Not open for further replies.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i recently purchased this A4000d from PhilipMcD. Its an A4000/030 however philip sent an A3640 with it. The machine works fine with the 030 cpu but when i attach the a3640 i can only get a yellow screen and the machine keeps rebooting.
Below is a picture of a Rev3.0 board taken from the BBOAH and the circled cap highlighted is not present on the card i have. Could this be the problem?

3406222285_9cd3cf7ece_o.jpg

Thanks all

Mike

Re: A4000D & A3640 CPU

I can't say if that's the problem, as there are different revisions of the card. And one of the differences between the revisions not only version of chips, but also caps.

But - let's start with the obvious, when you swap between the 030 and the 040, do you remember to change the clock source jumpers on the motherboard?

It's supposed to be two of them.

The 030 card uses the clock crystal on the amiga 4000 mb, while the 040 card has it's own clock crystal.

See if it's set correctly, and if it helps.

@arnljot, i think you may just have solved it.
Its my first experience with an A4000 and i've been playing around all day with it.
I did notice the two jumpers and did swap the J104 CPU Clock Source but that didn't fix it.
However i have now just swapped both the J100 90 Clock Source & J104 CPU Clock Source and the 040 kicked in straight away.

Thanks again

Mike

@ss

Mike, Firstly congrats on the A4000, superb machine.

Now a little info regarding the "missing" cap on your A3640

As Commodore did with the CD32, there are also some errors on the silk screen printing on some A3640's, Mine being one of them.
It involves C105,106 & 107, your C106 of course is currently missing.

On some boards the silk screening is incorrect and display's incorrect polarity of those three capacitors, you are probably aware that the negative terminal on these SMD capacitors is shown by the Black edge on the top.

You need to use a Multimeter on continuity test mode & probe for continuity between the Metal case of the Oscillator (0V) & the missing capacitor's PCB terminal pads, when continuity is obtained that will identify the "true" 0V or gnd and clarifies which way round the replacement cap is to be soldered in.

I've recently replaced the Cap's on my A3640 which has improved stability as they were all the wrong way round, this can shorten the life of the card by causing the caps to leak acid onto the PCB.

I have some spare suitable capacitors left over & you are welcome to one, If on the other hand you find the above too daunting then for the cost of postage back & forth to me, I'm happy to check the board and replace the Capacitors as required for you F.O.C. :D

Let me Know If I can help my friend

TC :mrgreen:

Glad you got it working Mike.

Interestingly I actually downgraded from this card from fear of the 3.0 issues!

If you don't use Zorro much I guess it wouldn't be as much of a problem though.

Hi guys, i've been playing around all night using Amiga forever & a CF card trying to get my ClassicWB setup over to the 4000. Unfortunately something seems to be going wrong somewhere. The setup is a direct copy of my A1200 system (which ran a Microbotics 1230XA 030) copied onto another CF card. The new cloned CF works fine on my A1200 and aso in Amiga Forever however when i attach it to the A4000 it just keeps telling me that Workbench is not validated or Workbench has a checksum error.
Also, i boot from the 3.1 Install Foppy and use HDToolbox to delete all partitions and make new one's (using a 4gb Cf split into 2x2gb partitions), it tells me its going to destroy all data which i confirm then it wants to reboot the machine i do and when it starts back up, all files are still present on the HDD and the partitions are untouched.
I thought it might have been because of the 040 being unstable so returnd to the 030 cpu but i still get the same problems.

@TC,

I read something about the caps being backwards and to be honest my soldering skills are pretty much non existant and i don't have a multimeter.
So if your sure you wouldn't mind checking them out for me that would be brilliant.
If you could pm me your address deets i will get it posted off to you and then when your finished iif you pm me and let me know we'll sort out sending it back to me.

Thanks guys

Mike

If you are using the CF card I gave you to do this, then I thought you should know I set up SFS file system on it before installing AmigaSYS.

Not sure if it would make a difference...

Hi Philip, the CF card you gave still has the AmigaSYS setup on and seems to work fine.
I just cant get ClassicWB to work lol

Mike

Happy to Help Mike

I'll PM you later, got a bit on at the moment

I always find it much easier to pull the actual HDD from the real Amiga, connect it up to the PC, then access it via WinUAE to setup Workbench. It makes life so much easier being able to copy files directly from the PC onto the drive and get everything working as you wish. Then just take the drive out of the PC and pop it back into the Amiga. Job done. It also allows you to make a complete backup of the Amiga HDD onto the PC for safe keeping.

@Harrison

I did that for the first time recently. It worked like a charm! So much simpler than dealing with floppies and the speed was much better. I also made a backup of the OS so I can bring it back to that point if I need to.

Thanks!

Heather

@Guy's & Gal's

It does work like a charm & Proves how much more WinUAE is than just an emulator.

Don't forget the golden Rule though,
If you are using storage devices 4GB or larger, ensure that when you add the Hard drive to add it to IDE0 NOT UAE in the pull down menu.
Also ensure that you have compatibility settings ticked & your correct Model setup in your configuration file.

This allows TRUE emulation of your Amiga including limitations & all, scsi.device is used NOT uaehf.device.
This is especially usefull for proving your softkicked KS3.9 is fully functioning, HDToolbox (OS3.9 BB2) will actually report the real 40GB HD or whatever it is, & of course 8GB or even SFS partitions are proved fully functional before you move the HD back to the Amiga.

Hope it helps

Yes, you are allowed to make some things easier win WinUAE but don't you dare use it as a substitute of a THE real Amy! :mrgreen:

Hi guys, as i said above, i was playing around all night using Amiga forever & a CF card trying to get my ClassicWB setup over to the 4000. I took the CF out of my A1200, plugged it into the PC using a USB card reader and used winuae to make a copy of the CF to an HDF. I then popped that CF back into the 1200 and it carried on as normal. I then put a new CF into the PC USB and copied the contents of HDF back to the new CF. I then tested it worked on the A1200 and it boots and is a direct clone of the original. However when i put that CF into the A4000 it just tells me workbench is not validated or workbench has a checksum error (switches between the two messages on boot up). I can then take the CF out again and it will work perfectly again in the A1200.
The other strange thing i find is that even when i boot from a 3.1 install floppy on the Amiga 4000 and try to setup partitions (i've tried this on 2 CF cards, a 2Gb card and a 4Gb Card) as soon as i set up the partitions and reboot in order to format them and install workbench, upon reboot all files are still present on the CF and the partitions appear to be untouched.
However the 512mb CF that Philip sent with the machine has AmigaSYS installed and boots perfectly and works fine.

Mike

Don't forget that the A1200 and A4000 installations of Workbench are slightly different. The A4000 needs one extra library due to a file being missing from the A4000 version of the kickstart rom.

Hi Harrison, i wasn't aware that an A4000 required more libs but i am using ClassicWB so i'd have assumed all libs required were present.
What extra lib is required?

Mike

Harrison said:
Don't forget that the A1200 and A4000 installations of Workbench are slightly different. The A4000 needs one extra library due to a file being missing from the A4000 version of the kickstart rom.

This is not true i'm afraid. The A4000D uses the std WB3.1 package so Mike you are not missing anything.

The A4000T due to it's onboard SCSI controller has a differnt KS version to the Desktop 4000 in that the kickstart includes the device driver for the onboard SCSI in order to allow booting from SCSI HD's.
Unfortunately due to the limited size of the ROM (512K) the workbench.library had to be omitted from the Kickstart ROM and this is the library that needs to be loaded from HD or floppy.

Mike to confirm this, open a shell window & type "version workbench.library" and a version number should be returned confirming all is well.
Your kickstart version for the A4000D should be V40.68

Just to test, you could try setting up an single 256mb partition at the A4k end, then drag all the original (freshly downloaded) ClassicWB files at the WinUAE end over to the new partition.

You can then setup ClassicWB as normal on the A4K with workbench disks to see if that works.

I have definitely had ClassicWB working on it before! And I used a setup scheme like the way I just described.

@TC, tried what you said and it does in deed come out with V40.68.

@Philip, i'm still struggling with ClassicWB, i'm also struggling with original OS3.1 and also now seem to be having trouble with the keyboard too.

Basically the machine is now set up as stock 030.

The keyboard problems are a little hit and miss. The Caps Lock doesn't seem to work at all but i can get Caps with shift.
Although occasionally i get no response from the keyboard at all and have to turn the machine off and back on again a few times before it will work.

I can use the 512mb CF you sent with AmigaSYS installed and the machine boots fine and runs ok.
If i take the 4gb CF out of my A1200, which has ClassicWB Full installed, configured and working, and insert it into the A400 it tells me that workbench is not validated or has a checksum error.
If i put it back in the A1200 it works fine again.
If i boot my Original OS3.1 Floppies, i can set up partitions and format my CF card and install 3.1 but again when i reboot workbench is not validated or has a checksum error.
I have also downloaded the latest ClassicWB from the internet and tried copying that over and again i get not validated or checksum error.
However all setups work fine on the A1200.
Just in case it was the CF i was using i have now tried 3 different brands, an unbranded Chinese Fake 4gb, a Transcend & a Kingston genuine.
I'm getting rather puzzled lol

Mike

@SS

Mike out of curiosity what's the partition's max transfer setting on the working AmigaSYS CF??

Also regarding the 4GB cards try using less than the 4GB capacity of the Cards,, for example for test purposes, lets have 1GB DH0 & 2GB DH1, ensure DH0 starts right at the beginning of the card & DH1 follows immediately after, leave the rest of the space unpartitioned.

See how that works :wink:

TC 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom