Apollo 630 + A603 + IndyECS: issue being used together(A600)

PhilipMcD

Country
Country
Region
Region
I was reading this info page on Amiga Hardware Database before my A603 arrived.

The page says that the A603 doesn't fit properly with the Apollo, and then also mentions that even with those two installed, fitting an IndivisionECS would be impossible on an Amiga 600.

Well, I decided to test that theory today.

The Apollo does obstruct the A603, but I managed to 'fit' the Apollo on top of it - this has the drawback of Apollo being even less physically stable than before, and one of the Indy pin holes on A603 being covered by the Apollo!

So, as far as I can see, the Indy would be impossible to fit with those two expansions. I have pictures of the problem attached to this post.

Note: I am not actually sure if there could be a mod done.. would be a shame if that's the end of it though for A600/Apollo owners. ;-(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 2
Re: Apollo 630 + A603 + IndyECS: issue being used together(A600)

well it's a bit tight but you could replace the trace on the apollo with a wire, which means you could then remove the piece of board that's covering the offending pin slot, just a thought (y)

@PhilipMcD

Ahhh m8, thats just terrible..... looks like your just gonna have to give me that Apollo A630 after all ;) :ROTFLOL2:

the socket wont be a problem, to be honest one can make a small extention using a 48pin DIP connector to 50wired SCSI cable and then to another 48 pin connector.

of course this means a little soldering.

although saying that, you are much better off just using some pin socket strips for extending 47 of the pins and just run a smidge of 30AWG from the bottom of the A603 card to the pin 48 of the extender.

I'm not dissing Zetr0's comments in any manner, but after JuvUK's post, I think Juzzer was trying to say, "Shave a bit off!" :mrgreen:

PMSL!!

Kin

Kin Hell said:
I'm not dissing Zetr0's comments in any manner, but after JuvUK's post, I think Juzzer was trying to say, "Shave a bit off!" :mrgreen:

PMSL!!

Kin

lol Kin "very clever" i'm impressed, well done you! :bowdown:

/....sniggerisation & then some!.... :mrgreen:

Kin Hell said:
/....sniggerisation & then some!.... :mrgreen:

PMSL!!!!!! :woot: :ROTFLOL2: :woot: :ROTFLOL2:

@ JuvUK

Thanks, looks like I'm gonna have to if I'm gonna get around this issue. I had considered a home-made adapter like Zetr0 said but I'm not sure if that could create signal problems. From what I understand, the Indy is best as close as possible to the graphics chip itself!

@ All

Not sure if you guys can tell this from the first picture, but the A603 had to bend downward somewhat for the Apollo to fit at all. The only other option is to bend the Apollo, which is out the question because of how badly it fits already. Well to be fair, it fits quite easily.. just comes off very easily as well. *sighs*

Man this is lame, you would have thought Jens had an Apollo to test with before making this thing. Didn't he intend on selling a remake of the Apollo once? He surely would have needed one for that!

Jens have the Apollo's design ownership. But he don't like it.

And the ACA630 (his own creation) have his development currently suspended.

But some guys are creating a new 020 and possible a 030 new design...

Weren't you working on at 20 or 30 accelerator rkauer with Zetr0? I would be very interested in seeing how that goes forward.

Nathan

There is an ingenious mod for this on the Extreme Amiga 600 Upgrading Page:

Click here

We'll need an additional socket though!

PhilipMcD said:
There is an ingenious mod for this on the Extreme Amiga 600 Upgrading Page:

Click here

We'll need an additional socket though!

Zetr0 said:
of course this means a little soldering.

although saying that, you are much better off just using some pin socket strips for extending 47 of the pins and just run a smidge of 30AWG from the bottom of the A603 card to the pin 48 of the extender.

looks like some one else had the same idea lol! awesome =)

I'm sorry, I didn't notice that on your post first-time around.

Back
Top Bottom