jvdw007

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Guys,

I've just purchased a C64C which I'm going to connect to my midi keyboard using the MSSIAH cart, as I'm into making chip tunes and am keen to do some on real C64 hardware now. The problem is I want to be able to easily store/transfer files to/from the C64 to my PC. I want to know if anyone knows what I can use that obviously has a pass-through on the cart slot, or allows a storage device on another connection?
I'm not very good at electronics so would prefer something that isn't too expensive, but is also ready-built.
I heard about the SD2IEC board which seems ideal, but I have no idea how it connects to the C64.

My main aim is simply: Use the C64 and MSSIAH to make music, then be able to save and transfer said files to PC.

Thanks,
Jaco

There are cartridge expanders that allow more than one cart to be connected at once, provided there are no hardware conflicts, but I couldn't tell you whether CF adapters and whatnot would work with the MSSIAH. The other alternative is to get a C= 1581 3.5" floppy drive, as that doesn't use the incompatible encoding of Commodore's 5.25" drives, and thus can transfer files to and from a PC floppy disk (and conversely, 1581 disks can be read on a PC.)

SDIEC....connects to the C64 same was a disk drive does, through the drive(serial) port, operates the same way...can be assigned any device # (8-30), and the cards can be read on the pc (uses fat/fat32)

with an SDIEC and CBM Command you also do not need anything else for transferring D64/D81s to disk

only way to go if you need to swap files back and forth from the 64 and the PC

Thanks a million, commodorejohn and SaviorX. Both of those seem ideal. I'm leaning towards the SD2IEC as that really will be the cream of the crop. Problem is, I'm not a fundi with soldering and whatnot.

Anyone here selling ready-to-use versions of the SD2IEC?
I see http://www.nkcelectronics.com/sd2iec-boar2.html?gclid=CIuvu6P9-6kCFVRTfAod0lLjbA sell the board but where/what type of cable do I then need to plug it into the serial drive port?

Thanks again SaviorX. What a champ (y)

I've ordered those now, so hope I put it in the right way :oops:

Any internal installation recommendations?

I prefer the uiec/SD as external.. (its inside a custom mini case ) BTW Jim is planning to redesign it , possibly with dual iec ports

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom