Return to the Amiga 1200 - My Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being interested with towering my A1200 back in 97, but then my mates got PCs and I quickly forgot about my pledge never to go over to the dark side due to my love of my Amiga.

Crikey, that brings back memories. I remember when the PC first came on the scene as a serious contender. One of my mates was an early adopter and snagged a 386 - he was always singing its praises and the group of us with Amiga's would defend our computers staunchly. PC's really were a walk over onto the Dark Side back then ! Little did we know how things would turn out though and every single one of us, jumped ship for a PC at some point - he was right all along lol.

Oh, and I meant to say keep an eye on here for accelerator cards, they can be a fair bit cheaper than eBay sometimes.

Top tip. Though I'm not seriously looking as yet (you guys are doing some really good arm twisting though!) - but will definitely keep my eye out in here, as well as a few other places I tend to scour for bargains ;)

Just beware with some of the new things that are upcoming that you dont buy it based on what it should do after further development, but on what it can do when you are buying it.

Although some do deliver, these are not big companies with huge teams and often promised future plans dont happen.

I rejoined the amiga scene in 2012 and have seen and experienced a number of such cases. Even if they happen in the end things usually take longer than planned.....

Just beware with some of the new things that are upcoming that you dont buy it based on what it should do after further development, but on what it can do when you are buying it.

Although some do deliver, these are not big companies with huge teams and often promised future plans dont happen.

I rejoined the amiga scene in 2012 and have seen and experienced a number of such cases. Even if they happen in the end things usually take longer than planned.....

I can understand that. People have vision - big plans, but if they've other commitments it's pretty easy to see how things can get prolonged, or just left to the way side.

I'm ever the realist though. Everything I get is for the "now" - what do I need? Want's are great, but it's easy to get carried away - perfect analogy in the example you've outlined.

Person thinks "I want that expansion because they're promising it will do x, y & z in the future."

Either - that future never materialises (due to external influences just not making it happen) or that future does materialise, but when it does they're already too late to the game and something else has already surpassed it.

You only have to take a trip down memory lane for what happened with Atari (and to a lesser extent Commodore in the end) to see that even the big boys get it wrong.

I'm a firm believer of go with what's there now - not for the promise of tomorrow.

You're less disappointed that way.

Thanks for the heads up though - it's appreciated. I'm sure everyone enters into these things with the best of intentions, but you know what they say the road to hell is paved with...

Best regards,
Matt.

Last edited:
Ahh I have my A1200 sitting next to my PC, lockdown has given me time to really dig in to it, I got more joy from getting a pcmcia Ethernet card working than watching endless YouTube videos,

excellent story!

congrats

Dave

Welcome back to the Amiga! Thanks for your orders.

We have a very low cost A1200 8MB Fast Memory card in stock now perfect for use with WHDLOAD, shipping from UK:

This will let you choose between 4MB, 5.5MB and 8MB modes - the first two are PCMCIA compatible. It also has future expansion for up to a 40MHZ FPU and Real Time Clock and second Clockport header.

Last edited:
Ahh I have my A1200 sitting next to my PC, lockdown has given me time to really dig in to it, I got more joy from getting a pcmcia Ethernet card working than watching endless YouTube videos,

excellent story!

congrats

Dave

lol - yep - I'm on with a few other projects alongside this - much better to keep busy, rather than binge watching entire series on Netflix or the like. Although I have started watching Doctor Who right from the start on Britbox ;)

Thanks for the kind words :)

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome back to the Amiga! Thanks for your orders.

They arrived this morning. RGB > SCART Cable & CF Adapter now in hand.

Just awaiting the return of my motherboard & keyboard with baited breath now to start getting this all connected back together.

The excitement is definitely building !

Many thanks for the expedient service :)

Last edited:
I hope Steve gets your 1200 back to you soon - I keep checking for updates to the adventure and need my daily fix!

I hope Steve gets your 1200 back to you soon - I keep checking for updates to the adventure and need my daily fix!

Me too! I've got a few separate threads ongoing at the minute with updates in the pipeline - the reassembly one will likely be the next big one. I've got a plan worked out for that.

The joystick bits have started arriving now though - once the tester arrives, I can likely crack on and get those refurbished then post an update there.

I've also been picking up a few others bits and bots, so there'll be a summary style post at some point too - more like a "sound bite" affair on a few different things - and of course, I'll be stripping down and selling floppies soon too !

Plenty to keep me busy - unfortunately not enough to make a full post with one of the sub-projects completed yet.

More content is definitely on the way though.

Stay tuned !

Best regards,
Matt.

"The joystick bits have started arriving now though - once the tester arrives, I can likely crack on and get those refurbished then post an update there."

A few years back I made myself a little joystick tester as I am quite particular about my joysticks and so tend to try and repair them every so often. I quite enjoyed the project and its still going strong. Anyway, I look forward to your updates!

"The joystick bits have started arriving now though - once the tester arrives, I can likely crack on and get those refurbished then post an update there."

A few years back I made myself a little joystick tester as I am quite particular about my joysticks and so tend to try and repair them every so often. I quite enjoyed the project and its still going strong. Anyway, I look forward to your updates!

I toyed with the idea for a nano second - but as I would have had to buy the bits anyway and it worked out with shipping roughly the same price, I just went with the pre-assembled one from a reputable source. I'm going to be having a little wiring fun with my Slip Stik in anycase to fix the fire button. That'll give me an excuse to get the soldering iron out at least ;)

Had a set back today with the desk space renovation - had to source an alternative product. It's just as good.. but not quite the same. Last piece of the puzzle there so when it arrives, I'll tell you my tale of woe once that's all been put together :)

Best regards,
Matt.

Last edited:
Part #6 - Sticks of Joy !

It's been a few days since I posted my last update - largely in part due to being quite busy fixing things for both this and another project I've got going on in the background. As the title suggests and I'd hinted at previously as being my next post, this update is surrounding all things joystick. You may recall from a previous update I posted that in total I have ordered 3 joystick's for this project: 1 x Suzo "The Arcade", 2 x Zip Stik and had 2 supplied with the Amiga: 1 x Quick Shot (now identified as the Apache) & 1 x Slip Stik, missing the fire button.

It's fair the mention not everything has gone to plan with my Joystick repairs - adding some delays, so there will be future updates on this topic but I have got to a position now where I've got a couple of fully functional joystick's I can use when my motherboard gets back and I can reassemble my Amiga 1200

So - let's get onto an update on each:

Suzo "The Arcade"

This was the Joystick I purchased directly from Amiga Scene over in the Netherlands - I've been very excited for this to arrive. I never owned one of these before but whenever I played on one I was always like a kid in a candy shop.

Imagine my delight when this box arrived with the postman:

IMG_20200523_110812.jpg

Much as I would have loved to just rip straight into the box, I was actually very careful - I don't want to break whatever's inside - in all fairness, it was the only thing I'd ordered from the Netherlands so the post mark gave it away - yet until the box is open you never really know what's inside - like Schrödinger's cat. Finally the box was open though and to my delight it was just what I'd wanted.

A thing of beauty to behold. It fit perfectly in my hand and the fire button was quick and snappy to press but unfortunately there was a bit of a problem. Now, I went into this purchase knowing that this was a refurb unit so knew it had been repaired, but I wasn't expecting it to be as stiff as it was. When I pressed in a direction it felt almost as if the plastic was rubbing against itself. It felt sturdy and responsive and tested perfectly fine on the Joystick Tester but that darned rubbing - just made it stiff to move in any direction. Not wanting to have to have to jump straight to contacting the seller to return it, I thought I could take a quick look and see what was going on. Likely it would be a simple fix - and it turned out it was.

One quick disassembly later and it became clear - there was no lubricant around the stick or the internal plastic components where it moved and sure enough, it was slightly rubbing on the plastic when I moved it whilst disassembled. The repairer hadn't thought to apply some grease to it and the result was plastic on plastic rubbing in places. Enter stage right > My large tube of Multi-Purpose grease and a few cotton buds. I took to liberally applying some lubricant to the affected areas - here's a picture for posterity below:

IMG_20200524_010257.jpg

End result? Once reassembled this Joystick now responds like a dream. No rubbing just smooth motion in all directions. Much as I love a Zip Stik, if this play-tests as well as I think it will, it might just become my daily choice. I'm still a little wary of the reliability reports, but my initial impression is very positive. Just a case of waiting to get the Amiga back and assembled to test it out some more now.

Zip Stik's (Two of them!)

You may recall, I purchased two "questionable" Zip Stik's. One was advertised as fully working but had been in a loft for some time, the other was advertised as Faulty. See if you can figure out which is which. Here's a picture of the two side by side:

IMG_20200524_111523.jpg

Well, did you guess ? Yep - the one of the right is the working one. It just arrived looking so much tidier as if care had been taken over it. So - let's give a report on that one first. Overall, this Joystick is in fabulous condition. Before I even looked to refurb it, it tested perfectly fine and was exceptionally positive to movement and button presses. Imagine my further delight when I opened it up and found that the fire button's have already been repaired/upgraded to newer Micro Switches already.

As I'm a firm believer of "if it's not broke, don't fix it" I'll not be doing anything else to this joystick at the minute. It works great and feels just like old times when I hold it in my hand. Once the Amiga is back in operation I will of course be putting it fully through it's paces with the Suzo. I have spare Microswitches so if needs be I can always jump on and swap out anything which doesn't feel just quite right.

Which takes us on to Zip Stik #2. Oh dear, oh dear. Where to start.

Well, firstly - it arrived definitely as advertised - faulty. Up did test ok on the tester but other than that, everything else was dead. Now, that in itself wasn't too big a surprise. I had planned on refurbing and replacing all of the microswitches on this one in anycase - but, alongside it not working it just didn't feel right. Not only was the weight off, but the directions and fire buttons didn't have that familiar microswitch click to them. Now I know different brands of microswitch give different experiences, but this just felt completely wrong.

Screwdriver out - time to disassemble. Imagine my surprise once I had and found this:

IMG_20200524_114412.jpg

Not a separate microswitch in sight. Some kind of weird board with everything integrated. It has embossed upon it "Power Play ISS 4". I can only imagine this was some kind of cheap repair board from back in the day ? If anyone has any further information they can share on this it would be appreciated. I'm really curious as to the origins of this - I can't find any references to it when I've searched google (although Power Play and ISS have quite a lot of results for other things, not joystick related!). In anycase, not only is it faulty but it's completely different to what I was expecting. As it was advertised as faulty I wasn't intending to send it back, so I put my thinking cap on. If this was some kind of cheap repair from back in the day, logic would follow that likely I could return it back to a fully working microswitched Zip Stik ? I had most of the parts so why not give it a bash...

So first things first, I disassembled my working Zip Stik to check it out. This is where I noted a few differences.

1) The screw holes from the base to the top part were in slightly different places. Interestingly, I can actually screw the bases on either joystick, but they don't feel the same when I do.
2) The base on the faulty joystick is missing the plastic parts which hold microswitches in place. This would need to be solved.
3) The joystick "sticks" themselves were different. The working one was black, the non working one was white.
4) The white one sits lower down in the base of the joystick than the black one. This would make fitting an autofire impossible as will become clear later.
5) On the white platform, two of the screw holes I need to use to secure microswitches into place are still blanked off. This indicated to me that that part was either new, or this joystick had never been a microswitch variant. Still, I wasn't going to be deterred.

Now, at the time of writing, this joystick is still a work in progress. I only have black and red wire in my toolkit and as I'm going to need to completely rewire this I'd prefer to do it with correctly colour coded wires so I've gone ahead and orderered some along with some 4.8mm crimps. My plan is to get this Zip Stik as close as possible back to original working order and condition. That said, even without being wired up I have been able to test out the theory to some degree and have temporarily got all of the microswitches secured in place (I did some clever Stanley Knife work to uncover the needed 2 screw holes) and tacked down the fire switches too.

Here's what it looks like at the moment:

IMG_20200525_095102.jpg

As you can see in the picture, because the white platform sits raised the place where the autofire switch board would go there is a pesky microswitch in the way. This may well mean adding auto fire to this joystick is out of the picture - add to the fact I've not been able to source an original replacement circuit board and this doesn't appear to be a standard 555 switch I would have expected. I could maybe figure out where to locate it, but it seems a little overkill at this point as I have a working Zip Stik with Auto Fire.

So - the good news is that even in this configuration (albeit not wired up yet), when reassembled it actually now feels like a Zip Stick when pressing the directions and fire buttons. It returns nicely back to it's start position and is very responsive. From this initial work I've done, there appears to be no issues with adding microswitches back - except the autofire switch problem. I'm quietly confident I'll return this to a fully working micro-switched Zip Stik once the colour coded cables arrive so I can wire this up properly.

I've also disassembled the ISS 4 board originally in it, to remove the cable & auto fire switch. Obviously I'll be using the cable and the auto fire switch will be going in my box of bits to look at again another day.

End result ? 1 fully working Zip Stik (#1) with Auto Fire, 1 Zip Stik(#2) still under refurbishment without Auto Fire - this will end up being effectively a complete interior reconstruction by the time I'm done.

Slip Stik

Not really much to update on this one at the moment. Parts for this were really difficult to source as I mentioned before - which meant I had to get some of them from the US. As of writing, they still haven't arrived yet so I've not done anything of note here yet. The faulty Zip Stik took more of my time than I was intending in any case - but this will be up for repair and upgrade to a microswitched fire button as soon as all of the pieces arrive. Stay Tuned !

Quickshot Apache

This was the joystick which came with the system. Good news - it fully works ! Bad news - just not the joystick for me. This feels very Flight Simulator-y to the touch. When I pull together my first For Sale post this will probably be included on it. For now, I'm going to keep a hold of it - just in case I need to rob it for parts. Highly unlikely - but you never know !

..and there you have it...

I've now got 2 fully functional joystick's for my setup as I mentioned near the start of this update. They are:

1) Suzo "The Arcade" & 2) Zip Stik #1 (Auto Fire model)

Both in fantastic condition and full working order - two is all I need for some great two player action on the all time classic that is Bubble Bobble to play with my better half - and that is what I have.

Next order of business for these is to get them hooked up to the Amiga when it's back and put them through their paces. Let's see which one I ultimately prefer for my Daily Gamer. If it ends up being the Suzo, I'm going to have to build or get a hold of an external auto fire switch (which would actually solve the problem with Zip Stik #2 by having an external auto fire box). Likely if I go through route I'd want a variable control for it - but that's all decisions for another day !

Here's a picture of my two babies to leave you with..

IMG_20200525_101438.jpg

Until next time!

Best regards,
Matt.

Last edited:
There seems to be several different versions of the Zipstik - the one I have now was "new old stock" Autofire/sticky cups version bought in the early 2000s, has a matt finish and feels noticeably different to my 1980s/90s vintage shiny non-autofire one I had back in the day. I think there are a load of Chinese clones knocking about now too.

There seems to be several different versions of the Zipstik - the one I have now was "new old stock" Autofire/sticky cups version bought in the early 2000s, has a matt finish and feels noticeably different to my 1980s/90s vintage shiny non-autofire one I had back in the day. I think there are a load of Chinese clones knocking about now too.

I'm presuming the faulty one I have started off as the latter. I've done a bit of research and found mention of auto fire version and non-auto fire version but the official ones all look like they were equipped with microswitches from the factory. I could be wrong, but at the minute it's looking like this is either a chinese clone, or a cheap repair job to me.

When I'm finished with Zip Stik #2 though it'll be renewed with a new lease of life as a proper Zip Stik - Zippy Microswitch powered !

Just a case of waiting for the coloured wires now...

Best regards,
Matt.

Last edited:
Part #7 - An eclectic mega mix of updates

Well, another few days have passed and there's been quite a bit of activity on the various sub-projects going on as part of my journey back to the Amiga 1200.

So - let's dive straight in !

1) Disks (Revisited)

I gave a pretty big update on a collection of "blanks" I picked up recently. I've now pulled out a fair amount of branded disks for my base supply, but will definitely have a lot of disks left over for anyone who needs some. The "sticky stuff remover" has arrived - amazing product by the way - I'm just waiting on the labels. I bought a few rolls of "new" old stock from the US at a good price - once they get here, it'll be relabelling, formatting (once my Amiga is back and re-assembled - more on that shortly) then eventually adding the ones I don't need to my first For Sale post in bundles of 10. All nice and refurbished.

There has been another development on the Disk front though. As you may recall from my first post, when I sourced the Amiga, it didn't come with any Workbench disks. I got 2.0.5 with the bundle of disks above, but I'm wanting a set of 3.1 disks. I've had my eye out to pickup a set when I found a good price. Well - I dropped on a lot which didn't break the bank which included a full set. It also had all the other supplied disks & manuals which came with the Amiga 1200 Magic Pack (Pinball Mania etc.). Here's the parcel when it arrived:

IMG_20200527_125403.jpg

It also had a TON of other original disks and games with it - the disk box is crammed full. Zero copies / blanks included here, so all the disks in the bundle are originals ! I'll save listing them all out for the subsequent For Sale post which will be coming, but to whet your appetite from the originals which came with it, these are the ones I'm definitely keeping:

Cannon Fodder 2, Premier Manager, The Settlers, Sensible World of Soccer, Dune II, Epic & Gloom Deluxe.

There are a few in my maybe pile for keeping too - but I want to give them a whirl on my Amiga before I make my mind up on those, and then there are the games I'm happy enough to just sell straight on.

I'll obviously be keeping a hold of the Workbench 3.1 Disks and a large majority of the Magic Pack manuals and software too.

2) Eek! A mouse !

Well, both mice have now arrived. Here they are side-by-side:

IMG_20200530_150132.jpg

Don't look much different do they ? Well - that's kind of the point. So - before I make my *final* decision on which one I'm keeping, i'm 99% sure it's going to be the one with the laser. Maybe it's just from years now of using a PC mouse, but it just feels "right" when it's floating over the mouse mat. The rollerball one - definitely retro and nostalgic, but the laser is where it's at for me at the minute. It'll be a quick decision I'm sure once I've had them both wired up to the Amiga for a quick test.

3) Just finish with this darn workspace refurb already

OK - this is dragging on. It's not even that big a project so it'll feel anti-climactic I'm sure, but the key item for it is really being a pain to get a hold of. I sourced one, they couldn't deliver, I sourced another - the stock system was wrong and it was out of stock - I've now sourced *another* - due for delivery Tuesday. Let's see. I've got an update post for this near enough ready to go...

4) Joystick's, Take Two

My update on joysticks was pretty recent - essentially I've now got 2 sub-projects going on here. Zip Stik #2 & the Slip Stik. The wires and crimps arrived today, so I'm going to be wiring up the Zip Stik #2 a little later. I'm still confident this is going to turn out fine. Unfortunately the Slip Stik hit a road bump. One of the parts from the US was wrong - and they don't have the actual fire button I need. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for a broken one I think and try to make a working one from two broken ones. If anyone has a fire button for a Slip Stik lying around they don't need or want, please let me know - until I can source one the Slip Stik upgrade and repair is on hold.

5) Where's my Amiga ??

Fantastic news on this one. The inner workings of my Amiga are on their way back ! I got a couple of messages from Steve over at Amiga Passion this week. The first one was to let me know the Keyboard had ultimately needed a new membrane - but was fixed. The second was a tracking number as it's all recapped now and ready for reassembly. The tracking has it landing back with me on Tuesday 2nd June. Looks like Tuesday is going to be a busy day (well, evening - I'm at work through the day).

The 8MB Expansion Card & Kickstart 3.1 ROMs are also winging their way to me. Actively tracking those too, which are due to land next week aswell.

Super excited at this point in time !

6) Re-priotise, re-adjust, re-evaluate

OK - my initial journey back to the Amiga 1200 is nearly complete - fingers crossed. So that both any interested reader and myself know where we're at and what's next for this thread, here's a re-work of what's in hand, what's up next and what's left to do - with each likely to get a post - in no particular order:

- Reassemble the Amiga (pretty obvious this one) - including: Add 8MB Expansion card, upgrade to 3.1 Kickstart ROM's & get the IDE HDD (CF Flash) working with WHDLoad.
- Complete Zip Stik #2 internal reconstruction.
- Get an internet connection to the Amiga 1200 (PCMCIA)
- Finish my workspace upgrade
- Pull together two For Sale threads. One for Hardware, One for Software.

7) What's next, after this journey is complete ?

During the course of this project, I've had an idea for another informative post of some sort. As I've engaged with a lot of vendors here, I'm going to pull together a review post of sorts. Outlining my experiences, timeframes and quality of service/work from each. It may come in handy for others when choosing where to get products from, or it may not. It will be completely my own opinions so can be taken with a pinch of salt but I've had quite a lot of varied experiences.

Other topics I'm also toying with are; building a variable autofire switchbox, creating my own custom HDD Workbench Image, connecting a Wireless Laser printer & tinkering with getting the Techno Turbo Sound adapter into my Audio setup. Those will be new projects though, so each will get a separate post as I embark upon or complete them.

That's all for a later day though - for now, completing this first journey is my number one priority - it's nearly time for that retro gaming goodness !

So - until next time...

Best regards,
Matt.

Last edited:
Love these story type threads, is great to read and u almost feel the excitement building like its your own story and not someone elses lol

005Agima on YouTube did a very similar thing with rebuying an A500 batman pack he had as a kid and the story leading upto getting it and beyond, check it out.

I look forward to the next post when you have it back, btw Steve @ Amigapassion is great, he`s recapped and fixed a couple of CD32's for me, fantastic work and the run like new now.

Love these story type threads, is great to read and u almost feel the excitement building like its your own story and not someone elses lol

005Agima on YouTube did a very similar thing with rebuying an A500 batman pack he had as a kid and the story leading upto getting it and beyond, check it out.

I look forward to the next post when you have it back, btw Steve @ Amigapassion is great, he`s recapped and fixed a couple of CD32's for me, fantastic work and the run like new now.

Thanks for the kind words. There's a few posts in the pipeline. I have my Amiga back now and ran into a couple of obstacles, which I've just about overcome. More to come soon !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom