CD32 Special - Paravision SX-1 + Awesome

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello there my fellow AmiBayers

well its now 2am ish, just finished cleaning my living room - yes its been a nightmare after been ill for a couple of weeks lying on the sofa you get to name all the cobwebs on the ceiling... but not any more..

So its been a while since I posted a picture thread so I thought I should

the guys came over last friday night for curry and retro gaming - infact it had been over two weeks because I had the flu..

imagine that will you.... two weeks..... without cury!!! :blink:

So instead of the usual mischief this Friday was CD32 Friday AtariJay brought his ninja'd-gains from R3Play to taunt r0jaws and Yorkie4 was super excited about his comming soon CD32.... indeed it was a Cd32 fest!

now... I have two CD32's... once it my daughters (thanks to Andy's help with the PSU) and the other is my test bed for weird - likely to explode stuff...

So.... during the evening r0jaws decided... hey Zetr0 .... whats this Paravision thing doing sitting up here ?

I said well thats going over to my friend Tahoe for his collection (hopefully this week)

he then asks... does it work... I then said... donno... never tried it...

yeah.... can guess what happens next?

(click to enlarge =) )

yep, you guess it - we plumbed it up to my test-cd32

Now, this may surprise you, but R3Play tested a lot of metal in my house - and claimed the lives of

Rest In Peace

• my EPROM programmer PSU
    my UV Erase Lamp
    12 Harddisk (Various SCSI, IDE, 2.5" and 3.5")
    2 CF cards
    1 Wintel PC
    2 PCI SCSI Cards
    1 mATX Power Supply
    USB to IDE adapter

And my nerves

and I am sure thats only about half it - anyway - this leaves me with only a few devices usable that have an Amiga OS that can be used.

Now, I didin't think it would work but we tried out a 512MB CF card - the reason I didn't think it would is because it has ClassicWorkbench OS3.9 on it.

well... we had no other way so we just powered up to see

(click to enlarge =) )

you will never guess what happend

(click to enlarge =) )

It damn well booted!!! and quick too!!!

no word of a lie - ClassicWorkbench 3.9 on a CD32 with 2MB chip 8MB Fast

After booting I was left with 1.87MB CHIP and 5.76MB FAST

I was stunned - not gonna lie - still am! since the CF card had only the basic of installs (just the OS) it was time to try somthing else.

So we plumbed in an 8GB Segate MicroDrive (SFS'd all the way two partitions 1GB and 6.2GB) - and the unit fired up quicker than before I was completely shocked at the speed and usablilty of the setup - for a basic 020 with fast - it was very impressive.

*my hats of to bloodwych for making such a great install!*

so knowing that iGame would take too much precious Fast RAM, we just plundered a directory from the big partition and decided to lay dowm some classic

(click to enlarge =) )

Now, we also played Super StarDust - which I have found that if there is a problem with the geometry / install of the hardisk this game will show that up.

It ran perfectly... infact I can almost see the allure of SX-1 and its others, but this SX one will be on its way to Tahoe soon

I am glad I can say - it works a charm.. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, we also played Super StarDust - which I have found that if there is a problem with the geometry / install of the hardisk this game will show that up.

What is the problem that show up? I have issues on my a1200 running it with strange graphical glitches. (It did it on a DKB Cobra, and on my Apollo 1240, but didn't do it on my Blizzard 1230 Mk IV.)

Later,
dabone

It was a bit of a surprise wasn't it! :)
I was almost tempted to get one myself, there is one for sale on the other bay at the moment, but frankly, look at the size of that expansion!!
I mean, it's not exactly subtle is it...Awesome, but not subtle. :D

Sorry buddy, just had to change your spelling of taunt, it was flicking my OCD monkey in the nuts every time I looked at it...

Nice one big Zee, I remember seeing that little fella when I came for Curry :whistle:

Glad it works, Tahoe will be very pleased (y)

Steve.

Classic Workbench 3.9 = OS3.9?

And, this does this mean that 3.9 can be used on an A1200 with merely a memory expansion card?

And, this does this mean that 3.9 can be used on an A1200 with merely a memory expansion card?

Yes you can (y)

Its a little slow and more of a Memory hog but there are quite a few people using it, of course you need either a CDROM to install it or do the work in WinUAE.

Steve.

I've tried 3.9 on a A1200 with 10mb ram and while it works okay I think you really need 16mb+ and a 030 for 3.9 as it dosen't leave much fast ram to play about with once it loads up.

For a 020 machine I think it's best to install http://classicwb.abime.net/

Great stuff, Zetr0! I'd really like to get some type of expansion for my CD32 but I just can't justify one since I have a 1200 and 4000 for my main systems. Sounds like you guys had a very good time. I'm jealous that I don't have anyone local to do retro hackery with. :)

And most important, I'm glad you are finally feeling better! :woot:

Heather

This looks great Keith! thanks for the pics :)

When I saw your CD32 running with iGame at R3play it inspired me to get a CD32 (which I will buy end of month) and set it up as a WHDLoad machine. Of course i'd need some kind of fast ram/accelerator to run it nice, but what i'd like is ultimate compatibility. I've been put off by the size of ths SX-1, but when you say it works with Super Stardust (My fave Miggy game) without glitches I get a bit excited! Would you say that the SX-1 is maybe a better solution (as far as Game compatibility goes) than the SX 32?

Last edited:
Nice one big Zee, I remember seeing that little fella when I came for Curry :whistle:

Glad it works, Tahoe will be very pleased (y)

Steve.
:ROTFLOL2::ROTFLOL2::ROTFLOL2:
That one deserves to go to the 2010 quote contest!(y)

Back
Top Bottom