it on the chair and sat down to take the pics :picard

IDE cable turned up while I was away; finally got a bit of free time to test out. FastATA working just fine in PIO3 and PIO4 which is good (200x Verbatim CF) The HDD Light is constantly lit, cable is connected to the correct header pin (now) so must be the CF adapter so will pick up a new one at some point. Otherwise a nice boost to the speeds :) Plus the option is always there to add a CD Drive with minimum fuss.

20180714_130007.jpg

20180714_130318.jpg

Last edited:
I think you can mod that CF adapter to fix the LED problem, I think it involves soldering a wire to two points to fix it.

Nah you're cool JD64 I will probably use an SSD or something instead of the CF card now I have the FastATA to get the best speeds, I think the limit now is only the CF card.

Oh another useless fact, sitting on my keyboard fixed the escape key which wasn't working LOL.

Oh another useless fact, sitting on my keyboard fixed the escape key which wasn't working LOL.

was it a membraine fix or just the key?

They Key wasn't registering since I bought it, after accidentally sitting on the keyboard (while it was outside the Amiga) and bending back it's now working fine LOL

Just picked up one of these, hopefully it will arrive soon, I have a feeling it's coming from China even though it says 'shipped from UK' in the listing! Be interesting to see if it gets me faster speeds than the CF with the FastATA.

ssd.jpg

SSD arrived, even includes a cable :)

20180802_145644.jpg

That's a bummer I installed the SSD after writing one of my 16gb Images to it (PFS3_AIO file system)

After loading the ATA3 driver the fails to boot (HDD LED stays on) Have tried lowering the PIO setting to 3 but this didn't help

Boots fine without the ATA3 driver and is detected by the ATA3 prefs tool.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems this device can't do anything over PIO-0 :(

- - - Updated - - -

The SSD is definitely fast as it wrote 16gb image in a few minutes lol

That's a bummer I installed the SSD after writing one of my 16gb Images to it (PFS3_AIO file system)

After loading the ATA3 driver the fails to boot (HDD LED stays on) Have tried lowering the PIO setting to 3 but this didn't help

Boots fine without the ATA3 driver and is detected by the ATA3 prefs tool.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems this device can't do anything over PIO-0 :(

- - - Updated - - -

The SSD is definitely fast as it wrote 16gb image in a few minutes lol

Thats a bummer :( i ordered one yesterday, for my Amiga 1200. But hopefully it will work ok on the normal internal ide-controller…

Last edited:
Thats a bummer :( i ordered one yesterday, for my Amiga 1200. But hopefully it will work ok on the normal internal ide-controller…

Yeah it works perfectly on the normal IDE of course you need to use a compliant file system & scsi.device which supports the size of the drive :)

It's the FastATA it has issues with, mine is the old MK1 or 2, the MkIII or IV might work, I may upgrade or I may just stick my CF card back in and use the SSD for something else!

Yeah it works perfectly on the normal IDE of course you need to use a compliant file system & scsi.device which supports the size of the drive :)

It's the FastATA it has issues with, mine is the old MK1 or 2, the MkIII or IV might work, I may upgrade or I may just stick my CF card back in and use the SSD for something else!

Yes i will use PFS and a newer scsi.device :) I was thinking about ordering a FastATA IV..Not the end of the world if its not working

Yes i will use PFS and a newer scsi.device :) I was thinking about ordering a FastATA IV..Not the end of the world if its not working

I have a good feeling it would work with the new FastATA as they have V10 driver which is not available to the older devices.

Back
Top Bottom