Blogger
Rating - 100%
1041   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi there!

I bought a Speccy 128 (toast rack) and thought I had a spare PSU to fit but don't :(

So I grabbed one from ebay (untested) and as usual that meant faulty...

So I still need one, anyone have one to sell me? :whistle:

The PSU from 48k is not powerful enough so it must be from 128k or the grey +2...

Cheers me peeps (y)

Steve.

For you to test the machine, best thing you can do is to use the wire and connector from the faulty psu and wire it to an ATX psu on the +12v.
This will give you a stable source at lest for testing the 128k+. For starting the ATX just put a wire between the green and a black on the atx connector.

Be carefull to check the polarity, on the spectrum the positive is outside negative inside (centre polarity = -ve).

This site sell NOS +2 psu's witch are perfect for the 128k+ (they give 2.1amps 12v) LINK, search in Dataserve shop/ Sinclair sales/+2, +2A, +2b spares.

Hope this helps.

hehehehhe I got one
if I get chance I`ll test it later today

thanks for the info Pedro so +ve is on the outside

by the way its 9v @ 2.1amps

hehehehhe I got one
if I get chance I`ll test it later today

thanks for the info Pedro so +ve is on the outside

by the way its 9v @ 2.1amps

No, psu outputs 12v @ 2.1 amps, the IC 7805 requires the input to be 12v and then regulates to +5v on 48K, 48k+ , 128k+ and 128k +2.

Thanks froggy, remember the 48k one will not be any good.

I did however sell a bunch of old speccy stuff and the buyer said send him my broken PSU and he'd look at it so maybe he can fix that one for me, however nice to have options :)

Cheers!

Steve.

Funny that a (LM)7805 (and all the 78xx family, on this matter) can only deliver up to 1A!

Please keep looking in the meantime.

However I think I may have a spare +2 PSU lying around in the loft - I recall seeing it in recent years.

I will venture up there when I finish work this week on Thurs but I think it may be deep in [very organised] boxes somewhere.

If I find it, postage cost only as I know you would give it a good home :)

@BrooksterMax

Thats very kind of you - thanks (y)

Steve.

all I did was read the lable on the bottom of the power pack which gose something like

Sinclair 128k spectrum +2 power supply blah blah blah

mains supply 220-240V @ 50Hz
DC output 9v @ 2.1Amps

haven`t had chance to mesure it but I bet it gives out more than 9V

bloody froggie flu hope it gose for the weekend or it be anothe xmas spent in bed

edit

Just measured it and its 12.5 V

Last edited:
Good news -first no more work :) hols

So went in the loft just now to get some retro goodness for the hols. Anyway I found that spare +2 9v 2.1A PSU and have it down here. I need to try find a multimeter now to see what if any juice comes out.

It is very heavy for such a small thing, will let you know if it is working shortly :)

I love holidays and I love retro gear! :cool:

EDIT - bonus found my multimeter again, and the PSU is pumping out the volts. I can post after Xmas - I think the 29th is the first working day for Post Offices again. PM me your details.

Good news -first no more work :) hols

So went in the loft just now to get some retro goodness for the hols. Anyway I found that spare +2 9v 2.1A PSU and have it down here. I need to try find a multimeter now to see what if any juice comes out.

It is very heavy for such a small thing, will let you know if it is working shortly :)

I love holidays and I love retro gear! :cool:

EDIT - bonus found my multimeter again, and the PSU is pumping out the volts. I can post after Xmas - I think the 29th is the first working day for Post Offices again. PM me your details.

Thanks thats great news and also off work now :D

Lots of Retr0 fun to be had this year!

PM on the way (y)

BrooksterMax what voltage are you getting ?? 9v or 12v ??

personally I`m inclined to believe JLPedro

Cosmicfrog The label on the PSU is stating what the voltage will be when it is supplying a current of 2.1amps.
These Spectrum PSU are unregulated so the voltage will vary depending on the load applied. Try taking another reading with the PSU powering the computer. I have, with a grey +2, unloaded it read 12.8v, connected to the +2 with a DivIDE running a program playing AY music and a tape playing in the datarecored the voltage read 10.5v.

John

BrooksterMax what voltage are you getting ?? 9v or 12v ??

personally I`m inclined to believe JLPedro
]

Good Q, I quoted the PSU rating but just checked the thing was actually working didn't take the time to check the actual voltage output - but I'm satisfied its not a dud :)

yep thats basicaly what I suspected but I had to ask for fitzsteves benafit

Now I am confused, it dos`t take much

BrooksterMax

BrooksterMax
Good Q, I quoted the PSU rating but just checked the thing was actually working didn't take the time to check the actual voltage output - but I'm satisfied its not a dud

unless u mesured the amps of course .... hehehhe happy xmas ribbits iether way :D

PSU arrived from BrooksterMax, thanks for that and feedback left (y)

However adapter does not fit my 128k :(

Cosmic, how big is the end on your 128k PSU? This one is pretty large but the other I had was smaller and fits ok :coffee:

Steve.

Is he PSU a +2 one? It should fit the 128K+ nicelly...
One option is to cut the ending of the faulty psy and sold the wires on the new one, just make sure +ve is outside.

Is he PSU a +2 one? It should fit the 128K+ nicelly...
One option is to cut the ending of the faulty psy and sold the wires on the new one, just make sure +ve is outside.

Yeah its stange, maybe non standard connector?

I just posted my faulty PSU off with the Speccy stuff I sold so no spare ends at the moment but the buyer said he'd try and fix it for me so hopefully not too much longer before I know if this 128k works or not :coffee:

Steve.

been curled up in bed last few days

have no real way to tell you the size of the adapter
all being well though I`ll send it out on monday, I`ll force myself to get up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom