Retro Photography

Hey Gaz - nice link. They're actually really very good! I like the crossfade he has on the home screen. Cheers mate (y)

John

Hiya mate, yeah there's some great photos. I like the next gen vs old gen style photos.

Really nice photos there, I like the design of the site too, thanks (y)

The pics are nice, but there a lot of room for improvement. I think the creator is a starter or unadviced.

I do like some shots and the site is great.(y)

For someone who obviously thinks so highly of his photography skills, the least he could do is find the macro button.

And maybe check wikipedia, what's this "the" amiga?

some great pics in there, i took some similar ones not too long ago for the R3Play charity calendar, let me know what you think to them, my fave is the game and watch controller button close up, please bear in mind that i am not photographer or anything

http://mainvein.co.uk/rg/Site/CONSOLE.html

Just checked your ones out and actually think yours are better. Captured the machines better in general :)

John

I know it is not an easy job and long ago i tried a C64 but throwed every pic out because I did not like the composition.

Anyhow I like yours better, but noticed some points. i am not a proff fotographer - but I do every year hobby exposition for a club, and we have photographers so I have a very strict eye on technices and composition after many years of being failed at first years by jury. So i might be overstrict when it comes to that, looking to much at the image.

Here are some unselected works by several members:

http://cultcrapcollective.posterous.com/ just use the numbers below because it is all in dutch.

if you like some positive building up criticism let me know and I take time to type some stuff tomorrow.

I'll probably have a go myself soon at it. i realise it won't be perfect as well, have some headstart but it is not easy.

Ps: there is one photographer who likes minimalism on clothes if you are persistent

/Zetr0 thinks of changing the status tag of r0jaws to Ami-Nintendo-Bay fanboi

=)

These picture are top quality - worth of some nice retro-desktop-wallpaper or even some mouse-mats!

glad that you guys like the pics i took, when i get a spare hour i may do some more, see if i can get any better. My other half is much better than me, she was meant to take the pics for the calendar, i just grabbed the camera as she was busy giving breakfast for our baby.

wish i hadnt have sold the tiger r-zone, would loved to have put that on my cats head and taken a pic :D

Just checked your ones out and actually think yours are better. Captured the machines better in general :)

John

No offence, but the presentation on that site is way better. However "the essence of the machines" are better preserved in the generic picdump, the beauty of them are way better portrayed on the site the OP linked to.

But photography is one of my three major hobbies. And I work for an advertising agency, so presentation is something I value by trade.

I know what you mean about presentation and yes I agree to that but for me the actual photographs themselves (by Bobpard) are better and capture the machines better (and given your trade I would think you would agree - art is subjective but I also admit that presentation influences the subjectivity). I'm an ex Graphic Artist and was doing digital design when folk were still creating plates from film so I'm well aware how the presentation of digital media can enhance the subject no end. It's almost like a good painting becomes a great painting with the correct frame - you know?

I think a combination of Bobpard's photo's with the presentation of the OP's link would move the original post from being great to excellent.

Cheers

J

Thanks for the comments folks

Thanks for the comments folks

Found your site via some webstats on my site. Was seeing this site as a referrer and found this thread. I run the retoroconsolepics website.

Firstly thanks for all the comments. Good, bad or indifferent I enjoy reading the debate. Although I sell prints on the site I do this for fun. It doesn't make any money. Lets me marry up two interests - photography and what's now called retro consoles/video games. God I feel old!

Was interesting to see the site is Amiga focused. I'm an ex demo/games assembly coder. Worked on some commercial stuff and a lot of more techy stuff like copy protection systems, sound drivers and all. Amiga hardware was just years ahead of it's time and my work on those machines was probably the most enjoyable coding work I've ever done.

Enjoyed seeing the other photography links. Some nice pictures there. As has been mentioned, viewing these pictures is very much objective. If you want to capture a shot that conveys what the machine is like as an entire unit then that's a very different thing from making something that's just nice to look at. If you can combine both then great but more often than not you're focusing on just the key bits and saying everything else is just noise.

Anyway, I digress. Point of this was to say hello, thanks to those who commented and wish everyone the best.

Totally unrelated comment. I still have old professional cross development Amiga kit. Specifically, a Psygnosis SNASM and a prototype PDS board. Years old and around £1800 I think when I bought them. I'll probably get round to selling them on the site at some point. Think I've still got the documentation, makes for kinda interesting reading and I'd be happy to share it with anyone who wants it when I finally get round to scanning it!

Bill.

Hiyas Bill

welcome to AmiBay =D

Great to read you as ex-scene member - how small is this world at times !? =D

I have to admit I did enjoy reviewing your work, infact quite a bit, I think theres a couple of shots that would make an amazing Canvas - perhaps even a double canvas..

I cannot lie that I am drawn to both the Amiga and the Zx80 shots =D

Now, lets talk desktop wallpaper, mouse-mats and bed-sheets *hehe*

It would be soooo cool if the duvet was the keyboard out of say a Zx48k and then the bottom sheet was a print of the motherboard!!!!

HOW AWESOME!!!!!!

could do that with an A500 as well...

then for the double duvet one could look at an A4000 or even A2000 ...... sigh.... perhaps to cool for skool methinks =(

Back
Top Bottom