PDA

View Full Version : Review: Prometheous

Justin
2nd February 2011, 08:25
Good morning all:)

ok 1st a disclaimer,

@mjnourney - don't take this the wrong way, i am VERY happy with what i bought from you.

now then, yesterday my Prometheous arrived complete with a voodoo3 and network card along with a couple of pci extenders.

You know when you haven't seen something before and you have an idea in your head with what you're expecting and what the product actually turns out to be are completely different? bear in mind that the Prometheous sold for about 200 when new.

(adjusted to todays rates that would be just short of <snip>...a PS3?... <snip>) well for that you get a leaflet, the board itself, a driver cd and some brackets. well i lolled last night to the point that i had tears in my eyes! it was sooo funny i had to call Keithy Weefy Woo Woo (Zetr0) to share this moment (he lolled as well)

The card sits in a zorro slot giving you 4 pci slots, when you put a card into the pci slot the back plane of the card is approx 4" away from the back of the case! there is a small thin tin bracket that screws the the edge of the card which then extends perfectly to the back of the case and screws to the cases back panel (where your cards screw to the back panel) now this bracket apart from being razor sharp is exactly the right length for a case.

Next is a 3 sided bracket that screws to the Promethous and gives you a back plane support on the card itself and this is where your PCI cards attach, remember these attach 4" away from the actual case so you have to either extend the ports to some blanking plates, create a riser to move the Prometheous 4" closer to the back of the case (also worth noting that the PCI cards sit at 90 degrees to the back plane so you'd have to invert your pci cage) or push your connections through the PCI cage inside the case and attach that way.

I thought it was funny that when they designed this they got the support braket exectly right to the back of the case, so they knew the correct size, but still chose to design the card to be 4" short of the case. in short the card does not fit in a tower, it hits the floppy drive cage in a 4000T and is too tall for a 4000D, smart design huh!

Anyhoo, i installed the cards, then the Promethous drivers, then P96, ran the prefs and attached the voodoo3 to a screen and blow me in about 4 mins the thing worked! 800 x 600 24bit workbench straight off with no messing about.

Next i installed the network card drivers and hey presto that worked too!!

in summary, amazing card, i mean the thing just works! but the actually design sucks the big one:lol:

i'll update this with pictures this evening (i hope i have some time tonight)

cheers, JuvUK

Zetr0
2nd February 2011, 08:37
Pics or it didn't happen

the House of Woo demands it =)

merlinkv
2nd February 2011, 09:05
@JuvUK

Hi m8.

Do you know if Radeon boards works on Prometheus?

Thanks

fitzsteve
2nd February 2011, 09:11
Hey Juvvy,

I'm glad it all worked for ya first time :thumbsup:

Let the evil spell I cast over you now be lifted :whistle:

Seems to be a few strange designs out there with Amiga items...

Have fun & pics :readit:

Steve.

AndyLandy
2nd February 2011, 09:13
Ahh yes, the Prometheus. I have one of those. It looks a fantastic piece of kit apart from that glaring oversight that it doesn't actually fit properly in anything! Mine was shipped with a bunch of PCI-slot extension cables just to work around this problem.

Justin
2nd February 2011, 09:16
nope sorry m8y it's voodoo only:(

i have the PCI extension cables as well, far too short to bridge the 4" gap though:lol:

thanks Steve, your curse was a good one:p

merlinkv
2nd February 2011, 10:01
@JuvUK

OK m8.

Ah! Don't forget to send pics & my congrats for the new stuff :thumbsup:

Thanks & Best wishes

fitzsteve
2nd February 2011, 10:06
@Juvster

It would be interesting to know how GLQuake runs in Warp3D in your setup - do you have the A3640?

I can sort you out with the files if you need them ;)

Steve.

Justin
2nd February 2011, 10:25
@Juvster

It would be interesting to know how GLQuake runs in Warp3D in your setup - do you have the A3640?

Steve.

yo Stevey baby.

i have some modding to do (got to get over this 4" gap thing 1st) pictures tonight should show you the problem.

when the hardware side is sorted i'll start on the software.

yes i have an A3640, which is being sent away very soon for some work, once that's done i'll try out the Quake thing:thumbsup:

thanks m8y, JuvUK

fitzsteve
2nd February 2011, 10:27
@Juvster

Steve.

yo Stevey baby.

i have some modding to do (got to get over this 4" gap thing 1st) pictures tonight should show you the problem.

yes i have an A3640, which is being sent away very soon for some work, once that's done i'll try out the Quake thing:thumbsup:

thanks m8y, JuvUK

Yo Juvvy Juvinho...

Awesome stuff, look forward to the updates.

Are you getting the Rev3.2 Upgrade and going 33mhz?

Did you see the work d0pefish done on mine?

He's done a cracking job :bowdown:

Steve.

Justin
2nd February 2011, 10:32
indeed i did
and indeed i am:D

@Juvster

Steve.

yo Stevey baby.

thanks m8y, JuvUK

Yo Juvvy Juvinho...

Awesome stuff, look forward to the updates.

Are you getting the Rev3.2 Upgrade and going 33mhz?

Did you see the work d0pefish done on mine?

He's done a cracking job :bowdown:

Steve.

Justin
2nd February 2011, 18:10
as promised piccies!

please remember this is just chucked together, i hope to fit it all properly this weekend

johnim
2nd February 2011, 18:38
hi juv that is a bad fitting how dare them design it like that nice you got it going first time tho

mjnurney
2nd February 2011, 18:57
Hi Juv

lol yep the design sucks big time but it all works but boy its messy. I had intended to at some point to make an A4000 tower and use that setup but id never get around to it !

You would think that they would of made the pci line up with the tower case better :roll:

anyway have fun :-)

Justin
2nd February 2011, 20:02
another little update after a tidy up:) and look network activity lights:cool:

and a request, does anyone have or can make or know where to get an ethernet extender? as you can see i don't want to extend it far, something i can mount to a blanking plate

AndyLandy
2nd February 2011, 20:08

and a request, does anyone have or can make or know where to get an ethernet extender? as you can see i don't want to extend it far, something i can mount to a blanking plate

You can probably crimp your own. Pick up some Cat-5, an RJ-45 plug and socket and wedge 'em all together. Assuming you have an Ethernet crimp tool.

If all else fails, I can probably get the bits and make it for you for cost of parts and P&P.

Justin
2nd February 2011, 20:12
well i don't have a crimping tool, so i may take you up on your kind offer:)

You can probably crimp your own. Pick up some Cat-5, an RJ-45 plug and socket and wedge 'em all together. Assuming you have an Ethernet crimp tool.

If all else fails, I can probably get the bits and make it for you for cost of parts and P&P.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

hi juv that is a bad fitting how dare them design it like that nice you got it going first time tho

yo bro! i know shocking isn't it!

Zetr0
3rd February 2011, 21:18
Awesome

The house of Woo is pleased!

Justin
4th February 2011, 19:41
lastest update, look what my good friend GazCBM has made me:)

just stuff the back plane to it and that's the Prometheus all tidy:D

Kin Hell
5th February 2011, 08:35
Nice one! :thumbsup:

How you liking the A4K now bud?

Charlie

Justin
5th February 2011, 08:37
Nice one! :thumbsup:

How you liking the A4K now bud?

Charlie

lol, a good question m8, uummmm, the prometheus did spark some interest again, but now that's done the interest is waining somewhat;)

johnim
5th February 2011, 17:33
hi juv i dont know if this is any use to you but found this
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36074

Justin
5th February 2011, 17:39
hi juv i dont know if this is any use to you but found this
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36074

i did read that m8y, he did a hell of a job didn't he! but he's using a real A4000T, the lucky so and so:)

Phipscube
5th February 2011, 21:15
What a mental piece of hardware! Looks like a great deal of fun mate :) I sense you getting lured into the Amiga hardware again by that nasty bug that tends to bite and not let go :thumbsdown: ;) :bounceBoingBall:

Justin
11th February 2011, 20:02
last update as now everything is where it should be and everything works!

thanks for all the help guys:thumbsup:

fitzsteve
11th February 2011, 20:09
Lookin' good mate :thumbsup:

Zetr0
12th February 2011, 09:45
The House of Woo is pleased once more =)

I would be interested to see what Sysinfo would make of the hard-disk speed =)

Justin
12th February 2011, 20:30
remember i said last update? well it appears i lied:p

the back plane now it's been extended and i added some leds for the network card

and finally, the case is back on:thumbsup:

once again thankyou to everybody for your help with this, and yes i know, i need to clean the case:blink:

yours gratefully, JuvUK

fitzsteve
12th February 2011, 20:33
Hey, you'd never know there was a badly designed busboard in there! Well done mate :thumbsup:

Justin
12th February 2011, 20:37
Hey, you'd never know there was a badly designed busboard in there! Well done mate :thumbsup:

lol, ssshhhhh, you can't see it so it didn't happen:lol:, head in sand moment

Zetr0
13th February 2011, 23:28
I like awesome and this thread has a lot of it!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3UFk5biBJAaGuHZoj8ufIVvPKjxdgxfPRMis6kGmTPUuUIHqa7w

cosmicfrog
15th February 2011, 10:35
so thats what its sposed to look like with the side on ;)

well done m8 :thumbsup:

Justin
15th February 2011, 11:55
so thats what its sposed to look like with the side on ;)

well done m8 :thumbsup:

eh? the A4K or the Stig?
:p

Justin
17th February 2011, 19:21
well i thought i should update again for a few reasons

1st to tie in these threads

http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=13324
thanks to jvdbossc (http://amibay.com/member.php?u=1655) who very kindly send me this VGA back panel which holds the voodoo 3 in place

http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=13561
proof to these mega helpful guys that gave me ideas to get the network running

2nd because i know "pics or it didn't happen"

:thumbsup:

gazcbm
17th February 2011, 21:25
Look at em fly across!