Full anodised aluminium front bezel for A4000 - Interest poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Stoobs!

That looks awesome!

Would the power button be in two parts? The rod makes it very expensive, and you could very well use an 7x7mm square aluminium pipe (costs approx. € 1,50 per meter). Or even print a rod with PLA as it is not visible from the outside.

Wow Stoobs!

That looks awesome!

Would the power button be in two parts? The rod makes it very expensive, and you could very well use an 7x7mm square aluminium pipe (costs approx. € 1,50 per meter). Or even print a rod with PLA as it is not visible from the outside.

Yeah, It's easy enough to split it into two parts - I'll keep the original file too in case anyone wants to print it.

Payment sent for Front + Option C (5.25" cover) + power knob (with "I O" etching :LOL:)

However nice it would be to have a solid power rod made of metal I think the prices are high enough at this point. Probably not worth to push it for something not visible. But the "I O" etching hopefully won't change much.

Big thanks to Stoobs for stepping up for the request so quick! :thumbsup2:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Stoobs!

That looks awesome!

I second this, but probably would be nice addition to make a small "stub" on the back end of the button as currently there is no good way to attach it to any rod except gluing.

@PRS do you think you could source the pipes and measure the inner dimensions? Then a nice tight fitting stub could be designed on the knob, which could be either snug enough to just hold on, or the pipe could be drilled and a small tightening screw could be fitted from the side. I would not mind paying extra for the pipe piece (say 10-15€) to compensate you for sourcing and cutting them to size (should not take that long). And I'm sure others would be more than happy to pay extra for this too.

Last edited:
I second this, but probably would be nice addition to make a small "stub" on the back end of the button as currently there is no good way to attach it to any rod except gluing.

Hmm, could probably do with being in several parts - the button, the middle, and the end which the switch inserts into - I'll mull over some options :)

4000 on/off switch

4000 on/off switch

I thought some pictures of the 3000 power switch may inspire some thoughts for the 4000 version to come
a U channel could be milled in the back of the 4000 I/O button to fixate the 3mm internal U channel
with the switch end just resting on the SW plunger

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4917.jpg
    IMG_4917.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4921.jpg
    IMG_4921.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4922.jpg
    IMG_4922.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4926.jpg
    IMG_4926.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4920.jpg
    IMG_4920.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 6
Thanks, but already done :)

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 19.49.16.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 19.49.38.png

Hi all,

I will investigate if I can order the necessary magnets as well and include them in the package. The additional costs is estimated at < € 2,- per order and if everybody will place their final order, we will be just above 20 bezels which will have a positive effect on pricing. The additional costs can be covered by that.

Hi all,

I will investigate if I can order the necessary magnets as well and include them in the package. The additional costs is estimated at < € 2,- per order and if everybody will place their final order, we will be just above 20 bezels which will have a positive effect on pricing. The additional costs can be covered by that.

Awesome! This is coming together very nicely @PRS! What about the alu pipes? They sounded cheap enough so that we could pay for your time of sourcing and cutting them, I think everyone (including myself) would happily pay say 10-15€ for the right sized pipe to have a complete solution. That should leave some room to compensate you for your help plus the warm and fuzzy feeling that we have a "total solution" :D

Looking into the best way to mount this? I know magnets are what we decided on from the begining, but does anyone have a style that fit on bothe the cover and the case to allow it to hold together?

I expect my magnets in today, I will post an update of how I attached the bezel to the chassis... For now the idea is to put 3mm diameter, 6mm length cylindrical neodymium magnets in the mounting rods. For the first run bezels, you will have to shorten the rods and drill a hole in there.
I will put/glue metal plates, cut from sheet metal (you could use a spare metal shielding of an A500/A600/A1200) on the inside of the chassis, where the magnets will attach to.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! This is coming together very nicely @PRS! What about the alu pipes? They sounded cheap enough so that we could pay for your time of sourcing and cutting them, I think everyone (including myself) would happily pay say 10-15€ for the right sized pipe to have a complete solution. That should leave some room to compensate you for your help plus the warm and fuzzy feeling that we have a "total solution" :D

I’m currently looking into that, I will have an update in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Payment sent.
I am also interested in the magnets and complete power knob solution.

Hi All,

Here is an update on my attemps to mount my front bezel using magnets. I've ordered the following magnets to test:
- 2mm diameter, 4mm length
- 3mm diameter, 6mm length
- 3mm diameter, 8mm length
- 5mm diameter, 5mm length

Having the actual magnets in hand, I've chosen the 3mm/6mm version. I have drilled 3mm holes with a dept of 5.1mm in the mounting rods and used a little metal glue to fixate the magnets and some 15x15mm sheet metal plates on the inside of the chassis.

The metal glue I used:
metaallijm.jpg
The result:

IMG-0359-min.jpg IMG-0361-min.jpg IMG-0362-min (2).jpg IMG-0363-min (2).jpg

One remark though. If you go down this road, I advise you to firstly fix the metal plates on the inside of the chassis and let it harden. Only after that, glue the magnets in the rods mount the front bezel in its place. This way, the magnets will come out a little from their holes just enough to attach to the metal plates in the chassis. In this way, all the magnets will be at exactly the right position!

Another option, pointed out to me by Amibay user Mray, is to mount magnets to the side of the rods. In this way, there is no need for the sheet metal plates on the inside of the chassis as the magnets will attach to the chassis itself. Excellent idea, too late for me though!

By the way, if you wonder, the 3½" drive and small 3½" cover below the drive are wrapped in the same aluminium look as the outer casing.

Attachments

• IMG-0362-min.jpg
    IMG-0362-min.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-0363-min.jpg
    IMG-0363-min.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi all,

Time for an update.

The frontpanel design has been adapted by Stoobs (many, many thanks!!) with the following improvements:
- Mounting rods contain a 3mm round hole, with a dept of 5.1 mm
- Cover mounting holes are fitted with M3 thread (dept 3 mm)
- He made also the drive covers, so being from one source the fit should be perfect
- The powerknob has been etched with IO
- The powerknob has an extention on the bottom that will allow mounting of a 7.5 x 7.5mm square rod, which I'm successfully using for my A4000.

The square rod will fit the powerswitch of the Amiga and it will function as normal.

I've ordered enough 3mm diameter, 6mm length magnets (holding strenght = 400g per magnet) to supply everyone. The price per bezel would come to 7 x € 0.26 + shipping € 0.32 (€ 6,50 / 20) = € 2,14
I've ordered also the aluminium square tubes (actually 7,5 x 7,5mm) to supply everyone. The price per piece would come to approx. € 1,- cut to lenght.

So the additional costs would come to ~ € 3,15. If everyone who stated their interest in the front bezels will actually take them, these costs can be covered by the reduced prices as we are over 20 for the front bezels and over 10 for most of the drive covers.

That means: No cost increase :D

Things to investigate:
- See if I can find a source for the metal plates on the inside of the chassis
- See if I can source the M3 bolds for the drive covers

What everyone themselves need to do when the aluminium parts arrive:
- Glue the magnets in place
- If I can source the metal plates: Glue the metal plates on the inside of the chassis
- If no metal plates are included: Source the metal plates and glue them on the inside of the chassis. Or... Go for the Mray option as stated in the post here above (# 117).
- Glue/fix the powerbutton to the square rod. I'm not sure if this will be necessary, as the square rod will be stationary between the powerknob and powerswitch.

That's all for now!

Last edited:
Any chance these could be offered in a different anodized colour? Or even have an option to not have them anodized to begin with so people can do it themselves? Personally I'd be interested in this anodized black.

I agree, an option for non-anodized would be nice. Probably easier that trying to coordinate different colors.
Any chance these could be offered in a different anodized colour? Or even have an option to not have them anodized to begin with so people can do it themselves? Personally I'd be interested in this anodized black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom