Amithlon Help..... please. ;)

Jameson

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
Calling all Amithlon Guru's your urgent help is needed. Please proceed immediately to flight deck 7b and await further instructions. ;)

Hey guys. I am attempting to build several Amithlon systems, and hopefully an Amithlon laptop.

There are many guides on the 'net, but they are not overly clear and so it would be best for me to get some good advice from those more knowledgeable than I.

I see there are several new kernals but there seems to be a difference of opinion as to which is the best to use. Some saying kernal4 (the latest), whilst others are saying to stick to kernal 3.10. I can tailor the hardware to suit the kernal so really want the best/easiest and most stable systems.

Which brings me to the topic of hardware. I want to build as high spec as possible (within reason of course) systems to show off the capabilities of Amithlon, so I need to know the best motherboards, CPUs, Graphics Cards and Sound Cards (if the motherboard audio is not supported).

I already have a couple of Abit VA-10 motherboards with Athlon XP 2800+ CPUs as I believe the onboard AC97 should be compatible, and the Via chipset should make the USB compatible as well - is this correct?

Also, can anyone suggest a few fully compatible laptop models? I know the Dell Latitude C series are compatible but they are getting quite long in the tooth and difficult to find these days, whilst the CoreDuo Latitude D series is very easy to find.... but I am not sure how compatible they are.

Lastly, depending on the kernal required, I have NO IDEA how to compile a new Amithlon install CD with the new kernal and drivers (apparently there is also a new driver pack file available) - so would really appreciate help in this, or better still, if someone already has a compiled ISO image or can make me one I would be more than happy to pay for their time as this will be one less headache for me (I am truly a Linux newbie).

Any and all help will of course be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

yessum had a good look on that site and there is a wealth of information..... but it is very unclear. For instance, on the hardware page it lists a brief summary of the extra hardware support for both the 3.10 kernel and kernel4. Kernel4, for instance, includes support for more FX series cards.... but does not clearly state whether AGP or PCI or both are supported.... then further down it only lists FX based cards in the Accelerated PCI card section not AGP, however this is not made clear as it whether this list pertains to the newer Kernel4.... or the original Kernel with the Kernel4 inclusions being separate. It also lists some motherboards etc, but it is not clear as to which are BEST supported, most stable etc.

This is the main problem I have found - there is quite a bit of information pertaining to Amithlon available, but none of it is well written and clear. I am sure a more experienced person would immediately know what is being said, but a newbie (such as myself) just gets more confused as nothing is made clear. :(

Last edited:
The guy that maintains that site has an active thread on eab, he answers a lot of queries there.

Yessum, his name is Tom and I have been speaking with him via email.... it's getting clearer..... but still not clear enough. :)

I am stuck on soundcards at the moment - anyone know if there is a list of soundcards that use the Emu10k1 chipset?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I have the soundcards sorted. So far I have: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Motherboards

2 x Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Motherboards
2 x Core Duo E8600 3.3Ghz CPUs
2 x Creaative Soundblaster Live! (Emu10k1) Soundcards
2 x ATX Cases with 750w PSUs
2 x IDE DVD Burners

Apparently Sata is supported on this motherboard with the kernel 4 update but I am wondering if there is any reason to go Sata over IDE as I have heard that Sata can be a bit hit and miss with Amithlon.

Unfortunately this motherboard does not have an AGP slot as it is too new, so I have to go with PCI Graphics Cards, of which the FX 5500 is supposedly the best.

Any advice on the Sata and video cards?

Last edited:
Please close - found a very helpful Amiga forum - up to UAE integration for custom chip support! :)

I was trying some configuration with Amithlon a few weeks ago...
Is eab that helpful forum? or is it another forum?
I saw a big thread about Amithlon, but every other source of information about Amithlon would be welcome :)
Thanks!

Last edited:
I saw a big thread about Amithlon, but every other source of information about Amithlon would be welcome :)
Thanks!

I'll second that! Sharing the link with us is not a bad idea. BTW, i see no reason to close this thread, as it is of technical content and not a sales thread.

Amithlon.snkbitten.com is my site. I'm planning to update the install guides soon to make it easier to follow but life keeps getting in the way. The information in the hardware reference guide is pretty straight forward. The hardware has been tested by myself or others. If Kernel 3 and Kernel 4 are listed on a motherboard it works with both. The listed support by the kernels is as described by the kernel owners and not verified. Gary lists PCIe support for Nvidia cards but I have not found one that works. Kernel support is very close between the two but kernel 4 adds some newer chipset support.

Back
Top Bottom