Golem SCSI+IDE Setup

thebajaguy

Country
United States
Region
Rhode Island
I picked this card up from someone here on AmiBay, and my initial testing for the card (AutoConfig's clean, and a driver, fastscsi.device v4.0, is active and discovered off the 4.x marked ROMs) was good enough for me to claim it functional. I'm not going to go back on that statement, but I need some guidance from someone that has one running.

I don't have many terminators currently handy, and they are not present on the card's SCSI interface, so I'm ignoring the SCSI for now until I can put 2 terminated devices on a cable and the card at the middle.

I do have an IDE DOM (of the same model) that works on my A4000, and also on an IDE68K, but I don't want to mess the prepped and formatted units up, so I have a spare. It's PSU powered, so I'm not trying to steal from pin 20. I have seen a few notes that the IDE can be disabled, but I have no docs on the DIP switches, or the switch at the rear.

I've pulled up HDToolBox, and GVP's ExpertPrep, with the driver name, and they are likely scanning the SCSI ID's 0-6 and finding nothing. What tools (or adjustments, prep-wise) are needed to have the prep tools see the IDE interface?

Does anyone have this card working with just the IDE?

I'm a bit shy on mechanical IDE drives, or I'd plug one in.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I know this hw. ;-) working. IDE is really good, tested CF adapter. HDToolbox works fine. No any info about DIP switches. All set on and back switch too on.

On board IDE A4000D must be without device.

Regards, Sveta

Last edited:
Thanks. At work now, but my memory recalls the DIPs are not all in one direction, so I shall tinker with it tonight. I'm testing in a bare-bones A2000 with only a 2MB Chip adapter/Rev 6.2 and KS 3.1, so few variables. As noted, HD tools know the driver is live, so it's probably the DIP settings. Thanks for the note on A4000, but odd that it has that requirement (or is it due to boot delay?). Does the card's IDE interface run off native scsi.device or onboard fastscsi.device?

Does anyone USA-based have spare 221/331 SCSI terminator (SIP) packs? Looks like I need a few of both the 8 (Quantum & others using 3x) and 10 pin (Maxtor & others using 2x) variants. There was a day when I had dozens of these packs in my desk drawers, but over the years and all the moves, they've gone by the wayside. Funny, but the one Fujitsu 42F I have still have around has it's gray DIP terminator chip.

Ok, made it home and tried those few things. However, no luck.

All DIPs up, and switch. Checked pin [1] square on the rear (closest to front) on the IDE header & device, blank (new) DOM, never prepped. I see a brief OS check of the floppy (Gotek), and a brief blip I think on the HD LED (Amiga wire), but there's never a timeout and boot from floppy.

Pulled the IDE off.

Added 2 SCSI devices on a three connector cable, controller middle (no terms), Fuji 42MB on one end (term on drive, ID1), and a MonsterCF with terminator on at the other side (ID0), with the cable about 2 feet long. I know I see a floppy blip, and definitely 2 SCSI blips (one matches the blip on the MonsterCF), but then it just sits there, never times out.

If I power on with mouse buttons pressed, I get the standard bright power LED, then seconds later a fast pulsing of the LED until I release the buttons. But same result.

Ref: Kickstart 3.x, 2MB Chip. Added a GVP HC2 with ROM disabled and 2MB FastRAM, but no change in behavior. Flipping the rearmost DIP switch down (off) had no effect.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry my fault with DIP switch. At testing is one really OFF (latest from front card) I have too photos from testing - no problem send later. On SCSI have at test small SCSI 50 pin HDD ca. 1GB? On IDE tested some CF cards via CF adapter and all working under HDToolbox fine - this is not new 2018 Buddha ;)

I have tested fastscsi.device 4.0 too under tools from AsimCDFS.

Regards, Sveta

Last edited:
Tested in emulation: fastscsi.device 4.2 ("fastscsi.device (fastscsi device (romversion) V4.2 (06-FEB-95)") uses unit 8 for IDE master. 0-7 are for SCSI.

I don't have v4.0 (which most likely works identically, unit number change would have been too confusing), it is located at $e90000 to $e93fff = 16k, assuming first board, if you want to dump it without rom reader.

When I initially ran HDToolBox with just the IDE unit on, it didn't find anything of the 2GB IDE DOM (or the 4GB IDE DOM) I have. I had the last DIP switch in the down position when I had first started.

Rear switch hasn't had any effect on the more recent SCSI attempts. Downside to testing is the (relative) scream of the mechanical drive bearings. I'm spoiled with having silent flash media nearly everywhere now.

I'll also grab HDInstTools and see what it does tonight. The GVP ExpertPrep package only allows IDs 0-6 before looping back, so only a possible option for SCSI units, once I figure that part out.

I can burn ROMs, but don't have an emulation environment to pull anything from at the moment.

Also, the card has 2 EPROMs, so I assume it's built as hi/lo 8K each?

Rob

Hi,

You have please test too with CF card via CF adapter on 3,5" IDE on Golem card?

Regards, Sveta

Last edited:
Hi,

OK. I have test with some "no name" or another brand CF 2GB with installed OS 3.9 - boot very fast. All on my A4000D with ROM 3.1

I must check later my photos.

Regards, Sveta

Last edited:
I had some things to do last night, and didn't get to check anything out, so further testing will hopefully be over this weekend.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom