rev 5 A500 and IDE on a relocated 68k socket board

slaz

Country
UK
Region
London
Come up against a snag with my TF530 installation in the rev5 A500.

To use IDE, we need a KS ROM > 2.05 right ? Well all these ROMs are 512k - yes ? So they need the patch wire mods to the ROM

pin 1 <-> pin 31 on the socket
pin 21 <-> bent up pin 31 on the ROM

Now I did this using a 40-pin DIL socket - but then, due to the extra height of the KS ROM, it fouls on the (Kipper2k) 68k relocator board.

The only way around this that I can think of is to run the 1 <-> 31 patch wire on the underside of the mobo ..... which is a bit of a PITA.
Anyone know of a another/better way ?

TIA.

tin the wires and stuff them into the socket top side? or find trace/via and tack on there?

Yeah - well I had thought of that .... reckoned it would be just too fiddly, but I've just cut a pin off a dead DIL chip to stuff into the socket underneath the bent-up pin 31 - and it _does_ look possible. Need a bit of tiny sleeving or some such to keep it apart from pin 31 on the ROM .... gonna be damn fiddly to fit methinks - but worth it to not have to butcher anything or modify the mobo.

If it works out OK I'll post pics .... am I the first to encounter this ?

Well yeah I'd be surprised if I WERE the first. Would have thought its worth a mention by the folk selling expansions that use relocator boards.

My own rev5 / KS ROM situation is sorted now - pretty much in the way you mentioned - forgot to take pics though.

Back
Top Bottom