Phipscube's BVision Repair..

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
Hi folks!

I've been busy the last few days trying to make one good BVision out of two poorly ones. Beware hardcore hardware pr0n alert! :cool: Here are a few pics to show what I did...

10012011774.JPG

Here are the two units, the one to the left is my DOA evilbay jobbie, the one to the right is the known working unit I got from Keith in the hopes of being able to transplant the miniPCI connector over...

10012011775.JPG

As you can see, its not pretty!

10012011776.JPG

Looking through my works 2x zoom lens I clean up the pins.

10012011777.JPG

This is the connector I have to take off... how on earth shall I do it?! ....

10012011788.JPG

Heatgun the sucker! I applied 350 Deg C temps on low airflow for 15 seconds to the other side of the board and......

10012011789.JPG

PLOP! It fell clean off. Not recommended on a working BVision folks!

10012011790.JPG

Cleaning up the pins.

10012011791.JPG

OOH! I noticed something else... a missing cap!

10012011792.JPG

So swiped one off the duff BV :)

10012011793.JPG

Using my bare peeled eyes only to line up the connector on the working board.

10012011794.JPG

Cripes, there is a lot of work to do here...

11012011795.JPG

A quick shot of my humble gear before I get down to the dirty work.

11012011796.JPG

I'm on my way, its not too bad actually! Using 0.2mm solder + tip.

11012011799.JPG

All pins done, now to tackle the broken tracks...

11012011803.JPG

Hmm.. its a bit of a cludge, but I used some small pieces of bent wire. It was a tad fiddly getting a good joint on the old points so took a bit of time fiddling with the tweezers and solder. I got there in the end even if its a little lumply.

11012011804.JPG

Soldering done! Now to laquer....

11012011805.JPG

Masked chip tops and connectors ready for spraying.

11012011806.JPG

The underside.

11012011807.JPG

DING! Good as new! .... but does she work..... ?!

11012011808.JPG

HELL YEAH!!! WOOOO!! Super happy chappie! :D

I just want to thank Keith for helping me out with the spare BV he had kicking around, cheers mate :) and Steve for spending his time totally verifying my old one was indeed a duffer... ta bud! :)

Last edited:
F**K Yeah!!!!

Awesome :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Sooooo pleased for you mate (y)

And thanks for the late night pr0n show, well worth staying up for :D

Not much to say except that...

YOU ARE THE AMBASSADOR OF THE KWAN man!
Outstanding piece of work that most of times leads to headbanging on the wall.

That was indeed a nice piece of artwork pr0n just before I go to bed.

@Phips

I am both very humbled and joyous of the work you have done on this...

Congratulations my friend... and those words don't cover it..

This will make you PPC project all that more awesome and I couldn't be happier than that!

Fantastic stuff my friend, I am really REALLY pleased =)

That is some very nice work there indeed chap. Awesome! :D

Wow, I wish I had your patience - this would have been a "send away" job for me.

Oh, and wonderful work setup you have there - a true Amiga guru mod centre - my hat off to you sir.

Really nice and clean work! (y)
Congratulations.
Microscope or magnifying glass + A LOT of patience are the best tools - I agree.

Real nice job. I trully enjoyed the closeups. Simply, outstanding!!! (y)

That is some serious level 3+ hackery and soldering skills there, Phipscube - very well done!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Cheers for the praise guys, I must say I didn't know if I could manage it. I certainly took my time and made sure each joint was good after i'd finished so when I took it home and fired up I was extatic! I am always very negative when i've done a job, like i'm SURE it will break this time, then I get all surprised.

Anyway glad the pr0n was enjoyed by all :)

HAHA! Yeah, i'll never live the dancing outburst down, no matter what I do, I can't better that :D Just wait until next R3play and i'll bust a few more drunken dance moves :D And as long as I have had at LEAST 4 pints i'll deffo do a little jig to some of DJ Echos Choonz in the R3play hall.... and then hide somewhere HAHA!

Hey Mate,

I'm sure you will, but I just fitted a little VGA Heatsink/Fan to the Permedia chip.

Before after a session it was too hot to touch, but with this little Fan even after a Quake 2 session its cool to touch, amazing.

And this was with the Floppy in place and Desktop Case closed :)

Have fun with that little fella!

Steve.

Hiya Steve

Aye mate, I have a very nice heat sink to put on the Permedia chip and the one across from the VGA connector. I also have a set of DDR RAM sinks but I realise I wont be able to fit them as the clockport expander is in the way :( Those RAM chips also get a little bit hot too, I'm hoping that the way i've positioned the three case fans will be enough to keep it all cool. Thermal tests will follow the hardware setup. I want to determine if I can actually be cheeky enough to reduce the fan speeds as they are a tad noisy. Of course only if I get cool enough temp will I attempt to slow them down. Noise is a small price to pay for such a beast! :)

Hey Mate,

I'm sure you will, but I just fitted a little VGA Heatsink/Fan to the Permedia chip.

Before after a session it was too hot to touch, but with this little Fan even after a Quake 2 session its cool to touch, amazing.

And this was with the Floppy in place and Desktop Case closed :)

Have fun with that little fella!

Steve.

Yep, thats when you know mines got some grunt under the hood when the fan kicks in! Before that you just think its a normal A1200!

The Chipset Fan I got is pretty much silent, so thats nice and I'll prob's get some VGA heatsinks on the Ram chips and the Chip in the bottom right of the card.

My BPPC fan is pretty loud tho, Stachu is sending me a brand new fan to replace it with so hopefully soon I shall have a pretty quiet setup.

Seeing your project burst back into life makes me want to get USB in there though!

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom