Cables and Monitor questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ex2000

Banned
Country
Toronto, Canada
I am sorting Amiga 2000 stuff for sale. The 1084 monitor powers up but there is no demanding hand i.e. no picture. Do I toss the monitor?

Re: Cables and Monitor questions?

@ex2000

hello there,

A BIG welcome to AmiBay, I do hope you find what you are looking for here.

now the problem you describe could be either the A2000 (being that old) or the Monitor as you suspect.

The way to test this would be to use another composite input source for the monitor, somthing like VHS player or something like that.
should that there be a video signal then its likely the A2000 might well need a closer inspection and perhaps some repair / maintenance.

what ever happens, good luck with this and please let us know how you get one :)

Oh, and never, ever, toss away Amiga gear!

Those 1084 monitors are rock solid, but since they are aging, they develop a few problems:

- Burned Fly-back transformer. Easy to spot: the monitor will buzz or start sparking;

- Electrolytic capacitor near the flyback is busted: same as above, but high voltage present on the tube.

Thank you for prompt replies. I am impressed & that they come from so far away. I will ask around to see who may be able to loan me another composite monitor. THe CPU powers up OK.

'Cables' is in the title becuase Iwanted to ask what 2 cables were for but couldn't find out how to include a picture. Anyway I think they belong to the genlock.

I didn't understand ( second listed reply) what might be blown or whether it would be possible to fix/replace.

Both the flyback and the capacitor are easy to find and replace.

Open the monitor if you are electronic skilled and replace both. For the flyback code, first we must know the manufacturer of the monitor: Philips or Daewoo.

For more information about it, check this site.

Firstly I appreciated the 'Big Welcome' and forgot to say thank you.

From the site that you provided, I assume this is a Phillips monitor as it is a straight 1084, no 1084s etc. Also it was made in Taiwan.

If the parts are easily obtainable I would be willing to install them. Do you know where they may be obtained?

My main aim is to sell my Amiga 'stuff'. I suppose it would better to have a working monitor. On the otherhand if it will not make much difference to the price I would prefer to leave that job to someone else.

@ex2000

Can I ask you to follow this link & have a good read, It will explain our policy at AmiBay regarding valuations and hopefully give you some ideas how you can assess the value of your items.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1101

Many Thanks

TC :mrgreen:

Thanks TheCorfiot. I did not see that post when I was trying to reading the rules. :oops:

Please close this query as I have decided to list the A2000 and monitor 'as is' on ebay.

Many thanks to those who replied

OK, sir. As you wish.

Too bad you don't want to play with that A2000. It is certainly a stupendous machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom